Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Dead Databases

museumtom

Start with Geoffs search engine and get Soldiers Died in the Great War booklet covering the Munsters. Search this forum for postings on them also. There is loads of information around. If you post you needs and wants I am sure someone on this forum has the war diaries and can give you readouts for specific dates.

Enjoy the research, its all in the chase of that elusive clue.

Regards.

Tom.

SLOAN, WILLIAM CUTHBERT Killed in Action. Enlisted in Preston In Lancs while living in Lancs.

SYDNEY, ALFRED Killed in Action. Born in Workington in Cumberland, enlisted in Woking while living in Seaton in Cumberland.

Thse men are not in De Ruvigneys Roll of Honour.

Regards.

Tom.

Many thanks Tom. Can you tell me how you know William was living in Lancashire at the time of his enlistment and what that entry says?

Cheers

Peter

I know he ws living in Lancashire when he enlisted because that is What Soldiers Died in the great War says. It does not give where he was born. It does not give any other additional information. Sorry.

Tom.

I know he ws living in Lancashire when he enlisted because that is What Soldiers Died in the great War says. It does not give where he was born. It does not give any other additional information. Sorry.

Tom.

Thanks again

Regards

peter

Tom.

Thanks again

Regards

Peter

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest fressias2000

Do you by any chance know of a clearing station that would have been used for the Fist Battle of Arras 28 March 1918? My great grandfather was with the 13th kings liverpool regiment.

Sarah

I would need a CCs name or its location.

Regards.

Tom.

tom,

by any change do you have info of clearing stations near potijze.

thank you in advance

kind regards

sabine

There was no CCS at Potijze but if you list the places near there I will look them up for you.

Rergards.

Tom.

tom,

I know there was an ads at potijze and thougt that in the near area like zonnebeke road menin road or area st jan there could of been a clearing station.

thanks for looking

do you have anything on 18 middlesex regiment during the first day's of january 1918 I'm after Frisby arthur henry pw/732 and Warren edmund borlis 238148, or you know someone who has the war diaries

thnaks for helping

kind regards

sabine

Menin Road, Zonnebeke, Potijze and St Jan are not mentioned in 'Location of Hospitals and Casualty Clearing Stations. British Expeditionary Force, 1914-1919.

According to SDGW there were 7 casualties from the 18th Bn Middlesex Regiment between Jan 1 and Jan 10th 1918 and they all died on the 3rd of Jan. If you tell me what you have regarding the two casualties you need I will see if I have more. The War diaries may be available in Kew and can be downloaded for a nominal fee. You could also search in here

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...hp?showforum=14

Tom.

Tom,

I am researching potijze chateau ground cem, and have contact with a relative of Frisby. since 7 men died the same day maybe something is mentioned in the war diaries of where and how they got killed. as a private worker he must have been repairing trenches in the area I guess.

He is buried in plot I and that was a plot used during the war; plot II came in after armistice day.

This is what I have on Frisby

Frisby Arthur Henry private pw/732 born westbere canterbury kent 1887

died 03/01/1918 joint the army in herne bay son of Kate emma Frisby who died when he was 2 years old

Warren edmund borlis private 238148 died 03/01/1918 son of William and mary ann warren of 4 Headwell terrace, st james well str exeter.

I have some postcards of potijze chateau ( ads during a periode in the war) and on one malte send there is a doctor standing between the wounded.

thanks in advance

kind regards

sabine

Warren edmund borlis, Born in Plymouth, enlisted in Exeter, Killed in Action private

Frisby Arthur Henry Born in Westbere in Kent, enlisted in Canterbury while living in Herne Bay, Kent. Killed in action. private 03/01/1918 joint the army in herne bay son of Kate emma Frisby who died when he was 2 years old.

Regards.

Tom.

Tom,

Thank you

kind regards

sabine

• 1 month later...

Tom

Would you mind looking up William J Warnes # 96681 RFA on the 'Soldiers who Died in the Great War' CD, DOD 19/03/1916 (92 years ago today, just realised!).

Also looking for the location of the 4th Casualty Clearing Station located at Beauval at the time.

Cheers

--

Glenn

Hi Tom

This is only the second time I have attempted to ask for info on this forum so forgive me if things aren't quite right.

I am looking for information on my great uncle and anything you might know or suggest would be appreciated.

Name: Albert George WRIGHT

Initials: A G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry

Unit Text: 1st/1st Bucks Bn.

Date of Death: 16/04/1917

Service No: 265695

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 10 A and 10 D

Memorial: Thiepval Memorial

Enlisted: Aylesbury, Bucks

Residence: Slough, Bucks

Theatre of war: France and Flanders

I would also be interested if you had anything on his brother Herbert Hatipha Wright who my grandmother said was also killed during WW1. To date I haven't stumbled across anything to point me in the right direction.

Thanks Karan

265695 enlisted in Aylebury while living in Slough and was killed in action. Nothing on Herbert sorry.

96681, RHA and RFA. Born in Aldershot, enlisted in Cresswell in Staffs and died of wounds on 19-3-1916. 4th CCS was at Beuval from 15-6-15 to 8-10-16 but does not give the exact location of it.

Regards.

Tom.

Tom

Could you tell me if there was a cc near Moeuvres in November 1917 during the Battle of Cambrai??

Evelyn

Tom

Thanks for that, he was born in Aldershot as his father was in the Artillery at the time and latter was in Ireland (1870's).

Cresswell seems a small place to enlist.

Cheers

Glenn

Ollydot.

I can not find any CCS in Moeuvres at any time. I am not familiar with any placenames around Moeuvres. If you list them I will look for you.

Regards.

Tom.

Spider, Soldiers died in the Great War says that 13 men who enlisted in Cresswell died in ww1.

Regards.

Tom.

Tom

Thanks for that, just have to work out for sure which town - Creswell Derbyshire, Cresswell Staffordshire or Creswell Stafford and all in the same region.

Glenn

Its says Cresswell Staffs and Aldershot, Hants.

regards.

Tom.

Tom

Definitely a match, Staffs is an abbreviation for? (just to confirm)

Glenn

Thats all it says, Cresswell, Staffs. I am rubbish at guessing, I just post what I find.

Regards.

Tom