Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Casualty Lists

stiletto_33853

List HB 7483. France, August 1917.

I have often praised FMP for indexing these lists, that are found at random in Service and Pension records. They do not however appear to have catalogued them and so I have no way of knowing how many there are. Forum members please bear with me as I continue to search for 1916 RE lists. 

bm 312.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Now where has this one been hiding. List H A 223 dated June 1916. It just shows that there are still some 1916 RE lists out there.

Also List HA 14632 dated September/October 1917.

bm317.jpg

bm318.jpg

The last entry is an interesting record. 23982 Pte Drake 10 DCLI. 10 DCLI were a Pioneer Battalion for the 2nd Division, but had been transferred temporarily to the 66th Division (East Lancs Div) from July 1917 to Nov 1917 and were involved in operations on the Belgian coast (Operation Hush) prior to Pte Drake being injured, GSW to his right leg.Depending on how long his injuries took to heal his next involvement could have been the defence of the Bourlon Wood area during the withdrawal from the Cambrai Salient Dec 1917.From the frying pan into the fire!

Just to add there is a very nice picture of No. 1 Platoon, A Company, 10th Battalion DCLI on LLT pictured near Le Quesnoy, 27 October 1918. Perhaps Pte Drake might be in it.

Edited by Donald D
Further info.

Donald

I read the 10 DCLI WD (1335/1). The Bn moved into the area from the coast on 26/09/1917 and was put to work on the Wieltje - Gravenstafel road. The work was interrupted by shellfire.

1 o/r wounded on 29th, 8 o/r wounded on 30th.

Brian

On 31/01/2018 at 17:48, brianmorris547 said:

Donald

I read the 10 DCLI WD (1335/1). The Bn moved into the area from the coast on 26/09/1917 and was put to work on the Wieltje - Gravenstafel road. The work was interrupted by shellfire.

1 o/r wounded on 29th, 8 o/r wounded on 30th.

Brian

Brian,

Its nice to add substance to a dry entry on a piece of paper!

• 2 weeks later...

11/3/1915 2nd Western General Hospital, Manchester

30600_192570-00803 copy.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

List HA 7196, March 1917 - France.

bm 324.jpg

List HB 5721 April 1917 - France.

bm 326.jpg

I have been trying to work out who the 895 R.G.A. gunner is. Using the MIC website I have found 895 GNR. GEORGE HARVEY. R.F.A. but as he is not R.G.A. I am not confident he is the one.

4 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

I have been trying to work out who the 895 R.G.A. gunner is. Using the MIC website I have found 895 GNR. GEORGE HARVEY. R.F.A. but as he is not R.G.A. I am not confident he is the one.

The most likely gunner is 348467 William D Harries of the Glamorgan RGA (TF). Highly likely his first TF number was 895, and a nucleus of 78 other ranks were posted from the Glamorgan TF to 172 SB on formation.

Kevin

8 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Jim

I have applied torch and mag lens to the paper copy but it's no clearer. I have only posted two other April 1917 lists and he is not on those. I'm going to the library tomorrow so will check RGA 895 again to see if anything else turns up.

Brian

Thank you both. Kevin, I would have thought that the early TF service number would have been recorded on his MIC. But it is not there. I look forward to what Brian can hopefully find.

2 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

I would have thought that the early TF service number would have been recorded on his MIC.

Why? I have a CD with the complete RGA TF rolls on it and cannot remember any association showing a mans original number, except those that had transferred from other regiments. The TF Assoc.s kept separate rolls for any star medal entitlement, and I do not think that the vast majority of those show the mans later number. 

If you accept that his number was actually 895 and that his surname began with Har then the only likely candidate is the man I posted in my opinion. Neither am I worried that his original number is being used in April 1917. I have seen some gunners who were not renumbered, "in the field", until June 1917, although an awful lot were during February and March. 

If he's not the gunner I said you have to find another man who was renumbered whose original number was 895, whose name began with Har and who served with 172 SB. 

Good luck.

Kevin

7 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Thank you both. Kevin, I would have thought that the early TF service number would have been recorded on his MIC. But it is not there. I look forward to what Brian can hopefully find.

No trace I'm afraid Jim.

Brian

Brian, Thank you for looking. Kevin, I appreciate that you have found 348467 William D Harries of the Glamorgan RGA (TF) as a possible candidate but far too tenuous to be a certainty. Without linking the two service numbers we are lost.

2 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Without linking the two service numbers we are lost.

I have a database after viewing thousands of regular, TF and S/R RGA gunners records and it is from this that I could work out the probable first number for 348467 Harries. Without his service records it is impossible to say it is definitely him, or from doing further research to find other records which show both numbers. I certainly am not going to do it now, but someone else may do the research for you if you are lucky.

Perhaps re-reading page 21 of this thread will give you some pointers for searching for a specific man, regiment, battalion, battery etc. if you decide to have a look yourself.

Kevin

In support of Kevin's suggestion, surrounding records would appear to show that the 3 digit and the 6 digit number would fit together nicely in the range.

#348421 - #835
#348460 - #886
#348467 - #895
#348489 - #917

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Jim

I have a number of lists that are too faint to post and I have checked those as well with no result.

Brian

Kevin, I am a researcher and quite good at it, too. Your suggestion that " Perhaps re-reading page 21 of this thread will give you some pointers for searching for a specific man, regiment, battalion, battery etc. if you look yourself" has not gone down too well with me". Just saying. The question was asked on here because I had exhausted other places to look. Craig has now given evidence that satisfies me. Thank you, Craig.

Jim

For comparison I found a man on a list too faint to post.

896 Dvr Fisk A E - 1/London RGA C Sub Sec TF - sick - Adm County of London War Hosp 16/02/1917. 

He is Albert Edward Fisk and he appears to have separate MICs for his 1914-15 Star under 896 and his BW&V Medals under 318246. His entry in the BW&V Medal Rolls does not show his earlier number (assuming it is the same man). Some Units are identified in the last volume of the RGA1914-15 Medal Rolls but I could not find the Glamorgan RGA to look for number 895 (WO 329/2570).

Brian

Australian Hospital Boulogne

March 1915

30838_156062-00297.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

3rd Ambulance Train, 3/3/15

30836_147812-01097.jpg

List H C 1254 - Egypt - August 1916.

bm 330.jpg