Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unusual Officers map case

grantsmil

I am trying to identify this type of map case. It belonged to an officer who spent some time in the Royal Artillery. I am not sure if there is a pattern name or number type for this map case, but I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Folded it is about 30 x 35 cms, opened it is 70 cms. Oddly it appears to be meant to worn on the back, like a small pack, it has two short, adjustable shoulder straps. On the outside it has a large pocket, which is probable for carrying folded maps, and on the rear it has another deep pocket and two pencil holders, both pockets would have been held closed by two buttons, which are long since gone.

If anyone knows if this is specifically made for officers’ or not I would love to find out.

And seen when opened.

post-6040-1200206070.jpg

post-6040-1200206083.jpg

post-6040-1200206139.jpg

post-6040-1200206150.jpg

I can't see it being worn on the back, the straps are not long enough to get your arms in!

I think more likely worn on the leg whilst on horseback?

Never seen one like it though.

Guy

I can't see it being worn on the leg, the straps are too long to secure to your leg.

I think it's unlikely to be worn on the leg whilst on horseback? Is any other equipment worn that way?

post-6040-1200292923.jpg

post-6040-1200292938.jpg

Seeing those pictures (very interesting BTW)

Might be it worn by someone accompanying the officer? so it could be opened up on his (the accompanying individual's) back and unfolded and read by the officer? rather than being carried by the person actually using the map?

just a thought...

Is there a board or any stiffening built in ? .... if so then I would suggest it was used for sketching.

My copy of a "Manual of map reading and field sketching 1912" describes the cavalry sketching board as worn on the forearm with a magnetic compass fixed in with two rollers on opposite sides of the board enabling a long strip of paper 7 and 1/8 inches wide to be wound on !

Hope this helps

Dave

Is there a board or any stiffening built in ? .... if so then I would suggest it was used for sketching.

My copy of a "Manual of map reading and field sketching 1912" describes the cavalry sketching board as worn on the forearm with a magnetic compass fixed in with two rollers on opposite sides of the board enabling a long strip of paper 7 and 1/8 inches wide to be wound on !

Hope this helps

Dave

The one with the rollers is much much smaller!, And it is made of wood with a compass in the top.

I stand corrected, it is difficult to judge scale from pictures.

Might it have been worn on the chest, on horseback, so that you could open it and read the lower flap yourself? You would only need to look down. Then you could do it up again when not in use?

Guy

The name Captain A F B Cottrell is significant. The medal index cards list Captain Arthur Foulkes Baglietto Cottrell as serving with the No 3 Royal Field Artillery Cadet School before transferring to the 2nd Brigade Royal Field Artillery with the rank of Major.

I would suggest that it is a map case used on training exercises.

Thanks to the members neiluk (Neil) and Stebie9173 (Steve), in the post '96100 DVR. J.T. THOMPSON RFA- LOCATIONS'

Some of the history of the owner of the map case is described. I agree that he is most likely to be Captain Arthur Foulkes Baglietto Cottrell, DSO, (and the Serbian Order of the White Eagle, 5th Class, with Swords). His service appears to extend from 1911 to well into the 1930s.

Is there a difference between map cases used on training exercises and 'in the field'?

Hello,

An interesting thread. Gunner and other officers need maps and a map mounted on a board is often more use than one simply folded. I don't know if the 'chinagraph pencil' and 'talc' were in use in WW1. I would have thought they would have been useful to a Gunner observation officer in a ballon basket or in an OP with a long view. A map board is an awkward item to carry about on foot. The carrier illustrated would solve the problem even if it had to be taken off when the map was in use.

Old Tom

It doesn't seem to have the arrow mark which would suggest it wasn't 'official' issue. This it more than likely because there was very little 'official issue' of officers kit apart from normal web equipment I think, and even that may have been only for officers in infantry, sealed regimental patterns for uniforms, swords, etc was about as close as it got.

However, there was a thriving business of private sector companies producing accoutrements, clothing and instruments. Just looking at a page showing adverts from the RA Journal of the period shows JH Steward Ltd of 406 Strand London WC 2 advertising 6 in protractor (this may have been an official design because its the same as used in WW2 and later, possibly even now) and mentions other protractors, scales and 'special MT tables for MT Moves', another deals in assorted fans, then there's a very fancy 'Auto Range Corrector' and finally a 'Military Map Case. Double sided, Celluloid covered so that two maps can always be visible' (pictured). These are available in 15 x 11 inches (1pound 15 shillings) and 21 x 14 1/2 inches (2 pds 2s 6d) a bargain for you sir. A leather sling and swivels was extra as were 'special clips to enable Fans to be used'. Unpictured is a 'Folding Khaki Map case 17 x 14 inch stiff boards, one with clips for message pad, other Celluloid or Rhodiod coverd map surface 15 x 11 inch Pencil loops, pocket and leather sling'for the princley sum of 2pds 7s 6d.

If you are interested in this area then I'm sure you have a collection of copies of adverts from the various military journals of the period.

An aferthought, remember at this period there were equipment repairers in the battery who would have been quite capable of adding shoulder straps to a map board if that's what one of the officers wanted, in fact they could have proably made the whole thing.

Nigelfe,

I do not usually collect British officer's accoutrements, and I would be interested in any information you have on this type of map case, the measurement of the individual map sleeves are are about 12" x 13".

Or perhaps you could direct me to where I could view a collection of copies of adverts from the various military journals of the period.

Nigelfe,

I do not usually collect British officer's accoutrements, and I would be interested in any information you have on this type of map case, the measurement of the individual map sleeves are are about 12" x 13".

Or perhaps you could direct me to where I could view a collection of copies of adverts from the various military journals of the period.

I don't have any information on any apart from what appears in adverts. I suggest trying the State Library in Adelaide and seeing what they subscribed to at that time, eg the London RUSI Journal. If you want RA Journals then I belive the State Library in Melbourne subscribed and the library at the National RAA Museum at N Head has about 60% for that period. I don't think the AWM has any.

• 2 years later...

I came across this forum by chance looking for information regarding my Grandfather Brigadier Arthur F B Cottrell DSO OBE late of the RA. I was astounded when I saw the map case and his name on it as was his daughter my mother who is now in her 90's. I would be very interested to know, Grantsmil, the story of your acquiring the case and any information about it.

• 2 years later...
  • 5 years later...

On the off-chance that Tony returns, he might also be interested in the short biography and photo of A F B Cottrell on www.58FAB.com.  The information comes largely from his service record at Kew and the War Diary of 58th Bde RFA, supplemented by other sources, including the London Gazette.  The photo comes from the National Gallery, courtesy of its Creative Commons licence.