Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA at Winchester,Hants 1915

manxsapper

I have a post card that my G Uncle that he sent just prior to leaving for France on Christmas Eve 1915,and the post mark states Winchester, Hants. Can anyone tell me what the Royal field Artillery were doing around that area? He went on to join the 122nd Brigade RFA (38th Div).

You may want to try asking the RAA Winchester branch:

http://www.raa.uk.com/winchester.html

I do know that Winchester was an important stepping stone for sending troops to France. I am kind of guessing here, but it is possible that he was simply "passing through" on his way to France. But this is not necessarily so. Where did your man enlist and spend his early military days? Best regards

Dimitri

The only information I have is that he enlisted at Barrow in Furness, Cumbria,mid 1915. I don't know any other info regarding his training as yet-maybe someone may know if there was a main camp for RFA recruits?

From Kitchener's Army - 38th Div:

One battery was formed at Cardiff which later, in January 1915, joined three others at Porthcawl. From Porthcawl, the batteries then moved to Pwellheli, where each received instructions to duplicate. In March and April and now comprising eight batteries, the artillery was divided into two, and in this way provided the nucleus of four brigades, each of four batteries. To make up the extra personnel required, 119th, 120th and 121st Brigades were transferred complete from the original 30th Division in England. In the same way, 122nd Brigade from the original 31st Division also joined. The original numbers 119th-122nd, were retained, and these brigades formed part of the 38th (Welsh) Division.

Divisional Headquarters opened at Colwyn Bay on 19 January 1915, and in the following June the Division began to collect at Winchester.

It appears that many R.F.A. units passed through Winchester.

On 24 December 1914, the XXXI Brigade established Brigade HQ at the Star Hotel in the High Street.

"Cleaning materials for horses harness and dubbin for boots had to be purchased locally in small quantities as an issue not obtainable" (Copyright PRO)

On January 4th the Brigade had to move out of Winchester to make room for the infantry, one Battery going to Colden Common, another to Shawford, the Ammunition Column to Thyford with the third Battery adjoining Winchester College, where Brigade Headquarters had moved to on January 2nd.

After being reviewed by H.M. the King and Kitchener on the 12th, the marched off to Southampton docks.

The Swansea Battalion spent some time training at Winchester (with other elements of the 38th (Welsh) Div) prior to departure for France in December 1915.

Bernard

• 3 years later...

With the outbreak of WW1 Winchester became a training area for Many Divisions, which had previously not existed. Many camps were built and it was an ideal place as it was close to Southampton Dock.

27th Div trained there.

Google Morne Camp - sorry I have lost the link