Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brigadier-General NT Nickalls.

armourersergeant

Has anyone any info Brigadier General Norman Tom Nickalls...formerly 17th lancers returned to duty i beleive at the outbreak of the war and became commander of 63rd brigade , 21st division. He was killed in action 26th sept 1915 at Loos.

I have a bit around the action at loos when he deid but was wondering if someone had a brief career history of him, have tried liddel hart etc.

ta

Arm.

Arm

Nickalls was born in 1864 and educated at Eton. Commissioned into the 17th Lancers in November 1886, after service in the Militia, he served in S Africa 1901-1902. Brigadier General in August 1914, commanding 63 Infantry Brigade, 21 st Division.

Terry Reeves

Terry if you dont mind me asking where did you get this info from?

thanks

Arm.

• 11 years later...

The Bolton Evening News of Thursday 03/06/1915 reported that on Wednesday Brigadier General N T Nickalls was fined two guineas at Scarborough for assaulting a young civil servant named Horsman at a recruiting drive. The Brigadier had asked Mr Horsman if he would enlist and Horsman replied that the Government would not release him. Nickalls said, "That's a lie, I don't believe you". Horsman reached for his papers and said, "I will prove who is the liar". At this point Nickalls struck him saying, "I'll teach you to call me a liar". Nickalls explained to the Bench that a man in his position who was so insulted had no other redress whether it was legal or not. Between the incident and the Court Hearing Horsman had obtained his release and enlisted. The two men shook hands after the hearing.