Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

The casualties we may forget.

David_Bluestein

My dad and I have often debated the question, how soon after a conflict can someone died and it reasonable be considered a war casualty. Of course there is the argument that if you die from your wounds that should be the only criterion. I would offer an extreme example of that though. My great-uncle was gassed on the western front and was given only six months to live. He died in 1957 from complications of the gassing.

I never knew him, but his life as I understand it was a mixture of normalcy and severe agony. Though the argument could be made that although he was able to live a productive life for a considerable time after the war he still did in fact succumb to his injuries that many years later.

Footnote..... my dad and I have not come to a conclusion if he really should be considered a war casualty ourselves.

This is a very interesting thread and, in my view, it is what this forum is all about.

To ensure that the memory of all those that served in WW1 is not forgotten.

Thank You to everyone for such an interesting read.

PAUL JOHNSON :ph34r:

He died in 1957 from complications of the gassing.

Do you know how this conclusion was reached? If you felt able to share any information, I would be interested to know what symptoms he experienced.

The debate about what time interval can be associated with 'Died of wounds' is a very interesting one. For example, there will have been many men who died of chronic infections, particularly in bone, long after their wounds were inflicted.

Archived