Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 RNR Minesweeper

John Hayden

Hello Gents,

Happy New Year to all who utilise this excellent forum.

Sometime ago whilst researching my family tree I gained some assistance about my Grandad's WW1 Minesweeper, he was a skipper from 1916-1918.

Both my late father and my old uncle still in Australia, have memories of this ship being called "Chevalier". Both of them by the way were old MN salts.

With your kind help we found a vessel of that name, a paddle steamer from Scotland. I have received help via the paddle steamer webmaster, that the McBrayne notes indicate that it was not requisitioned by the Admiralty as a sweeper.

Another paddle steamer, the "Grenadier" was used but possibly renamed the "Grenade" for the duration of the service.

This made me wonder whether there was a policy to change the name of a ship for some reason just for war service.

As I intend to research my Grandad's RNR naval history and his MN records before and after the war and visit the Admiralty records at Kew and look at the ADM240 and ADM340 files.

Has anyone got any time or money saving tips on visiting the records at Kew?

Thanks,

John.

John,

Hi, nothing on 'Chevalier' at all Im affraid, I would look for your Grandad rather than his ship. He would if he attained the ticket of Skipper/Master be registered by the Board of Trade. Horatio 2 may be able to give you an insight into his RNR career. Any indication on Marrige or childrens birth certificates to give a clue as to who he served with?

Regards Charles

Only two Chevaliers I can find before 1916, one built 1853 and the other 1866, but don't think either made it to WWI

Cheers Ron ;)

Another paddle steamer, the "Grenadier" was used but possibly renamed the "Grenade" for the duration of the service.

This made me wonder whether there was a policy to change the name of a ship for some reason just for war service.

"Grenade" (ex-"Grenadier") paddle of 357 tons launched 1885, 2 X 6pdrs hired 3 July 1916.

Yes, ships were regulalrly renamed. The main reason for it in WWI with merchant vessels was that there was a clash on the Navy List when they were taken into the service.