Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Casualty Lists

stiletto_33853

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi can anyone find Robert Tucker of Royal Berkshire Regiment in the casualty lists, he was wounded and lost a leg in 1915. Thanks.

Ah, now I see where Ancestry gets its indexing from.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Looking at the service record form B103 of my grandfather Pte 6332 John Devlin (2nd CG) he is shown at Number 14 Stationary Hospital 11th November 1914 and evacuated to England 18th November 1914 "per List 7205".

Has anyone had sight of that list or any other one featuring him?

Thanks.

Steve Y

Another one - annoyingly there were half a dozen more pages in the records but they were all unreadable.

post-51028-0-82674900-1364509847_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

I'm not savvy enough to make a copy and upload it, but in the Service Record of C/12499 John Beveridge Grant, 21st KRRC, there is the first page of List C520, casualties of the 7th KRRC for the first days of July 1916. It's there because they have used the back of it to list Grant's effects. There is a second page, but unreadable. The list begins with 2/Lt Somers Smith, RW, KIA 30/6 and ends with A 37 Harrold, L, wounded 2/7. THere are 5 officers and 21 O/Rs listed.

• 2 months later...

William Henry Wilgose of the Yorks and Lancs, listed in the string below, was my grandfather, who I am researching. Family told me that he suffered a wound to his back [his Silver War Badge record confirms he had a GSW to his sacrum], was taken prisoner, went to Ireland and was back home in 1916. Apart from the reference below, I cannot find any information of him being a POW or how he got back home before the war ended. Can anybody help, please?

Here are his further details from his medal card [attached]: name William Wilgose; Corps York & Lancaster Depot Battalion [1st]; Regimental number 3/3689; rank of Private; date he enlisted as 29.8.14; date he was discharged 17.4.16; the cause of discharge as King’s Regulations KR 392 xvi (no longer fit for war service), for wounds; medals to the Victory Medal and the 1915 Star. The card also has a semi-legible entry that may read Northumberland Fusiliers 80406. It also refers to List of 290 and there is a random date of 1.5.15 on it.

I'm new to this pursuit so I would appreciate any help on this.post-100603-0-28598200-1374498652_thumb.

I'd suggest your man originally joined the Northumberland Fusiliers and went to France with them on 1 May 1915.

At some point he was transferred to the York and Lancaster Regiment (the 3/ prefix to his number would normally indicate a special reservist, so he may also have joined Northumberland Fusiliers as a special reservist). It was probably iwth them that he was wounded (unless he was transferred after his return to the UK). There were exchanges of wounded or sick prisoners of war (where they were unlikely to return to active service), usually returning through the neutral Netherlands.

The List against which his SWB was issued, List O/290 (not List of 290) may show more detail as to his transfers, or may simply list his unit at discharge, which would presumably have been the Depot of the Yorks and Lancs (I wonder if the 1st in brackets might indicate he had previously served with their 1st battalion). This list is now held by The National Archives as part of their catalogue reference WO 329/3134 http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C4438352 - they have also been digitised and can be found on Ancestry.

The other references on the card indicate that his 1915 Star was issued on the (Northumberland Fusiliers) medal roll O/1/11C3 p406 (now WO 329/2625 http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C4437843 - not digitised, this should give his initial battalion on entering France); and his Victory and British War Medals were issued from medal roll O/1/105B61 p14894 WO 329/733 http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C4435951. The fact that this is also a Northumberland Fusiliers medal roll may suggest that all his overseas service was with them, and the transfer to York and Lancs was indeed after his return to the UK, but you can't be sure without looking at all the rolls I suspect.

Thank you so much for your response! He had previously served with the 1st battalion, Yorks and Lancs in the Boer War. I will follow up your most helpful pointers.

• 3 weeks later...

Another of these POW lists has come to light, still trying to make the details out, so will add to this post as and when we can transcribe this list which is difficult to make out in places.

Some of the names listed are:-

TOWLER, Thomas, 2nd Border Regiment

TIBBY, Thomas, Middlesex Regiment

TAUBMANN, Robert, 2nd Royal Lancasters

TRAIN, Reginald, 12th Londons

VIISEY, John, Royal Lancasters

WYATT, Frederick, 1st Monmouthshire Regr

WISHART, James, 15th Canadian Regt

WOGAN, William, Royal Irish Rifles

WADAWORTH, William, KOYLI

WINATONE, Herbert Reginald, East Kent Regt.

Andy

Andy,

In the attached original image there is a reference to William Wilgose, who was my grandfather. The original is obviously badly decayed and you are struggling to make out every word. Let me help:

His middle name was Henry and I think I can see that on the original.

Might the reference to a flesh wound go on to say shot through the buttocks, or similar? I have traced his Silver War Badge and that shows that he was discharged with a gunshot wound to the sacrum. the wound left a large hole in his lower back that never properly healed and gave him pain for the rest of his life.

He was discharged before the war ended, so despite being in a german military hospital must have been released in an exchange of prisoners.

If you can give me any more details of what the original list says about him, in particular where it came from, I would be very grateful.

Kind regards,

Peter tooke

Hello all, I'm completey new to this and have probably been posting in the wrong sections before finding this one.

What you have here is an absolutely fantastic find but alas, no sight yet of my grandfather, William Marden, 1st (or 2nd) DCLI No.5429006.

We know he was wounded at some time and the Casualty Form in his papers refers to a note:

"W.O. - Relatives report P of War Wounded back - List 12186!

