Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Calling up of Reserves Aug 1914

kinnethmont

I am trying to work out the likely movements of a Gordon Highlander in August 1914.

The man served as a Regular in the Gordons prior to WW1. I believe he joined for seven years c 1905 and know that after he came out he went to Canada. I know he was recalled from Canada as a reserve and joined the 2nd Batt at Southampton when they returned from Cairo in October 1914 before proceeding to Ypres the next week.

Were reserves called back to the Regiment or the battalion in which they had previously served ?

Could this man have served with 1st Gordons and been then assigned to the 2nd ?

Any advice appreciated.

kinnethmont,

Reserves were called back to their Regiment from which they belonged. That is he was a Gordon in the Reserves. He could have served in either Regular Battalion, or in fact both Battalions, before the war. So he could have served in the 1st Gordon's before the war.

I've never read if a reservist was given a preference as to which Regular Bn he could rejoin, anyway if this was the case it probably was very un-official. By Oct 1914 he probably was sent where he was most needed.

It seems that Section A and B reservists were for the most part posted immediately back to one of the Regular Battalions of their regiment. Section D might be sent to the Reserve Bn before being posted.

Your man was a Section B reservist.

Joe Sweeney

Jas,

Yes I know the difference bewtween the variuos types of reserve. I did post an explaination. Look under Other--Army Reserve 1914--from last October.

I haven't found any discussion on the mechanism of call-up. I would imagine it would be a combination of Telegram and public notice.

Section A reservists receiving the most time critical notification. The other sections through public notice.

Hope this helps,

Joe