Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Dead Databases

museumtom

Hi Guys

I collect Databases on War Dead mainly ww1, Available; De Ruvignys Roll of Honour, Irelands memorial records. Soldiers of the Great War ( USA) Soldiers died in the Great War on CD, Soldiers died in WW2 on CD, Irish Guards Unit history 1st and 2nd batt, Shot at dawn, Locations of Casualty Clearing Stations ww1,.

Please post your queries here.

Tom Burnell, Resrearch Curator, Thurles Famine and War Museum, Tipperary, Ireland

Hello,

Would you be able to provide any information on locations of NZ Casualty Clearing Stations on the Western Front and at the Gallipoli/Dardanelles/Egypt campaigns?

Thanks

Glenn

New Zealand

It seems to cover only France and Belgium.

Sorry

I meant to say that it covers only British Casualty Clearing Stations. In the notes sections I see field ambulances being sent to Salonika and field stations taken over by the Ozzies,The way this book is to be read it seems is to get the number of the Field Hospital and then look it up...I would have to read the whole thing and do a synopsis which would really take too long, Is there a particular Field station you want to find?

Tom

I see where you are coming from now. The Make up is similar, for example take the first inst ST OMER the way it is listed is thus, First portion ST OMER, No 9CCS Sept 1914 to 14-11-1915,No10 Stationary, October 1914 to 31-5-18,No 1CCS Nov 1914 to 31-12-1914 No7 general 8-6-15 to May 1819 In the notes section of this is says Known as Malassises HPL. No 58 general from 8-6-17 to 31-3-18 Known as Scottish General, No 59 General from 16-7-17 to 31-3-18 Known as Northern General.

This will give you an idea of the makeup of the listings.

regards.

Tom

I wonder if De Ruvigny has anything of Lt J Moore, 7th South Staffs kia Gallipoli, 7th Aug 1915?

Thanks

Simon

I wonder if De Ruvigny has anything of Lt J Moore, 7th South Staffs kia Gallipoli, 7th Aug 1915?

Lieutenant John Aubrey Moore

Scholar at Felsted School from May 1908 to July 1912

Lieut. 7th South Staffs Regt.

Killed in action at Gallipoli in Aug 1915

His family has founded in his memory a prize to be given for patriotic verse.

Source: Alumni Felstedensis, April 1890 to September 1950.

Regards. Dick Flory

Lieutenant John Aubrey Moore is not mentioned in De Ruvigny....sorry

Officers died in the Great war however say that he died between the 7th and the 11th of Aug 1915, His rank put down as Lt (TPP).

Tom

Wow! Great! Thanks very much Dick and Tom.

Cheers

Simon

Just on the off chance....

anything on:

Major Richard STANLEY- BAKER

Burma MT died India 13/11/18 Indian Army Reserve of Officers attached to Supply and Transport Corps p.273

Aged 36

The husband of Irene Stanley-Baker of Four Winds, Westward Ho!, Devon

Rawalpindi War Cemetery, Pakistan

2.G.3

Thanks!

Simon

He is not in Re Ruvignys Roll of Honour or Soldiers died in the great war.....sorry.

Tom

Oh well! Thanks for looking. He's one of the last four 'mystery men' on the Bewdley Memorial out of 75, so it's not a bad hit rate!!

Simon

Who were the other three mystery men?

Tom.

I exaggerate - there's only three:

Private William BISHOP Worcestershire Regiment

Private Thomas A MOBBERLY Gloucestershire Regiment

2/AM Walter J POWELL Royal Flying Corps

Nothing on SDGW or CWGC, or in the local press: except Bishop for whom there seem to be two contenders, neither with any connection to the town that I can see.

Nothing comes up on the 1901 census that helps as far as I can see. I think they might be men who left the forces and died of wounds or flu or something....

Apart from these and Stanley-Baker, I have something on all of the 71 others!!

Any advice / help gratefully received... :D

Simon

I ran a search for Walter Powell in the RFC and RAF logs with no success, I tried the Canadian and Australian ww1 database to see if he had some connection there but it was all in vain, Private William BISHOP , and Private Thomas A MOBBERLY with a Bewdley connection were equally as elusive, I re-ran SDGW and also looked in Re Ruvigneys. It could be as you suggest that they died some time after the end of hostilities and are not listed in war dead databases.

As for suggestions…as I have no further suggestions…I suggest that I go for a pint.

Tom.

I wish I could buy it for you! All your efforts very much appreciated Tom. Thanks a lot.

I guess it's time to contend with the 'Silver War Badge' beast in his Kew lair... :D

Hope it tastes good...

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Any information on either of the following would be great:

Private Leonard William Campbell BURTON, 608334, died aged 17 in 1918, whilst being nursed by his mother (VAD?). (Nothing else known about him except he was possibly Northants Regt)

and

2nd Lt John Amyan Ludford CHAMPNEYS, 73rd Sqdn RFC, killed in action 17/6/18, buried at Marissel National Cemetery

from SDGW;

Rifleman Leonard Walter Burton, 18th County of London Battalion, (London Irish Rifles,) London Regiment.

