Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th A&SH unit history

delta

Has anyone got history for 10 (Svc) Bn of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders?

Looking for Capt Allen Holford-Walker - poss the adjt or coy comd

Stephen

You called?

He is listed in the appendix of officers served; and he is in the Officers' Group photo taken at Bramshott in 1915 (I can scan if you like), though the adjutant then was Capt WG Campbell. He is not in another officers photo, taken after Longueval in July '16, nor does he appear in the index, so it doesn't look as if he gets any mentions.

Broomers - you are a star

This suggests he was a company commander - yes please to the scan (when was it takne - do we know)

He was with the HB of the MGC feom MMay 1918 hence the absnece from the photo at Longueval

Stephen

The Battalion was at Bramshott from 'Spring' 1915 to their departure for France in May of that year. He wasn't a Company Commander - those roles were taken by Captains Muir ("A" Coy), Cox ("B" - both Muir and Cox were Argylls), Mac Pherson ("C") and G D Campbell ("D" - both MacPherson and Campbell were from the 40th Pathans).

Attached is Walker - I've e-mailed it and the photo of the whole group.

post-6673-1199019679.jpg

thanx Steve - 10th A&S had a very "regular heavy" officers' mess then

Stephen

I think most of the K1 and K2 divisions did - retired officers of the regiment, occasional returned wounded, and Indian Army chaps on furlough who were retained with the agreement of the India Office, I believe.