7th Bn North Staffordshire Regiment

Died of Wounds 23/07/1915 Age:24

HARRIS JOSEPH CECIL Captain

3rd (North Midland) Field Amb Royal Army Medical Corps

Attached to "A" Casualty Clearing Station

Killed in Action 16/08/1917

Regards Doug.

Hi Tom,

I don't know the query options of the database but i was wondering if you could search on a unit for example and pull out name, date of death and cemetery as a list. If so would you be so kind as to search on "C" Bty. 34th Army Bde. and 34th Bde. Just to see what happens please.

Kind regards

Jim

Doug.

Sorry these men are not in De-Ruvigneys.

Tom.

Sorry Jim. I just have a lot of CDs and books. They do not allow for that type of search.

Tom

Tom

Thanks for looking.

Regards Doug.

Tom

Any chance of look up please in De-Ruvigneys for

PINNEGAR, JOHN ARTHUR Military Cross Captain

16th Bn Rifle Brigade

Killed in Action 23/03/1918 Age:28

SANKEY SYDNEY JOHN Captain

6th Bn South Staffordshire Regiment

Killed 25/09/1915 Age:25

Regards Doug.

There is one Sankey and one Pinnegar in De Ruvigneys but not your men. Sorry.

Tom

Thanks Tom.

I'm having no luck.

Regards Doug.

If possible, could you look up the following French soldiers?

(Unknown) Vallon, Major of Infantry, killed at Verdun early in war

Julien Vallon, died of wounds just before Christmas 1917

(Unknown) Vallon, killed

The Major was the father. Julien and the other were the two sons. I am afraid my information is a little vague, but a list of any Vallons killed would be useful to me. There is a small possibility the name might have a variable spelling, such as Vaillon, Valin, Valon, or Valons.

A huge thank you for offering to do this! I apologize if I haven't provided enough detail. I unfortunately do not know any more.

Could you please look for the death of William Craig. He served in the Manchester Regiment #8107 & the Lancashire Fusiliers #22647. According to CWGC, he died 5 Nov 1918.

Thanks for all you do.

SDGW says he was born in Pendlebury in Lancs and enlisted in Manchester, 'died' 5/11/18. It also says he was a Lance Corporal

• 4 weeks later...
SDGW says he was born in Pendlebury in Lancs and enlisted in Manchester, 'died' 5/11/18. It also says he was a Lance Corporal

Hi Tom,

Do you have any information on the CCS's where the 5th Londons (169 Bde, 56 Divn) would have sent their men between 1915 and 1918 on the Western Front ?

Regards Peter

I have the locations of the CCS's for the war but you would have to be specific. Which locations or which CCs's.

Tom.

HI Tom,

I wonder if you would be kind enough to do a lookup on the Soldier Died in the Great War CD for me.

I'm looking for Pte William Robert Jones GS/22645 Royal Fusiliers.

The information I have seems to indicate that he died sometime after 30/12/1917 as the family have a postcard sent from him in France postmarked that date - although this could of course be a red herring.

I have been unable to find him so far on the CWGC website, although with such a relatively common name, if the MIC info is not a 100% correct or the CWGC info is wrong, I might need to wade through a lot of Jones' to find him.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Angela

Hi Tom, I'm looking for Private William Martin 205884 4th Bn. Bedfords. My main question is; was there a Casualty Clearing Station at Martinsart, possibaly in the area of Martinsart British Cemetery? I've got a feeling that he was wounded, but died in a CCS. It's just a hunch!

Many thanks, Colin

Pte William Robert Jones GS/22645 Royal Fusiliers. No information on this person, There is another guy, a Sgt of this name with the royal Fusiliers but with an different number that died after 1917 from Hounslow. Can you give me his address or where he was born? I also searche for his number in SDGW without success. Sorry

Private William Martin 205884 4th Bn. Bedfords.

I have no information of a CCs in Martinsart, and as I am not familiar with the area I would not know what locations are around it. Can you be more specific?

Tom,

Would you do a search for John Bardgett of the 11th Battalion, Border Regiment please if you are still doing look-ups. Anything you have would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Chris

Hi Tom,

Sorry only just got back to this. I'm convinced now that either William Robert Jones didn't die in the war, or the family have been sent the wrong medal!

Are you able to search SDGW without a regiment? If so I have an address for him in 1913 - 26 Incline Row, Ton-Pentre, although this is on his marriage certificate so may not have been where he was living when he enlisted.

I think he was born in Treherbert, but again when looking for addresses there are a number of villages that all run into one another in that valley, so anything for Treherbert, Gelli, Pentre, Ton-Pentre, Pandy, or Porth might well be him. I guess he would have enlisted in any of these places, or Pontypridd.

Thanks for your time on this one.

Angela

John Bardgett, KIA first day of the somme, Born in Carlisle and lived there when he enlisted in Appleby, Westmorland.

BARDGETT

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Border Regiment

Unit Text: 11th Bn.

Date of Death: 01/07/1916

Service No: 15309

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. C. 5.

Cemetery: LONSDALE CEMETERY, AUTHUILE

Greg, I have no further information for you. I have searched using the data you provided. Does his MIC agree with his name rank number and unit?

Tom

I exaggerate - there's only three:

Private William BISHOP Worcestershire Regiment

Private Thomas A MOBBERLY Gloucestershire Regiment

2/AM Walter J POWELL Royal Flying Corps

Nothing on SDGW or CWGC, or in the local press: except Bishop for whom there seem to be two contenders, neither with any connection to the town that I can see.

Nothing comes up on the 1901 census that helps as far as I can see. I think they might be men who left the forces and died of wounds or flu or something....

Apart from these and Stanley-Baker, I have something on all of the 71 others!!

Any advice / help gratefully received... :D

Simon

Hi Simon

Had a quick look for Thomas Mobberly on 1901 census. I found two Thomas Mobberley's (enumerator may have mis-spelt the name). Thomas age 4 born Stamber Mill, Worcestershire living in Lye. Also Thomas Mobberley age 15 born in Lye living in Lye. Is this any help?

Clare

Hi Tom,

Could you do a look up for me in Irelands Memorial Records of

Patrick Ward, 7180, Cheshire Regiment 2nd Btn.

I have this record from it:

Ward, Patrick Reg. No. 7180 Rank Staff Serjeant Cheshire Regiment 2nd. Batt. Died East Africa December 28 1917.

Born Jordanstown Enfield Meath.

Last year the Meath Chronicle printed a list of Co. Meath Soldiers who died in the Great War, they had this record for Patrick Ward:

Ward, Patrick Rank Warrant Officer Sub Conductor of supply and transport promoted to Officers commissioned on deathbed. Indian Army died from Blackwater fever Sindi German East Africa 23 December 1917 Decoration M.C.

Mentioned in despatches. Born Meath

I was wondering if this record was also from IMR, they look like the same man?

Many thanks

Isadore

IMR is as you have found. The extra info in not mentioned. SDGW says he enlisted in Birkenhead in Cheshire while he lwas living in Clare Kings Co(sic) Maybe they mean Clara. It also says he 'died' as opposed to KIA or DOW. HIS MC, if there was one is not mentioned in SDGW.

CWGC says;

WARD, PATRICK

Initials: P

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Cheshire Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 28/12/1917

Service No: 7180

Awards: MSM

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 6. A. 10.

Cemetery: DAR ES SALAAM WAR CEMETERY