Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distinguished Conduct Medal 1914-1920

Guest Hill 60

Lee

Could you have a look for Sapper James McKay DCM Royal Engineers.

Much appreciated. I have a poem that was written by an Ayrshire Policeman of the time for James McKay. It was recited at a concert and presentation for him at The Constitution Hall, Whitletts, Ayr, on the Thursday Evening of the 27th December, 1917. He was the Great Uncle of a friend of mine, and the original pragramme of the occasion is in his possesion. Presumably he was home on leave for this. I can post or email it to you off forum if you like.

Welcome back.

Regards

James

Lee

Thanks for the information

Regards Doug

Lee

Thanks for the LG citation details, know where to look now. :)

Cheers

Steve

Could you have a look for Sapper James McKay DCM Royal Engineers.

James - Here you are:

79942 Sapper McKay, J. 173 Tun Coy. LG citation date - 09/10/15

I wouldn't mind seeing the poem, I have links with Ayrshire (Kilmarnock) so it would be interesting.

I'll contact you off forum, and thanks for the welcome back :)

Thanks Lee

I'll pass this info on to his Great Nephew, he will be delighted.

Email me and i'll send a copy of the poem.

Regards

James

Guest tomhalifax

Hello Lee,

I am trying to find out why my great-uncle 2nd lieutenant Thomas William Sharpe of the Labour Corps received his DCM.

His date of death is listed on the CWGC website as 05/07/1918, but I have visited his grave in Sheffield some years back, and I'm sure the date is much later.

I would be most grateful if you could look it up for me.

Many thanks,

Tony Sharpe

Tony - I've had a look in the Labour Corps section, but there isn't a mention of your great uncle. I've also had a look at the London Gazette site (look here), but I can't find him there either :(

As an officer couldn't get the DCM, I don't suppose you know what rank (or even regiment) he had prior to his promotion?

There are about 25,000 names in the DCM book, so without a positive piece of info I'm a little stuck. To give you an idea, so far I've come across the following man:

Coldstream Guards 11672 Sjt Sharpe, TW - London Gazette citation date 14/11/16.

If you could find out anymore about Thomas then I should be able to help you a bit more.

Oh yes, welcome to the Forum!

Guest tomhalifax

Hi Lee,

many thanks for your prompt reply!

I think you've got the right man, although I had always thought that Thomas, being born in Ashbourne, Derbyshire had joined the Notts. and Derby Regt (Sherwood Foresters) like his brothers.

His brother Percy, who was KIA, received the Military Medal while serving with the 2nd Bt. SF's.

I wonder if Thomas had been injured, and subsequently moved to the Labour Corps, and perhaps given his promotion then.

Could that be a possibility?

Tony.

Tom - Big possibility! My grandfather was in the Buffs (never have found his battalion), he was wounded 4 times and ended up in the Labour Corps.

There is an expert on the Labour Corps on this forum (Ivor Lees, I think), put a question to him as he might be able to help.

ps: I could only find one TW Sharpe in the book, although there was a T. Sharpe but I don't think that was your man.

Guest tomhalifax

Lee,

I'm in contact with the Coldstream Guards website to see if I can find where their T. W. Sharpe enlisted.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again for your excellent help and advice.

Tony.

• 5 months later...

Lee

could you look up the following chaps for me

8939 Sgt J Findlay 1 HLI

12361 Sgt J W Forrest 3 Worcs. Regt

8286 Sgt J E Wood 1 E. Yorks Regt

Thanks

George