Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Casualty Lists

stiletto_33853

6 hours ago, Margaretnolan said:

Thanks again  Brian. We have the MOD records for 1st and 2nd World War for all the above but no information on injury except he went to Woolwich to convalesce in December 1915. We are trying to find out what his wound was. I will let my friend Caroline take up the rest of the thread Brian as this man is her grandad. 

Margaret

Does her local library have access to The Times Digital Archive in order to access the Official Casualty Lists. Now that you have narrowed down the dates he should be easy to find. 

Brian.

I did look at The Casualty Lists on The Genealogist and British Newspaper Archive and did a Newspaper search on the BNA (Not including The Times).

I tried both WWI numbers with no luck. However, The Genealogist only has The Times 1/1/1915 - 26/4/1915 and then 1/7/1915 to 31/8/1915 so doesn't actully include the time frame he was in France. BNA only has the Casualty Lists for 1917 & 1918.

If access to The Times is found then you only need to search Sept - Dec 1915. It is possible that his Wound Stripe is for another injury that again is not showing up on the above resources.

TEW

Have you a library card? If so you may be able to search the Times Digital Archive from home on the electronic resources list.

• 2 weeks later...

List H A 14637. France - Sep 1917.

Three RE Special Brigade men 128018 John McFarlane, 129354 John Morgan and 47312 Harold Mogg. 

bm 365.jpg

• 1 month later...

I updated my schedule of Casualty Lists, since I had not found one recently, and printed it off. Guess what, then I found another:

HA 6010 - France - January 1917.

bm 368.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Diane

Are you still indexing all these names. I an only indexing the RE names on the lists that I post. 

Found one more today

HA 13710 August 1917 - France.

bm 376.JPG

I may get back to it in the future but I haven't kept up with this thread for 12/18 months or more. My spreadsheet is way behind unfortunately

10 hours ago, Bardess said:

I may get back to it in the future but I haven't kept up with this thread for 12/18 months or more. My spreadsheet is way behind unfortunately

This Sapper has a Smethwick connection.

From the WD of 465 FC (1/1 North Midland Field Co) RE 46 Div:

Bienvillers 05/10/1916 - "2/Lt W W Sapcote wounded, no 1429 2/cpl Cliff C and 235 Spr Twist T killed. The above men were preparing tubes of ammonal to be used for cutting enemy wire a grenade was fired into our trench this exploded the ammonal causing the casualties".

Accoring to SDGW Thomas Twist enlisted in Smethwick.

Brian

• 3 weeks later...

No Sappers on this one, but 11254 Dvr Roberts F was attached to 2 Special Co RE.

H A 13627 - France - September 1917

002.JPG

List H 6569 - Med - Feb 1916

001.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

H 5937 Med - February 1916.

002.JPG

• 3 weeks later...