Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cosham, Hampshire

Dragon

I just wanted to say public thanks to Keith for his fantastic help in unravelling some of the mysteries of Portsmouth's drill halls.

Thanks to him, Google Earth, Portsmouth Local Studies (City Library), and not forgetting Graeme's persistence, we've come a very long way since I first posed this question. A city with the continuing presence of two armed forces is terribly complicated compared with a simple town which had one drill hall and an admiring local newspaper.

Gwyn

• 11 years later...
On 18/01/2008 at 18:02, Dragon said:

Does anyone live in Cosham, Hampshire and could answer a little question for us, please?

It concerns the exact location of the drill hall which has been suggested as being on Albert Road's junction with Pervin road, but we can't confirm this with Google maps. The premises there look like houses. The building at the junction with Aldroke Street looks more likely to be / have been a drill hall.

I'm not asking anyone to make a special trip, but if someone local knows the answer it would clear up a puzzle.

Many thanks

Gwyn

HI,I HAVE JUST SEEN YOUR POST AND I CAN CONFIRM THAT I NOW LIVE IN A BLOCK OF 8 FLATS WHICH WERE ORIGINALLY THE DRILL HALL YOU REFER TO! IT WAS BETWEEN THE MILK DAIRY AND THE SCHOOL ON ALBERT ROAD ON THE SOUTH SIDE OPPOSITE NUMBERS 11 TO 17 ALBERT ROAD ! THE DAIRY IS NOW AN OLD PEOPLES HOME AND THE SCHOOL ( COSHAM JUNIORS AND INFANTS) HAS NOW BEEN DEMOLISHED AND HOUSES HAVE BEEN BUILT IN THERE PLACE! I KNOW THIS AS IT SHOWS THE DRILL HALL STRUCTURE AND IN ANOTHER DRAWING ITS POSITION ON ALBERT ROAD IN THE PLANS OF MY PROPERTY DOCUMENTS! IT ALSO HAD AN ALLEYWAY RUNNING BEHIND IT NAMED HAS  " THE DROKE" ON MY PLANS  HOPEFULLY THIS HELPS, REGARDS MR COLIN JOHNSON

Edited by Guest
TO CORRECT AND ADD MORE INFORMATION

I managed to pick up some post WW2 OS 1:25000 maps a few months ago. Here's the relevant one from 1949.

Keith

IMG_0151.JPG

Edited by keithmroberts

Hello Colin and welcome

Thank you for the extra information! I've just had a look on Google street view and I think I know what you mean. When I have a moment I'll revisit the old maps.

Edit - Keith posted while I was writing my post, so thanks for clarifying, Keith.

The website needs updating and rewriting, so it will be a little whole before we can add more details.

Gwyn

Edited by Dragon