Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Dead Databases

museumtom

Hi

I'm a new member and am looking for info on my grandfather Edward Grimes. I know that his brother Thomas was born in Dundee and fought with the Royal Scots 2nd Btn. Thomas was killed in action on 10 April 1917 and he is buried in Tilloy British Cemetery in France. I can't, however, find any info on my grandfather Edward who survived the war. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paula

Hi Guys

I collect Databases on War Dead mainly ww1, Available; De Ruvignys Roll of Honour, Irelands memorial records. Soldiers of the Great War ( USA) Soldiers died in the Great War on CD, Soldiers died in WW2 on CD, Irish Guards Unit history 1st and 2nd batt, Shot at dawn, Locations of Casualty Clearing Stations ww1,.

Please post your queries here.

Tom Burnell, Resrearch Curator, Thurles Famine and War Museum, Tipperary, Ireland

For my records would it be possible to get a copy somewhere of the entry for Gnr William J Warnes # 96681 RFA ?????

Spider;

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...?casualty=35118

and

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/clond...rent=Warnes.jpg

Hello Paula and welcme to the forum. I only have information on men who died in ww1, there are usually more information available for them. First you must download his Medal Index Card which will give you his unit, number, full name, which medals he was entitled to, his date of entry to the Theatre of War and if he was entitled to the Silver War badges for discharge with woulds or sickness. Search here;

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...amp;queryType=1

You then need a researcher to dig out his records if they exist in the Public Record Office in Kew. You can do this yourself if you like. Dont forget there are little treasures of information to be gleaned from Birth Certs, Marriage certs, death certs and census records.

Enjoy the chase, you will find it frustrating and rewarding and will take up a lot of your time. The more effort you put in the more you will appreciate the end result.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Hi

Thanks for the info I apprecaite your time I'll try and get more info on my Grandfather before I try again with the national archives there are so many edward Grimes' it's hard to know which entry refers to him. However, can you help with more info for my Great Uncle? He was Thomas P Grimes, he was a private in the Royal Scots 2nd bn. His service no. was 30789 and he was killed in action on 10 April 1917. He is buried at Tilloy British Cemetery. From reading other sites I have found out that at this time the First Battle of the Scarpe was being fought but I'm not sure if this is where he was killed. Any ideas on how I could find any more info.

Thanks

Paula

Spider;

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...?casualty=35118

and

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/clond...rent=Warnes.jpg

Hello Paula and welcme to the forum. I only have information on men who died in ww1, there are usually more information available for them. First you must download his Medal Index Card which will give you his unit, number, full name, which medals he was entitled to, his date of entry to the Theatre of War and if he was entitled to the Silver War badges for discharge with woulds or sickness. Search here;

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...amp;queryType=1

You then need a researcher to dig out his records if they exist in the Public Record Office in Kew. You can do this yourself if you like. Dont forget there are little treasures of information to be gleaned from Birth Certs, Marriage certs, death certs and census records.

Enjoy the chase, you will find it frustrating and rewarding and will take up a lot of your time. The more effort you put in the more you will appreciate the end result.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Tom

Thanks for that.

Glenn

Tom-

I am interested in the Royal Irish Constabulary who enlisted for service during the War. My research reveals that the majority of them joined the Irish Guards. Do your databases reveal anything in the way of numbers enlisted, where they served, if they were killed in action, caputured, etc?

Thanks!!

Nowhere in the databases does it give such information.

Sorry.

Regards.

Tom.

I am aware that the bodies of 47 officers and men from 7th Scottish Rifles were identified having been recovered some weeks/months after the battle of Gully Ravine in Gallipoli and were buried at Geoghegans Bluff Cemetery. They were moved to Twelve Tree Copse Cemetery after the war and in 1923 the CWGC listed their names as known to be buried there and gave them special memorials. Whilst I fully accept that the remains would not have been in a good state, and it would be impossible to identify individuals if the original grave markers had been removed without an item of identification still being there, the fact remains that at some stage a list of those original recoveries must exist somewhere from which the CWGC based their list. Is there any way of finding out? Around 150 officers and men from 7th battalion died on 28th June 1915, 47 have special memorials, a small number have marked graves (so must have had ID after the war) and the remainder are probably there but do not fit either category so are on the Helles Memorial. I would be very interested to hear whether records still exist from the 1918 recovery parties of those individuals who were found. Any ideas?

