Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

memorial plaque to a Non Commemorative

welshdoc

Following on from a thread in the British medal forum, I’m trying to research a possible non commemorate chap called Frank Cadwallader. There is a memorial Plaque in existence with a Woolwich mark. The only persons who may fit one I found on free BMD of the right sort of age and date of death was from and died in Atcham near Shrewsbury in Shropshire May-June 1917. The only other I can find is an American Lieutenant (AEF) buried in Furness County Nebraska in 1918, which I don’t think is him.

There is no MIC or CWGC entry nor is he on Soldiers died. There are no Australian, New Zealand or Canadian army records for him, nor royal Navy.

Now the question does anyone have or do you know anyone who may have any information about him. With the Shropshire connection I tried to contact Annette our resident Shropshire lass but her PM is full. So as I have reached the end of my research experience I present this one to the forum experts.

Cheers Gareth

Gareth

No-one called Frank amongst the overseas deaths so I think you may have your man at Atcham. Only way to be sure is to order the death certificate - you'd need that anyway for submission to CWGC if he is a non-comm.

John

Thanks John thats another peice of good information. I understand that there is an Atchem memorial charity so Im trying to find a contact to them to see if they have any information. Gareth

Thanks Terry, but as far as I can see he is the only one of the right age range in all the BMD records.

I have a 'silvered' death plaque issued to a man who is not in the CWGC nor is he in SDGW but he is on the MIC roll. Its just as well he had a unique name or I would never have nailed him down.

Regards.

Tom.

Gareth

no one of the name Frank Cadwallader in Pension Records

Chris

• 12 years later...

The only serviceman I can find with this name is Francis James Cadwallader, 14097 Lancashire Fusiliers & 112940 Labour Corps. He was from Clun in Shropshire but he appears to have died in 1954.