Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Italy

InkyBill

Hi everyone

According to the Italy section on the Long Trail main site Britain sent Howitzer Batteries to help the Italians in March 1917.

Would i be correct in thinking that these were the only British troops to see action in Italy until Nov 1917 when the main bulk of British divisions arrived ? Who commanded these Howitzers, were they under the command of Italian generals or did they operate independently ?

My reason for asking is i have a man who served with 'D' Bty 70th Brigade RFA who surposedly served in Italy, confusion exists however as he also fought in Third Ypres and DOW on 20th Oct 1917. Obviously this date is before the main bulk of British divisions were despatched to the Italian front so i can only assume he was sent there with the Howitzers in March 1917, does anyone know the movements of 70th Bde ?

Thanks in advance

Marc

Marc

Funny enough I was looking through Farndale's RA book "Forgotten Fronts and the

Home Front" last night and I noticed a picture of Howitzers in Italy. Let me check

this evening and I will come back to you tomorrow if there's any information

Geoff

Geoff, hope you don't mind me giving details from "Forgotten Fronts".

94th and 95th Heavy Artillery Groups RGA left Aldershot for Italy 07/04/17. 101st HAG RGA joined them in July.

4-10 Oct 1917 95th left for Palestine and 101st for Mesoptamia.

This left 94th (5 x Siege Batteries) in Italy.

14th Corps was sent to Italy entraining on 16/11/17 and first units arriving in the line 25/11/17. No mention of 70th Bde RFA in the ORBAT of British Forces in Italy. First divisions moved back to France in Feb 18.

Thanks both Geoff and Richard for taking the time to reply to my post, thats at least cleared a few things up. As a matter of interest can you tell from forgotten fronts if 70th Bde RFA ever served in Salonika.

Cheers

Marc

They are mentioned in the Western Front volume - at Loos 70 Bde RFA inc D battery with 15-pdrs as part of 15 Inf Div artillery - 25 Sept 15 - 15 Div artillery "to form strong centre" between Maroc & Lens to cover advance. D Bty came into action 1m N of Maroc @ 1500 - enfiladed from Hulluch & Lens.

Mentioned in the ORBAT for 8 Apr 1917 advance to Arras, again 15 Div arty now with howitzers.

Mentioned in the ORBAT for 3rd Ypres as for Arras.

Mentioned as augmenting 51 Highland Div's arty for Cambrai, assisting in the capture of Flequieres.Also mentioned as part of a mixed arty grouping assisting the Guards Div in an attack on Bourlon, 26 Nov 17. Also 1 Dec 17 "An attack by the Guards, supported by the guns of 70 Brigade RFA (who happened to be moving through Third Army area on 30th November!).............was partially successful".

Becke's ORBAT of divisions shows 15th Div firmly ensconced on the Western Front with 70th Bde RFA as part of its arty throughout the war. 15th Div's history has 6 mentions of 70th Bde RFA.

Cheers Richard,

I think the Italy/Salonika thing must have been with another unit, after returning to England he was then transferred to 70th Bde RFA on the Western Front.

Marc