Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sanders Keep

Stephen Nulty

Looking into the story of a friend's relative, I came across reference to the above named cemetery.

CWGC states:-

"Sanders Keep" was a German fortification 2 kilometres South-West of the village, between the Hermies and Havrincourt roads. It was stormed by the Scots Guards on the 27th September, 1918, and after the fight the British and German dead were buried on the battlefield by the Guards Division Burial Officer. There are now nearly 150, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, a small number are unidentified. The cemetery covers an area of 755 square metres and is enclosed by a stone rubble wall."

Looking at the Cemetery reports, I have found that most of the casualties, as suggested, are dated 27/09/1918. But instead of Scots Guards, as stated on CWGC, the men are a real mixture of Coldstream, Grenadier, Scots, Welsh and Irish Guards, plus a few random chaps from other units.

Does anybody have any more information on this action, please?

The chap I am looking at, William Moody, was aged 18 and served with 1st Irish Guards.

This may not be of much use but is there anything in the Kipling book on the 1st Irish Guards?

The Cemetery is I believe named after a VC winner who is buried there......

Thanks for that. I have found a good narrative in Kipling's book.

Stephen

Send me an address by PM and I will post to you copies of the pages from the History of the Guards in the Great War that cover their involvement in the breaking of the Hindenburgh Line that started on 27th September 1918. (Battle of the Canal Du Nord). Hopefully this will give you some insight into the 1st IG actions.

Nick

Many thanks. PM sent

• 5 years later...

I am researching Guardsman 27767 Ernest Edward Vincent who was with the 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards who died on 28th September 1918 and is buried at Sanders Keep Military Cemetery. I presume that he was also a casualty of the Battle of the Canal du Nord. I know that he enlisted in Bristol but do not have any information as to when he enlisted so do not know much about his service history up until his date of death.

• 1 year later...
Guest Garry Coghlan

Are you still interested in this battle and the Graincourt-les-Havrincourt cemetery? My great uncle served in the Irish Guards, was killed in the battle and is buried in the cemetery. I may have some information but most of it is personal.

• 1 year later...

Stephen - were you there recently? I visited a number of CWGC cemeteries today and recall that one of the Visitors' Books had a number of recent entries relating to a Moody? Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steven 

There is also a place called Sanders Camp which was mentioned in the 17th Battalion Royal Fusiliers war diary late Feb 1918 and March 1918 its not far from Mill Cross near Bertincourt.

Regards Andy

• 2 years later...

Hi . My greatuncle who was from Waterford in Ireland is buried here.  . I know he was in the Irish guards and I already have the Kipling book and from his date of death and burial place I know he died during the canal du nord phase but any information would be nice. His name was Michael Gough and he was 19 when he died.