There are also references to "Wittenberg transferred to Mersburg - Lists 960 and 8216"

Can anyone help with any info on him?

• 2 weeks later...

I'd suggest your man originally joined the Northumberland Fusiliers and went to France with them on 1 May 1915.

At some point he was transferred to the York and Lancaster Regiment (the 3/ prefix to his number would normally indicate a special reservist, so he may also have joined Northumberland Fusiliers as a special reservist). It was probably iwth them that he was wounded (unless he was transferred after his return to the UK). There were exchanges of wounded or sick prisoners of war (where they were unlikely to return to active service), usually returning through the neutral Netherlands.

The List against which his SWB was issued, List O/290 (not List of 290) may show more detail as to his transfers, or may simply list his unit at discharge, which would presumably have been the Depot of the Yorks and Lancs (I wonder if the 1st in brackets might indicate he had previously served with their 1st battalion). This list is now held by The National Archives as part of their catalogue reference WO 329/3134 http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C4438352 - they have also been digitised and can be found on Ancestry.

The other references on the card indicate that his 1915 Star was issued on the (Northumberland Fusiliers) medal roll O/1/11C3 p406 (now WO 329/2625 http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C4437843 - not digitised, this should give his initial battalion on entering France); and his Victory and British War Medals were issued from medal roll O/1/105B61 p14894 WO 329/733 http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C4435951. The fact that this is also a Northumberland Fusiliers medal roll may suggest that all his overseas service was with them, and the transfer to York and Lancs was indeed after his return to the UK, but you can't be sure without looking at all the rolls I suspect.

Further to my post at p.17 on 22.7.13 at 2.12 p.m.. and David Underdown's very helpful reply of 23.7.13 at 2.34 p.m., I have discovered the following. Can anyone please explain the questions it raises?

1. The Northumberland Fusiliers (NF) medal roll for the '14-'15 star lists Pte William Wilgose as having been with the York & Lancaster regiment (Y & L) when it was earned. He disembarked on 1.5.1915 with the regimental no. 3689. He was discharged under KR xxv a ('services no longer required, cannot be discharged under any other heading') as Pte 89496, NF.

2. The NF medal roll for the Victory and British War medals gives his NF regimental number and the same KR discharge para as above but shows he previously served with the Y & L as Pte 3689.

3. However his SWB roll lists him with regimental number 3/3689 with the Y & L and the unit he was discharged from as depot (1st); that he enlisted on 29.8.1914 and was discharged under a different KR para - xvi ('no longer physically fit for war service') on 17.4.1916. He suffered a GSW to his sacrum.

3. He appears in a casualty list published in the Manchester Courier newspaper of 5.10.1915 as 'previously reported wounded and missing, now reported wounded and taken POW', as Pte 3689 of the Y & L.

4. He appears on the POW casualty list in this forum (p. 12) posted on 29.7.09 at 01.18 a.m.by Bardess as of 3 Y & L in the Kriegslaz (German army field hospital) at Iseghem (Izegem).

Please, can anyone help with:

(a) The anomalies as to which regiment he served with when?

(B) The anomalies between the two different paragraphs of KR that he was discharged under?

© If he was listed as wounded and captured by 5.10.1915 and was taken to the field hospital at Iseghem, what battle is he most likely to have been in when wounded?

Hi

I am new to the forum, trying to find out more about how and where my Grandad was injured. He was:

Pte Norman Walter Brodie M2/148083 served with the Army Service Corp

I know that he was sent to a Red Cross Hospital near Derby in 1918 and then went back to France but I don't know where he was injured or what happened to him

Any pointers in the right direction would be gratefully received.

Thank you !

Hi, I'm researching a relative who died 14 December 1915 from wounds received. I have no other information about how he sustained the wounds or when, but he was in No.13 General Hospital, Boulogne and died there, and was buried in the Eastern Cemetery Boulogne. A random remark earlier this year by an elderly relative, a niece of James Sharpe, 6351 of the Black Watch, told me that his sister had visited him in hospital before he died. The family came from a small village in Central Scotland and were not a wealthy family so it seems amazing to know that she was able to make what must have been a very long journey, in wartime, to see her dying brother. They certainly were not within an easy traveling distance from Calais or Boulogne as I have read earlier in this thread. I would really like to more of James' condition in hospital and wonder if anyone has ever come across records for No.13 General hospital, Boulogne December 1915. And of course the on-going inquiry into this journey made by his sister. Thank you, Calcat.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I am trying to trace information about the following three chaps:-

Angus Brodie

Royal Engineers, Signals Company, 50th Northumbrian Division

No: 1930

Killed June 1915 (Mennin Gate)

Norman Walter Brodie

ASC M2 148083, 263 Company

Injured (don't know where or when)

Spent time at Druffield Red Cross Hospital and then Randalstown , Northern Ireland

Henry Burton

Northumberland Fusiliers 47439

followed by

Scottish Rifles 45564

I understand that Henry may have been injured returning to the Front with the Srs

I'd be really grateful for any information that can help me. Angus and Norman were cousins and Henry was my Mum's Dad

With thanks

Carol

Carol, you would be better off starting a new thread including all the info you have as this thread is really only for posting Casualty Lists found in Service Records

Carol, you would be better off starting a new thread including all the info you have as this thread is really only for posting Casualty Lists found in Service Records

Thank you - sorry ! Still rather new to this !

best wishes

Carol