Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pre Great War Officer's Records

Guest Simon Bull

Guest Simon Bull

I am researching a particular officer (Lieutenant-Colonel Curtis, commanding officer between 1914 and 1916 of the 4th Northamptonshire Regiment, although formerly serving as a regular in the Bedfordshire Regiment before his retirement in 1909). I have obtained his service records but they are virtually silent about his pre-Great War service. There is a short resume showing that he became a Second Lieutenant in 1888, and then showing how he worked his way through the ranks before retiring in 1909 as a Major. There are then extensive papers relating to his pension entitlement and some papers relating to his Great War service.

I am interested in finding out more about his original period of service as a regular. Is it likely that there will be a second set of records somewhere dealing with this? If not, can I least attempt to find out something about which campaigns he was in by seeking to find out which campaign medals he was awarded? Is there an index to pre-Great War campaign medals? Can anyone give me any other ideas about how I might find out more about his pre-Great War service?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Simon,

I am researching both General Snow and Major-General Forestier-Walker. I have found it very difficult in many respects to find info about their early careers. It has been hard work. I have trolled the net and libraries. I have also searched IWM and the Pro for relevant brigades etc and places of services. Also I have contacted regimental museums and the like. It has been helped by others posting on this forum as well.

I have actually enjoyed it and often have found that soemtimes the info is in the most obvious of places.

No answers for you in reality i am afraid but I beleive that many of the officers who saw service in the high command were moulded before 1914 and thus this is an era that deserves much analysis.

regards.

Arm.

Simon

Harts Army List for 1915 lists officers alphabetically and shows their pre-war service. In here you will find out details of which campaigns he was involved in. I use the copy at the PRO but a reprint is available and maybe one of the Pals has a copy.

Another source I found for the Buffs is wo76/468. This gives prewar service for the 1st Battalion officers and other details including education, marriage details, courses taken, etc. Although this reference is for the Buffs, I'm sure there will be a series for the Bedfordshire Regiment.

This reference may include him

WO 68/375 4th Battalion, Bedfordshire Regiment, formerly Hereford Militia Record of Officers' Services (A.B.82). 1898-1915

Michael