Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Garrison Battalion Royal Warwickshires

londons

Hi,

I hope someone out there can help.

My ggrandfather was believed to have been in this regiment in 1917 based in Abbassia, Cairo and I have a photo of him, and dated by him, during this period in pith helmet etc. However the medal roll states his first unit as 1st Bn Royal Warwickshire Regt (not 1st Gn Bn RWR), but they never went to Egypt and there is no family recollections of him ever going to France.

I have the war diary for his brief period of servivce before he went into the Labour Corps in Egypt and then the 10th londons.

Does anyone out there know of this 1st Gn Bn RW regiment and its insignia etc and also of the labour corps ?

Does anyone know how a soldier (London Territorial with 6th London Rifles in 1914) could come to get his first posting with the 1st Gn Bn RWR in Egypt in 1917 and then the Labour Corps followed by the 10th Londons ?

Anyone else have experience of mistakes on the medal roll (although in this case it would be a very small discrepancy!!).

Does it always follow that the medals are allocated to the last regiment of service ?

Thanking you all for your time and in anticipation of some help (before I go even crazier !!).

Thanks.

Regards,

Lee

Hi Terry,

Thanks for your note.

My ggrandfather was Pte David Martin Vincent no. 269365.

However, his number on the medal roll has been modified and could be 299365

Hope you can help !! Many thanks for your interest.

Regards,

Lee

Hi Lee

Sorry, cannot find him. I thought he might have been wounded with the 1st Royal Warwicks, then on recovery posted to the Garrison Battalion in Egypt.

If Rob Williams sees this thread he might be able to help.

Regards

Terry