Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Dead Databases

museumtom

It just has Maurice, sorry.

Regards.

Tom

Thanks so much for the lookups as they are appreciated!

As Maurice was KIA in 1917, is that why his will was listed?

Does the book mainly focus on the soldiers who died in WW1?

Thanks again for your kind help!

Mike

Its a CD rom and as far as I know it lists wills that survived in the Irish National Archives in Dublin. They are not necessarily men who died, there are survivors in there also.

Regards.

Tom

Thanks for the information, Tom!

So Maurice's will would be in the National Archives?

Also, I was wondering if you would kindly do a lookup of

your resources for Pte. Hugh HIGNEY please?

He served in the Royal Irish Fusiliers and the Liverpool Regiment.

He survived WW1.

Thanks for any help and assistance!

Mike

Yes Maurice's will is in the National Archives of Ireland under War Office Number E/453572/1 record number 283/496815/17/18.

http://www.nationalarchives.ie/

I have no informaton on men who survived...yet.

Regards.

Tom.

• 7 months later...
Guest DIscoveryNB

Hi,

I could really use your help finding my family. One soldier in particular.

PTE. 802683 John Jellyman.

BMW says he was with the 75th Canadian Infantry.

Born 06/07/1895 and lived Ilderton Ontario.

recruited Jan. 6, 1916

Family rumour is that he is buried in France.

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Thank you

• 2 months later...

Hi there, just noticed this thread. A bit late in the day but if you pick this up, do you have anything on Sergeant 3046 Andrew Joseph Russell, 4th Battalion (City of London) Regiment (Royal Fusiliers) Dow 14/09/16.

Many thanks.

Tom

I am sure you already have this, it would help if you say what you have;

RUSSELL, ANDREW JOSEPH

Initials: A J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers)

Unit Text: 4th Bn.

Date of Death: 14/09/1916

Service No: 3046

Additional information: Son of the late Patrick Russell, of Kells, Co. Meath, and Mary Doyle, his wife. Born at Kells. B.A.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: X. D. 9A.

Cemetery: ETAPLES MILITARY CEMETERY

Died of wounds, enlisted in Shaftsbury Street, N, while living in Highgate. He is not in Irekands memorial records. He should be in 'The Meath War Dead' which is due to be published shortly. I cannot find him in the census. Since the first posting of this topic access to ancestry has been made available but I dont have access to it.

Cheers.

Tom.

Thanks Tom, apologies for the lack of info, but that's all I have and what's on the CWGC. I really would like to trace more background on this man, he is buried next to my great grandfather, from the same Bn. and died on the same day. I have access to ancestry but there is very little showing up there other than the obvious.

I'm no geneaolgy or ww1 expert by any means so would welcome any tips.

Do you know when the Meath War Dead is published and how to access it?

Thanks for your interest.

Tom

Tom.

Who is your great grandfather?

'Do you know when the Meath War Dead is published and how to access it? ' I have no further informaton on the book. Sorry.

Tom.

My great grandfather is Pte 4536 Thomas Godfrey 1/4 Bn. (City of London) Regiment (R Fus) wounded near Leuze Wod and DOW 14/09/16, buried Etaples.

I am sure you have SDGW and CWGC for him, I did have a look in the Roll of Honour for London and he is not listed there.

Cheers.

Tom.

Ok, thanks for your help Tom. By the way I just noticed that the 'Meath War Dead' book was published in June, it's listed on Amazon but currently unavailable.

I'l have to get a copy myself.

Cheers.

Tom.

• 11 years later...
On 01/05/2004 at 08:29, museumtom said:

I get the impression that this is a list of soldiers from a memorial in Great Rissington.

Albert Souls, No 17208,Born in and lived in Great Rissington, Enlisted in Bourton-on-water,

Formerly 17173 Worcs regt.

Jon Vellender, 8th Service Bn, 2367 Born in and lived in Cold Aston, Glos, enlisted in Slow-on-the-wold. DOW,

Fred Souls, Born in and lived in Great Rissington, enlisted in Slow-on-the-wold. No 21686.

Walter Davies Souls, Born in and lived in Great Rissington, enlisted in Bourton-on-water(sic),No 17209, Formerly No 17177 Worcs regt,

Oliver John Porter, Born in and lived in Great Rissington, enlisted in Bourton-on-the-water, No 13687

Garnet Morris, Born in and lived in Great Rissington,Enlisted in Bourton-on-water, No 242685, Formerly No 17757 Worcs regt,

Thomas Spencer, Born in and lived in Great Rissington,enlisted in Bristol,died, No 202023, 2/4th City of Bristol Battalion, territorial, It says he was KIA on the 3rd of Dec.

