Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regimental numbering: an overview

Muerrisch

TF renumbering 1917, anyone have ACI 2414 please?

I would hugely appreciate a scan of this seminal ACI, which gives detail of the renumbering into the six-figure series. I am well aware of the excellent article in The Long, Long Trail, but, for the definitive work on numbering we are attempting, I need to see the original.

Most grateful if someone can oblige.

This appeal also in 'Other'

Hi

Given Graham is getting a nice sun tan I wondered if these got passed on in his hectic depature.

All from the early DLI SWB lists, There is something strange about Nightingale, no indication that he is in a spec res Bn. If he enlisted in 1900 you would expect a four figure starting 7...

If he was a re-enlistment with that number he re-enlisted in 1907 or what I think is he is 3/10230 having been a regular and joined the spec res.

Number Name Enlisted

5423 A Smith 26/01/1895

5600 E T Philpott 14/05/1895

7357 H Chritchley 22/12/1900

8002 J Taylor 08/10/1902

8686 M Sloan 23/12/1903

8697 F Airey 04/01/1904

8789 R H Bell 01/03/1904

8849 A Wilson 20/04/1904

8944 E Tilley 29/08/2004

9041 B Gunton 23/11/1904

9814 T Cawley 16/01/2007

10230 J Nightingale 30/04/1900

11008 H Miller 09/08/1910

4/9302 H Dunkerley 05/09/1914

3/11720 T W Darvill 20/10/1914

10230 J Nightingale enlisted 30/04/1900

Embarks with 2nd Bn as a Sgt 08/09/1914, 1914 Star Roll, discharged as WOII because of Frostbite in June 1915, SWB list. Not in the W&V Roll where he should be!

Really got me going now 1900 enlistment should be four figure starting 6... or 7... One would expect a five figure to have enlisted in 1907

Can any get me the W&V reference off the MRC please.

regards

John

Testing the water.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel ...... project approaching completion.

So, how to publish?

It will be about 40 sides A4, 10 point .... 17000 words, many tables and diagrams.

Graham and I have spent a great deal of hard-earned on research, and one way of recouping might be to sell as a booklet: spiral bound or whatever, could be home-produced to order and mailed out.

Postage, paper, ink, printer wear and tear must account for say £2 to £3.

Any possible takers, ideas etc?

[Don't want the fag of dealing with printers and publishers, been there, done that .....]

We hope this is the definitive guide, the first ever, AD1800 up to last week, as it were.

Any ideas?

During the course of this topic I have noticed a mention of Army number prefixes - including 'G' which I'm interested in.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the relevance of prefixes - especially 'G'?

Many thanks

During the course of this topic I have noticed a mention of Army number prefixes - including 'G' which I'm interested in.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the relevance of prefixes - especially 'G'?

Chris

I don't know how widespread the G/ prefix was but for those infantry Regiments in Eastern Command, Middlesex, Royal Fusiliers, Royal Sussex etc... the G/ Prefix indicates General Service, i.e. service for the duration of the war only.

Steve

Grumpy

I've no idea how you approach publishing, distribution etc. but whatever you decide to do I'll register an interest in a copy (at least that way you'll get an idea of numbers, even if it's only the one ;) )

Steve

Many thanks, Steve. That fits nicely as the men in question were members of 8th East Surreys. Another fast resolution from the GWF!

Grumpy

I would also be interested in purchasing a copy.

Mike S

I should also be interested in obtaining a copy when available.

I hope I made it clear that:

a. the work is not finished, merely on the home straight.

b. that my co-author will certainly want a say [from Saudi], and

c. that a preferred means of promulgation [!] has not been batted around much.

Nevertheless, all your interests have been noted, thank you.

Why not an electronic copy? Upload the product to the web and then sell each buyer a pass code to get access. You can put it in a PDF file that is password protected so it can not be altered, etc. However anyone who buys a paper copy could make copies for redistribution anyway.

Sort of the way that fellow is selling his Idiot Diet on the web. Many others do it as well. I'll bet there is a service that will look after it for you for a small fee, so set your price and then add that fee on top - probably less than handling and postage.

Richard

Yes, electronic is a possibility ..... trouble is, I use all my energy on research and writing and have a patrician disdain for vulgar trade [how my subconscious sees it!] such that my five published books were all grief the moment I put down the figurative pen.

I need an entrepreneurial alter ego to take over!

At no cost!!

My son published a book earlier this year (self published). He did a lot of research before going the route that he did. As I understand it his best, easiest and cheapest option was to have the book prepared on a disc in the way that he and the printer wanted it. The disc was made available to the printer who just popped it into the computer attached to his printing presses and the whole operation produced a properly printed, bound and trimmed book for immediate use. From then on each book was printed to order ie my son found a buyer for a book, advised the printer and the book was printed, wrapped and posted direct to the purchaser - one at a time if necessary. No need to print hundreds and have them in a box under the bed awaiting buyers. If interested I would be happy to pass on son's telephone number for a chat.

David,

Perhaps a word with the editor of the WFA's most excellent Stand To! would be useful? I would imagine it is published in a very similar manner to that described by Jim.

Regards

Steve

Thank you: I am a regular contributor to ST!, but a period-spread of AD 1800 to the present will probably be unappetising for a 1914-1918 journal!

My son published a book earlier this year (self published). He did a lot of research before going the route that he did. As I understand it his best, easiest and cheapest option was to have the book prepared on a disc in the way that he and the printer wanted it. The disc was made available to the printer who just popped it into the computer attached to his printing presses and the whole operation produced a properly printed, bound and trimmed book for immediate use. From then on each book was printed to order ie my son found a buyer for a book, advised the printer and the book was printed, wrapped and posted direct to the purchaser - one at a time if necessary. No need to print hundreds and have them in a box under the bed awaiting buyers. If interested I would be happy to pass on son's telephone number for a chat.

Thank you, noted: most interested. Please PM.

David,

Yes - sorry - I should perhaps have been clearer? I did not mean publication within ST!, but publication of a booklet using the same format and facilities as used by ST!, whereby articles are submitted on disk for electronic editing then printed from that medium. Jim seems have come up with the solution, if a 'paper' document is to be the end result.

Regards

Steve

My generation is always happier with a paper document! For 41 years I successfully fought off the concept of a paperless office!

Can't beat a good book in front of the fire, with a glass of red biddy.

Paper every time. You can pick it up at any time without having to switch on, load a disc, select a program etc.

I am now in, sort of, contact with Graham Stewart in Saudi.

Its hare and tortoise stuff, his use of a PC is very circumscribed [good one, he keeps getting the end cut off!].

I have no problem with PDF, did my books in it, so thank you for the tip.

Project going like a train. A Swiss train!