Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Julius Bank.On parents headstone as lost at sea enemy action. Not on C

Hywyn

Hywyn

Just to put another angle on this one.

I believe that Julius's father was born in Germany. He died in 1904 and it seems that Julius's mother moved to West Derby as she was there when she died in 1915, the year before Julius got married. Is it possible therefore that as both his parents were deceased that he decided to join the German war effort?

The grave inscription may have been added by relatives who were supporters of Germany?

Myrtle

Thanks all for the inputs and suggestions.

I have been away some days and have been able to pop into the Archives where I looked up local papers.

In a paper dated 17/9/1918 I found

"The sad news has been received about the death of a well known native of the village namely Mr Julius Bank, formerly of Bangor Street and brother of Mr John Bank, Tanrallt. He was an Engineer on a ship belonging to the Dominion Line and it appears that the ship, on 3rd August, was sunk by the enemy whereby he, together with 2 or 3 others, lost their lives. He was about 38 years old. He leaves behind a widow and a young daughter (who live in Liverpool) as well as two brothers and a sister."

This information supports the fact that I am looking at a merchant seaman rather than a serviceman.

I cannot see any Dominion Line sinkings that fit the info.

I have double checked the BMD Index for 1918 and cannot see him there (unless there is a huge typo). There is nothing to suggest that he may have used an Alias.

Re the Warilda, Geoffs machine turns up 7 crewmen casualties. All are on Tower Memorial. Which Death Index would they be on? I've checked two on the 'ordinary' one with nil return. Even if Julius was with them then surely his American status would not exclude him showing on a Death Index?

Re the two US vessels that report casualties. Would those casualties (ie merchant navy men) show on the aforemention US services index?

Of course, it could be that he did not die and turned up weeks/months later. The same person that supplied the newspaper with the info could have arranged the inscription on the parential headstone. I see that his brother John died in the last quarter of 1918.

Hywyn

PS

Should a moderator come across this thread could cosideration be given to moving it please to possible non-commemoration sub forum.

PS

Should a moderator come across this thread could cosideration be given to moving it please to possible non-commemoration sub forum.

Your wish is etc. etc.