Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Northern Command Depot (Ripon), Royal Field Artillery

Polar Bear

Hello,

Another set of queries. Sorry. I think it fits in this forum.

1) Can anyone tell me the specifics of this place. While I think I know roughly what it would have done, I would like to know for sure, as I'm just making an (educated?) guess. I must admit I couldn't find anything specific about the rear echelons of the RFA on the Long, Long, Trail.

2) Would a soldier here have been part of a specific regiment or actually assigned to the depot. From the CWGC it looks like Fitter Henry Samson George Stait, 11929 was assigned to it. Is that correct, or would he have had a 'parent formation.'

3) Did anything specific happen there on 11th March 1917. Was there an accident? I imagine these places wouldn't have passed modern Health and Saftey rules! Or did he just die of disease? Any help would be appreciated. I know this one is a long shot.

4) Finally, while I'm here. What exactly did a Fitter do? I'm pretty sure I'm right in thinking that he kept the guns working. I.e. that he was on the repair side of things.

Any help on any of these would be extremely appreciated.

Hugh.

Hugh

The Northern Command Depot was a convalescent hospital. Henry would have been posted to it, and "on the strength" there, as part of the process of recovery. I can only guess that he died of disease on 11 March 1917. I can't imagine there was a life-threatening incident.

Info about Command Depots is on the LLT.

Thank you.

It turns out that my thoughts on Northern Command Depot (Ripon) were completely wrong. I couldnt find any info on your site because I was looking in the wrong place because I didnt realise it was a 'medical' facility. I was assuming - on no evidence I now realise - that it was an 'ordnance' facility. However your reply has pointed me in the right direction andof course opens up many more questions! I had thought finding the information on Henry would be the easiest of the 4 I'm looking into. Not so.

Anyway, thanks again.

Hugh