Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another One in from the Cold

Terry Denham

Terry,

The village (as it was then ... urban connurbation now) is Rainham, Kent.

I have some details on the original decisions taken on the War Memorial ... the budget, stone mason, design decisions etc, but many of the Parish records were mysteriously were absent when Rainham was transferred to the Borough of Gillingham in 1928/9, and have not been seen since.

Signals

Here is an example of a mistake I found on the Elland war memorial.

H H Holroyd is listed quite plainly. His name however is Hall Hepworth.

A fellow researcher found Hall Hepworth on another church memorial and told me he thought he might be the missing Holroyd.

Hepworth is on the CWGC register and is undoubtedly from Elland. I then looked on the 1901 census and found a Holroyd family living in Elland who had a son (not stepson) of the right age called Hall Hepworth. Why his name was different I still don't know.

What I think happened was Mr Holroyd put his son's name forward as Hall Hepworth and whoever was responsible for collating the names assumed that they were his first names and hey presto we get H H Holroyd on the memorial.

One down a couple of dozen to go.

Regards

Rob

Cant agree more.. some of the names on my memorial here in Stock are quite wrong and they do lead you a merry dance. Dont believe anything till it is in black and white and looks official.

John

Thanks for your advice. May be I will start again searching for a Goodwin or Godwin and see hwat happens. As I said earlier there were two Goodwins and one Godwin family (from memory) and I can trace baptisms from the church registers for approiate names and WW1 era ages - then go back to SDGW and CWGC and see what returns I get.

Regarding the CWGC cut off date of August 31 1921. The military recognition of an otherwise civilian grave is reported by the erection of a CWGC headstone on the grave of Harold Kent, MM, late of the Yorkshire Regiment who is interred in the New Cemetery,Castleford, West Yorkshire.

The Pontefract and Castleford Express of Thursday October 16 2003 reports the erection of the CWGC headstone on Harold Kent's grave after representation to the CWGC by Harold's nephew,Alan Town.

Regards

Frank East

post-1-1075637706.jpg

Frank's story also shows that it can be done.

The 'post-discharge' death is the hardest to prove because the onus is on the rersearcher to prove that the death was a result of war service - not always possible.

Here's to Harold Kent MM - remembered at last.

His details from CWGC are...

KENT, Harold MM

Private 62837

1 Bn, Yorkshire Regt (formerly 44506 Lincolnshire Regt)

Died 09.05.20 Age 21

Son of Mrs Alice Kent of 4 Twivey’s Building, Cutsyke, Castleford, Yorks

Grave: N.77

Castleford Cemetery