Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Giles Sykes

Peter Bennett

Following some personal correspondence with Terry Denham, he recommends that I put this on the Forum.

http://www.examiner.co.uk:80/news/tm_objec...-name_page.html

There is a strong possibility that Giles Sykes, who died of tuberculosis in Honley Nr Huddersfield on 06/06/1920 is the same man whose details are below, and that his death was service related.

Any pals going to Kew or any further ideas please let me know.

Thank you

Peter

Medal card of Sykes, Giles

Corps

Regiment No

Rank

York and Lancaster Regiment

Private

Labour Corps

Private

Peter

I can fill in a little about his service record.

His Labour Corps number indicates that he was one of the original members of the Corps following its formation in 1917. It also places him, initially at least, in 202 Company.

202 was an Area Employment Company located in Salonica. The bad news is that it did not keep a War Diary or if it did it no longer exists so there is no information about exactly where they were located. The best I can tell you is that during 1918 they were working for 12 Corps.

Regards

Ivor

The problem Peter has is that the death certificate mentions nothing of a military nature on it and so proving it belongs to the other man is difficult.

It needs some sort of link between the man on the memorial, the MIC and the death certificate!

• 2 weeks later...

The newspaper article mentions the building that used to be the asylum for this area, including Honley. It is student accommodation now.

If he was from the Honley area there may be a report in the Holmfirth Express and there should be something in the Examiner. I will check for June 1920. Also his family may have put in a notice in the deaths column. I will take a look when I get a chance.

Tony.

I can’t find anything at all in the Weekly Examiner or the Holmfirth Express. I will try the Daily Examiner sometime next week, there may just be something in there.

Tony.