Wilfred Henry Hensley Capt,.nothing new to add from SDGW however.hurrah!! we got a hit in De Ruvigneys roll of honour.......finally. Capt Hensley Wilfred Henry, 6th Service Bn, Prince Alberts Somerset Light Infantry, only son of the Rev Henry G Henslet of

Great Rissington Rectory Co Gloucester, rector by his wife Alice Andree. Born Warwick,14 july 1894; educ Warwick SAchool;Bath College#Dean Close School and the Emmanuel College Cambridge, joined the Public Schools battalion. The Royal Fusiliers in sept 1914;served with the Expeditionary Force in France and Flanders from Nov 1915;returned to England in March 1916 and after a period of training at Oxford was gazetted 2nd Lieut july 1916 6th batt The Somerset Light Infantry;promoted Lieut July 1916 and capt Dec 1917;was again wounded near arras 9th April 1917 and invalided home;went back to France in dec and was killed in action north of Moy near St Quentin March 1918. This is the only one of your list I searched De Ruvigneys for.

Albert Souls, No 17208,Born in and lived in Great Rissington, Enlisted in Bourton-on-water,

Formerly 17173 Worcs regt.

Jon Vellender, 8th Service Bn, 2367 Born in and lived in Cold Aston, Glos, enlisted in Slow-on-the-wold. DOW,

Fred Souls, Born in and lived in Great Rissington, enlisted in Slow-on-the-wold. No 21686.

Walter Davies Souls, Born in and lived in Great Rissington, enlisted in Bourton-on-water(sic),No 17209, Formerly No 17177 Worcs regt,

Oliver John Porter, Born in and lived in Great Rissington, enlisted in Bourton-on-the-water, No 13687

Garnet Morris, Born in and lived in Great Rissington,Enlisted in Bourton-on-water, No 242685, Formerly No 17757 Worcs regt,

Thomas Spencer, Born in and lived in Great Rissington,enlisted in Bristol,died, No 202023, 2/4th City of Bristol Battalion, territorial, It says he was KIA on the 3rd of Dec.

Wilfred Henry Hensley Capt,.nothing new to add.

Arthur Souls, Born in and lived in Great Rissington,enlisted in Stow-on-the-wold. No 21683, Won a Military Medals so he did begorrah!!

Alfred Souls, Born in Sherbourne in Glos, lived in Great Rissington,enlisted in Stow-on-the-wold. N0 21525,

Fred Masters.no data.

Thomas Bolter.no data

Look up their burial data on www.cwgc.org/

Tom

Arthur Souls, Born in and lived in Great Rissington,enlisted in Stow-on-the-wold. No 21683, Won a Military Medals so he did begorrah!!

Alfred Souls, Born in Sherbourne in Glos, lived in Great Rissington,enlisted in Stow-on-the-wold. N0 21525,

Fred Masters.no data.

Thomas Bolter.no data

Look up their burial data on www.cwgc.org/

Tom Burnell

... and 18 years later I add Capt Wilfred Henry Hensley to our South Warwickshire list of the fallen database.
https://www.swfhs.org.uk/index.php/war-memorial-transcriptions/new-master-index-of-the-fallen-of-ww1?start=20
He had window at St. Paul's Church in Warwick created in his honour by his father who was the Vicar.

st pauls window.jpg

Edited by ianshuter

• 7 months later...
On 12/06/2005 at 18:31, museumtom said:

I looked through all the volumes of De Ruvigneys (there goes my weekend) and found only one hit and that was ford Frederick John Drummond. However the amount of guys on this memorial that had relations who also died in ww1 is amazing. This was obvious by the uniques type of names on it and the amount of guys from the Suffolk and Sussex area that also died but are not on the memorial. Anyway I digress here is the only hit for you;

Drummond Frederick John, Trooper, east Africa Mounted Rifles (Bowkers Horse) eldest of major john William Ainslie Drummond of 27 Stanhope gardens London S.W, and Hollycombe, Englefield Green, late Scots Guars, a partner in Coutts’bank (E. of Perth coll, by his wife Florence Charlotte, dau of John George Blencoe of Bineham, Sussex; b Eastbourne co Sussex 15 June 1891; educ, Evelyn,s and Eton; settled in Est Africa; joined the East African Rifles on formation in aug 1914, after the outbreak of war, and was killed in action in the Longido Hills Nov 3 1914.

Tom.

For those interested in Frederick John Drummond's story/family he is part of my Blencowe's that Served study webpages here https://ww1.blencowe.one-name.net/wp-admin/post.php?post=48&action=edit&classic-editor