Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Badges, Medals and Bits and Bobs

raich

Hi,

A trip to my mum's proved useful today, I came away with the items below in a folder entitle Josiah Grice (my great great uncle - mentioned in the signature below). Some of the items are for the Leicestershire Regiment, although to my knowledge no-one from my family served in the Tigers. Some of these pieces are quite specific e.g. Uppingham, so I'm hoping someone can help shed some light.

there are a couple of badges and some sort of medal. There are also belgium coins with a hole bored through. One of them has an attachment for a chain. Not sure why someone would want this around their neck, does anyone have any ideas?

Finally there seems to be a bracelet with my relatives regt. number his denomination and Bn. I've read somewhere that soldiers would wear "red and green tags", so if someone was killed one was sent back to HQ and the other remained on the body for burial. This bracelet doesn't have any colour red or green on them - does anyone recognise the piece???

Also there's a card sent from France/Belgium - does anyone recognise the flag with the lion on it?

Thanks as ever for anyone who can help.

Raich

post-28343-1198940551.jpg

post-28343-1198940565.jpg

Hi Raich,

The Uppingham cap badge was worn by the Officer Training Corps of Uppingham School.

You are correct about the identity tags, so the one in the photo is probably a privately made one, some-times worn around the wrist.

The small bronze medal looks like one of many made to celebrate peace after the war.

The large pin badge is the Silver War Badge awarded to servicemen invalided out of the services due to injuries or illness. There should be a serial number on the back which can be used to identify the recipient.

Hope this helps you,

Regards,

ARABIS.

Thanks Arabis, that's most helpful.

My chap wasn't invalided, so I've no idea where the Silver War Badge came from - I imagine that this, the coins and the peace medal were from an antique fair by my father when he was alive, as these weren't contained with the other stuff relating to my relative J. Grice.

If anyone has an image of the tags a soldier would wear I'd be very interested in seeing them.

Raich

If anyone has an image of the tags a soldier would wear I'd be very interested in seeing them.

Unissued red and green fibre ID discs on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dog-Tags-ID-discs-Comm...1QQcmdZViewItem

They would have been both attached to string and worn round the neck, both stamped with the soldiers number, initial/s and surname, rank, regiment and religion. The lower red one (red for blood) would be removed at death so the authorities would know he was dead, the second green one (for corruption) would remain with the body to enable the remains to be identified later if necessary. The metal one you have is a private purchase/home made example worn around the wrist, typically encountered as the issue ones were prone to rotting, and (more gruesomely) if a man was badly blown to pieces by shellfire, also to enable his various scattered remains to be more readily identifiable for burial... :o

Unissued red and green fibre ID discs on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dog-Tags-ID-discs-Comm...1QQcmdZViewItem

They would have been both attached to string and worn round the neck, both stamped with the soldiers number, initial/s and surname, rank, regiment and religion. The lower red one (red for blood) would be removed at death so the authorities would know he was dead, the second green one (for corruption) would remain with the body to enable the remains to be identified later if necessary. The metal one you have is a private purchase/home made example worn around the wrist, typically encountered as the issue ones were prone to rotting, and (more gruesomely) if a man was badly blown to pieces by shellfire, also to enable his various scattered remains to be more readily identifiable for burial... :o

Hi Andrew,

That's very informative. My relative has no grave, like so many around 3rd Ypres in 1917. Do you think it a reasonable assumption that the fact that I have the metal version would indicate that his body was found, that his body was not recovered as he was beyond help - or would he have more than one bracelet/taken this one off...? Incidentally he was killed by shellfire apparently, he told a villager whilst on leave for the last time that he wouldn't be coming back, so I can imagine, he was (understandibly) very preoccupied with death, which would explain why he made his own...

Raich

Hi Raich,

I think the yellow flag could be the flag of flanders,featuring the lion of flanders.

I am also a big cycle racing fan and most years watch the professional tour of flanders cycle race and this flag is always flown by the belgian fans !!.

kind regards,

John.

The second from the left on the bottom row has been on E-Bay recently, B******d if I can remember what it was though (mind you I'm the wrong side of a good bottle of Chablis at the moment!)

Raich

The Silver War Badge was issued to all troops who were wounded,whether they recovered or were pensioned out.

Sotonmate

Isn't the badge numbered? And isn't it possible to research the number?

The Silver War Badge is numbered B257247, initially I thought this was a regt. number but I think it's just the number of the badge itself. I think one can trawl through the TNA to find it, so I'll have to visit one day.

Raich

Hi Raich,

these are my grandfathers fibre tags, sorry its not too clear.

cheers,John.

Do you think it a reasonable assumption that the fact that I have the metal version would indicate that his body was found, that his body was not recovered as he was beyond help - or would he have more than one bracelet/taken this one off...?

I don't think you can make any assumptions. He may have had a grave which was later lost through the passage of time or enemy action.