Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Casualty Lists

stiletto_33853

List HB.663

post-1871-1238731017.jpg

Thanks Andy - I didn't realise these could be found in soldiers' records.

cheers

Steve

Erm, I think I have bitten orf more than I can chew. I have started entering all info from previous posts onto a spreadsheet in the hope of having something searchable. So, I've completed the first 2 pages - 669 entries. An unbelievable amount of data.

I don't know what it is about lists but they have to be in strict order (is my OCD showing?)

Diane

Stiletto,

Your inbox is full, could you give me the details for -

List 13561

Australian Hospital, Boulogne.

Transferred to H.S. St. Andrew for England 3/3/1915

ALLAN, W., #3849, 1st Royal Scots

A big thankyou for taking the time to transcribe the lists.

Ta,

Swally

Swally,

Gunshot wound to face. I think there should be some room in my inbox now, if you let me have you e-mail address in a pm I will send it to you.

Andy

Swally,

All sent through to you, hope that it helps a little.

Andy

Casualty list People's Journal Sat 17th July 1915 All Black Watch; if mods think this better in Black Watch Bn thread no problem.

512 Cpl W ( Werner ) Aue , Sandymount Dublin, Etaples, gunshot wound left hand slight.

720 Pte J Sutherland, 8 Muiriston Ter, Edinburgh, Wimereux, gunshot wound head. 1111 Pte J Lamond, 146 High St Perth, St Omer, gunshot wound back, reported dangerously ill.

1133 Pte A McKinnon, Lennox Place, Callander, Leeds, wounded slight

1137 Pte E McAlpine, Burnside Cottage, Callander, Leicester, wounded slight

1896 Pte W Clogg, Auchnacarry, Aberfeldy, St Omer, gunshot wound back

1198 Pte C Shaw, Taywiew Cottages, Luncarty, St Omer, gunshot wounds neck,left hand left leg

2458 Pte W Tennant, Brydekirk, Annan, Dumfries, Reading, wounded

1176 Cpl W Simpson, 10 Perth st, Blairgowrie,Epsom, wounded severely

1707 Pte H Ferguson, Dunning rd, Bridge of Earn, Epsom, wounded slightly

2656 Pte W Arlow, 15 Chief st, Belfast, Willenden, gunshot wound right arm

1569 Pte A S Masson, 17 Albion Grove, Aberdeen , Belfast, wounded

1708 Pte R Auldjoe, The Gardens, Swarland Hall, Nothumberland, Etaples, gunshot wound neck

2122 Pte C Pithie, Cally Lodge, Bridge of Cally, Blairgowrie, ( looks like Eavre? ) gunshot wound face

1289 Pte J Garton,Gardrum, Balbeggie, Etaples, gunshot wound right side

696? Pte J McLeod, Well Place, Dunblane, St Omer, gunshot wound left thigh ( unsure of number )

2458 Pte W Tennant,Brydekirk, Annan, Dumfrieshire, Etaples, gunshot wound right foot

2695 Pte J McGladdery, 21 Madras st, Belfast, Bristol, wound slight

1126 Pte A McAlpine, Burnside Cottages, Callander, reported wounded in action ( bro of 1137? )

1236 Pte J B Nesbit, 54 North Strand, Dublin, gunshot wounds chest, arm, and head, dangerously ill.

Check army numbers, unsure of a couple, others seem accurate.

Mike

Andy

Do you have the full casualty list of the 12th RB men who attacked Eagle Trench (Langemarck) on the evening of 17 August 1917, and if so could I have a copy please. I am particularly interested in my grandfather 10879 Rifleman Horace Womble and Z/787 Rifleman Terence McCaffery, especially the company of 12th RB they were with.

Regards

John

John,

Find attached the casualty list mentioning Horace Womble, however I can find no casualty report for Terence McCaffey. As you can see there is no company mentioned which seems to be the way from very soon after the Somme. The casualty lists for this action on Eagle Trench are many pages long but I will have a look to see if I can find a report for Terence.

Andy

post-1871-1238885447.jpg

Andy

Thank you. The reason I ask is they were both transferred to the Labour Corps from 12th RB and have consecutive LC numbers, Horace 445746 and Terence 445747, and Terence McCaffery died in Cologne on 17 January 1919 while serving with 236th Divisional Employment Company.

Ivor Lee told me that Horace's number indicates he was transferred in late 1917 or early 1918, so I was pondering if Terence was also wounded at Eagle Trench and they were transferred to the LC together.