If you contact Terry Denham on this forum he may be able to answer that question/.

regards.

Tom.

• 2 months later...

Trinity Scholar,

The Irish Times published some interesting pieces on the Royal Irish Constabulary during the war which gives lists of men who enlisted. I'm sure Trinity must have a subscription to the Irish Times archive where you could do a search. Alternatively, PM me your email and I will send you what I have.

post-6633-1211995492.png

post-6633-1211995560.png

Mark

Some of the Royal Irish constabulary....

post-6633-1211995913.png

Hi Tom

Could you possibly have a look to see if any of the three men in my signature are mentioned in De Ruvignys?

Cheers,

Carole.

Hi Tom,

This is a long shot but could you please check your US information for this man.

All I have on him is his name which is on the local WW1 Memorial here in Cork City.

Sgt C O'Callaghan U.S. Army and nothing else, any help please.

Thanks as allways.

Regards,

Sean.

Carole, sorry none of them are in De Ruvigneys Roll of Holour.

Sean all I have for him is that he was killed in action and buried in France;

Cornelius O'Callaghan

Sergeant, U.S. Army

326th Infantry Regiment, 82nd Division

Entered the Service from: Massachusetts

Died: October 11, 1918

Buried at: Plot C Row 12 Grave 6

Meuse-Argonne American Cemetery

Romagne, France

Information is from the American Battle Monuments Commission and the publication Soldiers of the Great War.

Regards.

Tom.

Hi Tom

Thanks for checking

Cheers,

Carole.

Hello Tom and many thanks, great information,

Kind regards,

Sean

Guest lizziew
I collect Databases on War Dead mainly ww1, Available; ......................... Soldiers died in the Great War on CD,

Tom

What actual information is available on the CD Soldiers died in the Great War? I already know that my g.uncle George Reuben Benson died on 24 November 1917, according to the CWGC site he died of wounds France and Flanders, although his name is on the Cambrai Memorial, Louverval, France. Having visited the Memorial earlier this year, I don't know why his death is recorded as France and Flanders.

Liz

It does not say he died of wounds on the CWGC it says he died of wounds in Soldiers died in the Great War. So you must have the SDGW information already. 'I don't know why his death is recorded as France and Flanders.' and neither do I.

Regards.

Tom.

Guest lizziew

Thank you Tom. I got the information that he died of his wounds from Findmypast.com. I'm surprised that if he died of wounds, he doesn't have a grave, just a name on a memorial stone. I thought maybe the information on your CD would show which battle he died in etc.

Liz

ps. Sorry for the delay in replying, I've not posted on this site before and couldn't find my posting!!

Hello Lizzie.The usual path in your case is to find his unit which is in the CWGC and SDGW and the day he died. Then you ask the guys on this forum if they can give you a reading for that unit on that day. If that does not work you can download the war diaries for his unit for that day online from KEW. This will tell you what they were doing at that time

Kind regards.

Tom.

Tom

Can you check

James Hay

2nd Bn Royal Scots Fusiliers

Died 23/10/1914 near Ypres

James' medal card says "died"...... nothing else.

James' "death certificate" is part of a long list of RSF deceased during October 1914. The certificate says he is "Dead, (Presumed)".

TIA

David

HAY, JAMES

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Scots Fusiliers

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 23/10/1914

Service No: 10300

Additional information: Son of Mrs. Jane L. Hay, of 85, Castle St., Townhead, Glasgow.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 19 and 33.

Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL .

SDGW says he was born in GLasgow and enlisted there also. It also says he 'died' This usually means died of accident illness or suicide.

Regards.

Tom.

Many thanks for your reply Tom.

Any idea if a proper British Death Certificate would have been issued? Or is that a daft question considering the awful mayhem that the Battalion would be under; thus leaving doubts over cause of death.

The RSF War Diary lists several occasions where up to 14 soldiers were being returned at any time to a safe haven due to illness in the field.

There is one pal on this forum offering death certificate readouts for free. I cannot remember his name but a search will soon turn him up. Found it;

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...c=80299&hl=

Often when a body does not have a grave it may have originally bbeen uried but the marker/s where opbliterated and its location lost.

Regards.

Tom

Thanks again Tom.

Another forumer has been checking out a relative who was in the same battalion and died on the same day, presumably close-by.

A medal card can be seen at this link.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...SCOTS+FUSILIERS

This one also says "died".