Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Walter Stone

Guest gen_wizard

Guest gen_wizard

Hi Pals,

I was hoping that someone might know what happened to Walter Stone of the Canadian Mounted Rifles. He joined up on the 22 Feb 1916 in Beamsville, Ontario. He was killed on 28th August 1918 in France. It is thought that he died at the battle of Vimy Ridge, France. What i would like to find out is what his unit was and if there is any unit war diaries is there any mention of him. What medals he won, and anything else about him that i can find. I think that his service number is 225654, but i'm not sure as this is the number at the top of his attestation papers. Are there any roll books that might be available online that i could check or anything else that maybe available.

Thanks for any help that anyone can give me.

Regards to everyone

Mike

Mike,

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission web site has:

Name: STONE, WALTER NESFIELD

Initials: W N

Nationality: Canadian

Regiment: Canadian Infantry (Manitoba Regt.)

Unit Text: 43rd Bn.

Date of Death: 28/08/1918

Service No: 225654

Additional information: Son of Guy Ironside Stone and Muriel Stone, of Beamsville, Ontario.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Cemetery: VIMY MEMORIAL

The 43rd Battalion war diaries for 1918 are available on line from the National Archives of Canada at:

http://data4.archives.ca/netacgi/nph-brs?s..._e.html&r=2&f=G

Regards

Mark

Guest gen_wizard

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for the imformation about the war diaries, i'll get right on that and see what i can find out for my girlfriend. Its her great uncle.

Again many thanks

Mike

Mike, it looks like Walter joined a Mounted Rifle Depot, which then supplied him to the 43rd Battalion Cameron Highlanders out of Winnipeg, Manitoba. The kilted Camerons were in the 9th Brigade, 3rd Division CEF.

Walter died in the heavy fighting at Remy on August 28th 1918 as the 43rd were supporting river crossings, attached to 8th Brigade. Already decimated by casualties from shelling, the understrength companies suffered over fifty percent casualties. Apparently the 43rd got little support from their countrymen.

As Walter is remembered on the Vimy Memorial, no doubt he went missing on that day, a victim of shellfire or perhaps he was swept away in the river.

You may wish to order his service records from the Canadian National Archives. These will tell you how Walter was transferred from his original enlisting battalion (very common); where he served; when he was wounded; when he was punished; when he was given leave, etc.

<http://www.archives.ca/02/020206_e.html>

Have fun, Peter in Vancouver

I add some excerpts from Nicholson:

"The Battle of the Scarpe 1918, 26-30 August

The fighting on the 28th, a day warm and bright after much rain during the night, was extremely bitter and accompanied by heavy losses.

The 43rd Battalion and the 5th C.M.R. stormed the high ground between the Cojeul and the Sensée known as "Seventy Ridge". They captured the ridge and Rémy Wood beyond, but could not take the village of Haucourt, just across the Sensée.

Casualties for the day were heavy, and brought the total reported by the 2nd and 3rd Divisions in the three days' fighting to 254 officers and 5547 other ranks.

As the formations which had been relieved moved to locations west of Arras for an all too brief period of recuperation, they could take pride in having got the Corps operation away to an excellent start. In three days of the bitterest kind of fighting, over difficult, broken country beset with a maze of stoutly held trenches, the two Canadian divisions had advanced more than five miles on an ever-widening front and had seized an important part of the enemy's strong Fresnes-Rouvroy defence system, capturing more than 3300 prisoners and a vast quantity of booty that included 53 guns and 519 machine- guns."

http://ca.geocities.com/cameronhighlanderscanada/title.htm provides some further history. Pal Rob Bulloch is a Queens Own Cameronian buff, he might be able to help you out also.

Guest gen_wizard

Hi Guys,

Thankyou all so much. All that imformation has helped me no end and has thrilled his great neice. How can i get in touch with Rob Bulloch? I'm going to send for his service record next. Again many thanks

Regards

Mike