Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

looking for Great Grandfather

Guest LeeGreensall

Guest LeeGreensall

Hello all, im trying to find information about my great grandfather George Greensall. All i know is on 9th October 1907( age would be 24 at this time) he was a private in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment. At sometime he apparently had a steel plate put in his head. He was still alive in 1964 as i have a photo of him on my fathers wedding photo. picture below.

Can anybody help.

Thanks

Lee

post-20-1075329040.jpg

Hi Lee

This might be him.

The name "G Greensall" Service No. 8115, Royal Warwickshire Regt., appeared twice in the Birmingham Daily Post casualty lists:-

11 Dec, 1914 Pte Wounded

25 Aug , 1916 Cpl, Wounded

No battalion was given. However with the first wound being in 1914, he could have only been with the Regulars.

The date is shown is not the date he was wounded, but when the names were published. The actual wound date would be approx 7 or more days before. Have you his medals to check the service number.

His service papers may still survive in the PRO.

If this is your grandfather, then you are in luck, the following was taken from the 'National Roll of the Great War (Birmingham)'

Regards

Terry

post-20-1075362653.jpg

Guest LeeGreensall

It looks good Terry, my families name is unusal in that not many people share it. It stands a good chance that this is him. I will look further into it from info you have given me.

Thanks

Lee