Regards

John

Hi all, Im amazed by the wealth of info being found and posted on casualtys. I know this a long shot but I was wondering if anyone had any casualty lists for Territorial Force EEF 1/10th London Regiment for Aug,Sept,Oct,Nov and December 1915. Also any lists for the above for 1917. Also looking for Information on a James Fredrick Loughton 1 Rifle Brigade wounded July 1915 France? I would be very Greatful on any Information Received.

Regards

James

Andy (and other contributors),

These lists are a fantastic resource, well done and keep up the good work. A question Andy – post 31, page 2 you have –

“Casualty List No. X.232 continued

Nominal Roll of British Prisoners of War at Gardlegen brought home by Lieut. A.J. Browne R.A.M.C. (S.R.) 30th June 1915”

Do you know the circumstances under which these men were “brought home”, was it a prisoner exchange? Also is there any more details on the list regarding the 3 Connaught Rangers –

WILSON, L., #9558, 2nd Connaught Rangers

PAXTON, J., #10495, 2nd Connaught Rangers

NEILAND, E., #10779, 2nd Connaught Rangers

Cheers

John

Hi John

10495 Bandsman James Paxton aged 23 was killed after falling into a deep moat at Dover whilst serving with the 3rd Battalion 8 May 1919

Regards Mark

John,

Sorry, I have no further knowledge of this group. This was found in a soldiers file on the rolls at Kew, with the resizing hope it comes out OK.

James,

I have not come across any as yet for the 1/10th Londons.

What we really need is someone with some time on his/her hands that can compile a database for all these as a quick reference as the larger the thread becomes the more difficult it becomes to go through them looking for an individuals or members of certain regiments, although I have found them of great use for the RB men among them, as I am sure Marc has for the Hampshires, Mick for The Buff's, Joe for the Kings and Jon for the West Kents as well as many others, this was the point in placing them here for the members doing regimental databases or such like as some of the information is great and it has helped a few with individuals including a couple of family where no records survive.

Andy

post-1871-1238972852.jpg

John,

Sorry, I have no further knowledge of this group. This was found in a soldiers file on the rolls at Kew, with the resizing hope it comes out OK.

Andy

Thats great Andy. Cheers.

John

Hi John

10495 Bandsman James Paxton aged 23 was killed after falling into a deep moat at Dover whilst serving with the 3rd Battalion 8 May 1919

Regards Mark

After surviving the War, wounding and being a PoW to end like that was tragic.

Cheers Mark.

John

List 20266 & List 20271

To Hospital 10/5/15 & 9/5/15

post-1871-1239161410.jpg

Hi,

I note that there are not a lot of RFA men, later years or other theaters. I am not sure how these are being found and the answer to my questions could be obvious so I apologise in advance if they are silly.

Andrew

Does anyone have casualty lists naming Pte Larson, NZ army, who was was wounded in Gallipoli c1915 & sent to England for treatment ,probably at Walton on Thames & convalescence at Codford. He married Marjorie Phyliss Butler( from Walton on Thames) in Warminster in 1918. Also, any medical records for him would be most welcome.

Hi,

I note that there are not a lot of RFA men, later years or other theaters. I am not sure how these are being found and the answer to my questions could be obvious so I apologise in advance if they are silly.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Andy mentioned (a few posts back now, in reponse to a question of mine) that these casualty lists come from within soldiers' service documents held at the National Archive. Just guessing, but I would think most of these come from individual soldier's records he and others have been researching (lots of Winchester Record Office Rifle Brigade and KRRC I see!), so if no or few casualty lists have been posted here from artillerymen's service documents this may explain the apparent under-representation? As I say, just a guess!

cheers

Steve

Andrew,

Steve is absolutely correct in that they are found in the individual soldiers records and the reason there are fewer artillery men is that I have found these primarily in Rifle Brigade soldiers records. although there are some artillery men shown in the lists.

Andy

List H.878

post-1871-1239490961.jpg

List B.13280

post-1871-1239491367.jpg

Lists 25656, 21852, 21856 & 21862

post-1871-1239511666.jpg

b85v6u.jpg

Hi Andy. WOW! Just noticed one of the men am researching, on your list.

Pte William Dewar s/6689 2nd Black watch died of wounds 18/12/1916 buried Basra War Cemy.

Would appreciate any more info you could give me on this man.

Where do you find these lists and which hospital would this be. ( sorry have just skipped through it to date )

Am going to check all posts on the thread for any others.

What does " no trace " refer to?

Cheers Mike

Hi Mike,

To be honest you are as much in the know as I am with regard to this. There is no more on him just this list which appeared in the service record of a 1st Rifle Brigade soldier I was looking at.

Glad that it has maybe helped you a little bit though.

Andy