Born in Mile end, Enlisted in London, while living in Mile End, KIA ( thats what it says) on 23/3/1918, Formerly 4591 of the 6th London Regt.

From CWGC;

BURTON, LEONARD WALTER

Initials: L W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: London Regt (London Irish Rifles)

Unit Text: 1st/18th Bn.

Date of Death: 23/03/1918

Service No: 608334

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Bay 10

Cemetery: ARRAS MEMORIAL

ARRAS MEMORIAL

Locality: Pas de Calais

Visiting Information: The Panel Numbers quoted at the end of each entry relate to the panels dedicated to the Regiment served with. In some instances where a casualty is recorded as attached to another Regiment, his name may alternatively appear within their Regimental Panels. Please refer to the on-site Memorial Register Introduction to determine the alternative panel numbers if you do not find the name within the quoted Panels. Wheelchair access to the cemetery is possible, but may be by alternative entrance. For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Section on 01628 507200.

Location Information: The Arras Memorial is in the Faubourg-d'Amiens Cemetery, which is in the Boulevard du General de Gaulle in the western part of the town of Arras. The cemetery is near the Citadel, approximately 2 kilometres due west of the railway station.

Historical Information: The French handed over Arras to Commonwealth forces in the spring of 1916 and the system of tunnels upon which the town is built were used and developed in preparation for the major offensive planned for April 1917. The Commonwealth section of the FAUBOURG D'AMIENS CEMETERY was begun in March 1916, behind the French military cemetery established earlier. It continued to be used by field ambulances and fighting units until November 1918. The cemetery was enlarged after the Armistice when graves were brought in from the battlefields and from two smaller cemeteries in the vicinity. The cemetery contains 2,651 Commonwealth burials of the First World War. In addition, there are 30 war graves of other nationalities, most of them German. During the Second World War, Arras was occupied by United Kingdom forces headquarters until the town was evacuated on 23 May 1940. Arras then remained in German hands until retaken by Commonwealth and Free French forces on 1 September 1944. The cemetery contains seven Commonwealth burials of the Second World War. The graves in the French military cemetery were removed after the First World War to other burial grounds and the land they had occupied was used for the construction of the Arras Memorial and Arras Flying Services Memorial. The ARRAS MEMORIAL commemorates almost 35,000 servicemen from the United Kingdom, South Africa and New Zealand who died in the Arras sector between the spring of 1916 and 7 August 1918, the eve of the Advance to Victory, and have no known grave. The most conspicuous events of this period were the Arras offensive of April-May 1917, and the German attack in the spring of 1918. Canadian and Australian servicemen killed in these operations are commemorated by memorials at Vimy and Villers-Bretonneux. A separate memorial remembers those killed in the Battle of Cambrai in 1917. The ARRAS FLYING SERVICES MEMORIAL commemorates nearly a 1,000 airmen of the Royal Naval Air Service, the Royal Flying Corps, and the Royal Air Force, either by attachment from other arms of the forces of the Commonwealth or by original enlistment, who were killed on the whole Western Front and who have no known grave. Both cemetery and memorial were designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens, with sculpture by Sir William Reid Dick.

No. of Identified Casualties: 34734

I already posted this information on this site but I obviously clicked the wrong button and it got lost in cyberspace..........anyway,

I will check the other databases for this man and your RFC guy this evening........now I am off to work. Have a good one.

Tom

I checked the rest of the databases this evening and there was nothing new in them regarding Lt Champneys and Pte Burton…….sorry

No problems at all, thanks for the info you did provide!

Tom,

Could you please check your U.S. source for these 2 men?

Pvt. Garnett W. Brown, HQ Company, 9th U.S. Infantry (Possibly died May 2, 1918)

and the other I have nothing on but a name: Daniel Schroll.

Anything you can do would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

This is all I got for Brown;

BROWN, Garnett W., Schenectady., NEW YORK, Private, DIED OF ACCIDENT

Schroll is such a rare name there was only one hit (in two databases) but not for your man..........I put it here anyway;

Charles Schroll

Private, U.S. Army

28th Infantry Regiment, 1st Infantry Division

Entered the Service from: Pennsylvania

Died: August 31, 1918

Buried at: Plot B Row 17 Grave 13

Oise-Aisne American Cemetery

Fere-en-Tardenois, France

regards.

Tom

Tom,

Thanks so much for looking--greatly appreciated. I guess Daniel could have been Charles Schroll's middle name. I did find the photo I have of him in Pennsylvania. (Notation on front "Daniel Schroll" and reverse "Daniel Schroll Died in First World War" Below (and next post) is the reason for my inquiry about Brown--a letter he wrote to a female friend in Amsterdam, NY. on April 24, 1918.

Notation on envelope states "Died May 2, 1918 Recd June 3, 1918" so he wrote the letter apparently a little over a week before his death.

I particularly like his statement about sunny France, although he may have had France confused with Italy.

Chris

post-16-1077252460.jpg