Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Casualty Lists

stiletto_33853

Charlie

I'm working on it, but only with the RE wounded 1916 and to an extent 1917. I have got a large number of lists that are too faint to post but I am in the process of deciphering them. Many of the names and numbers will not come up on a FMP search. I am also putting all the lists I have got into a chronological order and using FMP to identify in whose records they can be found. 

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547
typo

On 24/08/2019 at 10:41, clk said:

I think that you'll need to look later than that

Thanks Chris.

I found him listed on the 14th May.

Bob

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2008 at 12:31, SteveE said:

Sick and Wounded N.C.O.s and Men of the Expeditionary Force - Mediterranean

List No. H.5125 7th & 8th January 1916

Royal Horse and Royal Field Artillery.

Moore, T. #64? Bdr. R.F.A. 54 Div.

Reilly, J. #84316 Dvr. R.F.A. 147 Bde. A.S.

Samby, E. #20381 Gnr. R.F.A. 58 Bde.

Edwards, W. #91033 Gnr. R.F.A. 57 Bde.

Jackson, W. #5768 Dvr. R.F.A. 147 Bde. A.C.

McGuigan, A. #63 Gnr. R.F.A. 60 Bde.

Hopkins, W. #24641 Dvr. R.F.A. C. Bty. 60 Bde.

Graves, J. #9227 Bdr. R.F.A. 92 Bty. 17 Bde.

Royal Garrison Artillery

Last, H. #38036 Bdr. R.G.A. 17 Sge. Bty. 24 Bde.

Brownhill, W. #50313 Gnr. R.G.A. 17 Sge. Bty. 24 Bde.

SteveE,

I've just been through this really excellent thread looking both for possible mentions of family members who served in WW1 and for those who served in 11th (Northern) Divisions artillery units.  While I drew a blank on the family members I found over 20 of the latter so have added them to the database.  Thanks so much to you, stiletto_33853, brianmorris547 and others for all the information listed here.  I shall certainly keep an eye open for any of these I may stumble across.

I wondered if your kind offer (of over 11 years ago!) still stands with regards to the information you provided?  If so, I'd be very interested in any additional information you might have for Samby, McGuigan and Hopkins above. 

Very many thanks again,

David.

30 minutes ago, David26 said:

Samby

You are probably aware that this should read Sanby and that his service record survives ?

Entry 2B Balkans 9/8/15

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

29 minutes ago, David26 said:

Hopkins, W. #24641 Dvr. R.F.A. C. Bty. 60 Bde.

I suspect this should be Hopkins 34641 ?

-although he has entry France with 25 Bde, 16/8/14.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

25 minutes ago, David26 said:

McGuigan, A. #63 Gnr. R.F.A. 60 Bde

I suspect this is Andrew McGuigan 93163   

entry  3 (Egypt) 19/7/15

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

Charlie,

that's super, thank you.  I hadn't yet started researching these three men, so you've given me some really helpful time-savers there!

David.

I followed this thread for about 8 years and have copies of all the lists posted up until then. Unfortunately H 5125 was not among them

3 hours ago, Bardess said:

I followed this thread for about 8 years and have copies of all the lists posted up until then. Unfortunately H 5125 was not among them

Diane

H 5125 Med was a list that Steve E found in the SWB Rolls WO 329/3035 at Kew where the reverse side had been used to compile the rolls. They have not been indexed by FMP because they do not appear in the Service or Pension records of any soldier. Taking a lead from Steve I copied all of them at Kew some years ago and also found more in 329/3036. I think you kindly posted them on here for me at that time. Not all of the lists in 3035 and 3036 appear in the digitised records of the SWB rolls now available on Ancestry. I have trawled through all the SWB rolls looking for more but without much success. Any I did find are on this thread.

Brian

6 hours ago, David26 said:

I wondered if your kind offer (of over 11 years ago!) still stands with regards to the information you provided?  If so, I'd be very interested in any additional information you might have for Samby, McGuigan and Hopkins above. 

David

If, and it’s a big if, I can lay my hands on the info then I’ll happily add the extra details here.  It may take me a while to find the file of photos though as I think they’re on an old PC I rarely use these days.

Regards

Steve

32 minutes ago, SteveE said:

David

If, and it’s a big if, I can lay my hands on the info then I’ll happily add the extra details here.  It may take me a while to find the file of photos though as I think they’re on an old PC I rarely use these days.

Regards

Steve

Steve,

I do appreciate that I am coming to this rather late!  So if you do happen to find that info, that would be great.  But I know I'm asking a lot! 

Best regards,

David.

15 hours ago, charlie962 said:

I thought they'd also be useful if someone keeps a master list;

Charlie

I have often praised FMP for indexing the names on these lists and identifying in whose record they are to be found. Problem is FMP has not put them into a library, which is what I am trying to do with the 1916-17 RE lists. Since most of the lists I have posted also show RGA/RFA soldiers I had hoped that somebody would be doing the same for those names. Also, RGA/RFA service records of the Gunners on the lists sometimes identify the War Office H number which is useful (on these torn lists).

Brian

11 hours ago, David26 said:

I do appreciate that I am coming to this rather late!  So if you do happen to find that info, that would be great.  But I know I'm asking a lot! 

David

Sorry, not good news I'm afraid.  Old PC failed to boot up and, as that particular folder wasn't amongst my core interests, I didn't put it into my backups so cannot give you the additional details after all. Sorry.

Regards

Steve

Edited by SteveE

11 hours ago, SteveE said:

David

Sorry, not good news I'm afraid.  Old PC failed to boot up and, as that particular folder wasn't amongst my core interests, I didn't put it into my backups so cannot give you the additional details after all. Sorry.

Regards

Steve

Steve,

it's really kind of you to have looked,  Thank you.  And sorry to hear about your old PC.

Best wishes,

David.

• 3 weeks later...

H A 13539 - France - August 1917

Terry

The three SB men are:

47312 Harold Mogg (who is named in the October 1916 casualty lists in WO 95/122/6 which you sent me).

128068 John G Davidson (fly 23614 Northumberland Fus). Not 128069 who was Ward Davidson, (see SDGW 1916).

and 130675 Frederick T Cunningham.

Brian

002.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

H 4967 Med - Jan 1916

001.JPG

Artillery this time.

These C Lists are not as common as the H Lists but they do show more detail i.e date of wound. This one features some names of 166 Brigade RFA in July/August 1916. TLLT has a good section on the Camberwell Gunners of 33 Div. The 166 Brigade WD does not name other ranks and the WD for the CRA is with the 33 Div HQ WDs under piece 2410.

002 (2).JPG