Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Famous Somme painting

Guest Desmond6

If anyone has posted this before on the forum - please accept my apologies. However, came across a document today which gives excellent details on one of the most famous WW1 'battle paintings'. I am referring to the 36th Ulster Division painting of July1 1916. Could someone who is more technically aware than I am post a copy to help this topic?

Anyway, the document I have received states (in its final paragraph) - 'The officer is Francis Bodenham Thornely. He was born in August 1896, the son of R.M. Thornely of the Old Hall, Eyton, leominster, Hereforshire. Also he was the nephew of Major P. L. Kington Blair Oliphant, the second-in-command of the 11th battalion Royal Irish Rifles. Thornely was educated at Uppingham School 1910-14 and appointed Lieutenant on december 31 1914. During the battle he was wounded while serving with 'B' Company and while recuperating, he was assigned to advise the artist.'

The document begins:- The picture is considered to be a realistic representation, devoid of sensationalism and capturing the atmosphere of the historic occasion. It depicts soliders of the 11th (Service) battalion The Royal Irish Rifles (South Antrim Volunteers), the right forward unit of the 108th Inf. Brig. The first wave is seen leaving the 'A' line of trenches from which prisoners are being evacuated and approaching the 'B' line preceded by a bombing party throwing Mills bombs.

Once man can be seen carrying a marker in the form of the Battalion sign mounted on a pole used to indicate to observers the extent of the unit's progress. In the centre of the picture can be seen a rifleman eagerly pressing forward with a determined expression and a bloody bayonet. he is from 15th Bn. The Royal Irish Rifles (North belfast volunteers) the supporting unit of 108th Inf. Brig. His unit can be distinguished by the scarlet triangular shoulder flash.

The soldiers are wearing khaki service dress some with the trousers shortened because of the warm weather. The Bn. flash, an inverted orange semi-circle is worn on the upper arm. their accoutrements are the pattern 1914 leather infantry equipment which was issued to units of the new army as a substitute for the 1908 pattern web equipment, at this stage in short supply and only in use with the regular ands first-line territorial force units. A rolled ground sheet is secured to the belt at the back. Picks and shovels are carried by certain men and the bombers carry their reserve of grenades in canvas buckets fitted with slings. All ranks are armed with the SMLE with the first type of sword bayonet, no.1mk.1 pattern 1, 1907.

Anyone from Leominster interested? I'd also love to know who penned this descrption of the

painting. I've only got a photocopy with no other details.

This painting is in Belfast City hall and is well worth a visit..Thornely,an Englishman has become somewhat of an Ulster icon was actually at home with German measles when he posed for it.

The Ulster museum did an exhibition of Ulster icons and this painting was featured, it gave an awful lot more infomation.

Thanks Mark. This is a serious question - was it just officers who 'cut down' their trousers like this? Can you hear the CSM if all the rank and file started to cut up their battldedress trousers? Was this a common thing? I would have thought that somebody would end up on a charge for mutilating HM property.

Des

Would you mind if I used the information that you have posted here for an article on my website?

Of course I would add that the information was supplied by you.