Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charles William Sayer - killed in WW1

David Seymour

I’m having real trouble trying to find details about one of my Old Boys: Charles William Sayer. Thetford Grammar School records show him as born in Feb 1886. The order of service for the dedication of the First World War Memorial at school includes him, and, of course, he is on the Memorial.

However, CWGC gives only C, plus another initial, Sayer, and none are the right age.

I have tried SAYERS, just in case, and have found that there are five SAYERS with C plus another initial, one Charles who was far too old to be my man, two C Sayers of unknown age and one C W Sayers, again of unknown age.

So could he have been misrepresented, as a Sayers, on his first army form and the mistake followed him forever?

And is he, therefore, one of the three Sayers of unknown age?:

SAYERS, C Private 1925 25/08/1915 Unknown Royal Sussex Regiment United Kingdom Special Memorial H. 24. GREEN HILL CEMETERY

SAYERS, C Serjeant 13/841 03/07/1916 Unknown York and Lancaster Regiment United Kingdom Plot 1. Row B. Grave 18. BERTRANCOURT MILITARY CEMETERY

SAYERS, C W Private 17278 09/10/1918 Unknown 10th (Prince of Wales's Own Royal) Hussars United Kingdom II. B. 7. HONNECHY BRITISH CEMETERY

Does anyone know him?

Where do I go from here?

I suppose he could have enlisted under another name – and therefore I have lost him completely.

As far as names on the Memorial are concerned I have only Charles Sayer to confirm details of now. So any help would be very much appreciated.

Best wishes,

David

Have you looked at the W.Sayer men listed ? I have often found that men in the early 1900s used their middle names rather than their first names. I just quickly checked CWGC for W. Sayer list and found 25.

There is one one listed as Pte.Walter Sayer Norfolk Reg. 7th Bn. 29 years old. 21/04/16. Son of Nathan and Priscilla Sayer of Railway Cottage, Nunnery, Thetford.

Is this your man ? It wouldn't be the first time that I've found a man listed with the wrong first name. eg Oswald instead of Osborne.

Myrtle

He won't be Charlie Sayers of the 4th Royal Sussex, as he was a working class lad from Station Road in Crawley Sussex; my old home town.

Thanks everyone!

His father was A C Sayer, Myrtle, so your suggestion is not my man - but could be a cousin as Sayer doesn't seem to fit into the "Smith" category. And Thetford had a relatively small population at that time - about 4,000 I think. I'll look into that.

Sawyer - I hadn't thought of that, Ian, but worth a shot. Thank you.

I'll keep trying.

Best wishes,

David

David

Have you considered that he might have been discharged from the Army during the course of the war, and then have died of a non-military related illness or accident? He would not have been included in that case on either CWGC or SDGW. So, for instance, he could have been wounded, or blinded, and discharged from the Army, and then perhaps died from influenza or similar - I have a man on Lancing War Memorial who fits into this category. I think you need a death certificate - military or otherwise.

Regards - Sue

David,

You may have considered this already, but was there a local newspaper for the area? I have found many local men listed as killed in my local paper, with more detail than I could have hoped to find elsewhere.

Ken

Ken,

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

I've found him on the 1901 census!:

Charles Sayer, age 15, born Hants, Old Weston, Location 1901: Thetford St Peter, Norfolk. No occupation ( didn't leave us till April 1901).

Best wishes,

David

And I've found his family, living in Thetford St Peter according to the 1901 Census. FreeBMD has also been useful in this.

CHARLES SAYER15 Hants Old Weston Norfolk Thetford St Peter – MY MAN

Emma Sayer 40 (North?) Hants Old Weston (FREE BMD says THRAPSTON, which is nearest town) Norfolk Thetford St Peter No occupation given - MOTHER

Arthur Sayer 39 Norfolk Brooke Norfolk Thetford St Peter Steam Engine Fitter - FATHER

William Sayer 67 Norfolk Croxton Norfolk Thetford St Peter Agricultural Labourer – GRANDFATHER ?

Caroline Sayer 68 Norfolk Longland Norfolk Thetford St Peter Housekeeper – GRANDMOTHER ?

Archibald Sayer 11 Houghton Hants Norfolk Thetford St Peter – BROTHER

Frederick Sayer 13 Norfolk Thetford Norfolk Thetford St Peter – BROTHER

Lots on his family! But not on the crucial part of his life. I've looked at W SAYER/S and at SAWYER. I've even tried Bill Sayer.

Local newspaper is next port of call.

Any further ideas always welcome!

Best wishes,

David

• 5 months later...

Many thanks to all who gave advice re finding Charles Sayer. I now have his death cert and find that he died of tuberculosis and heart failure in September 1918. He had served as a private in the 4/1 Londons.

Regards,

David

David:

Found this on the 1891 Census:

Looks like they are staying at Emma's parents house in 1891!

gordon

> Burbage, Charles 29 Old Weston Son Old Weston Huntingdonshire

> Burbage, Emma 31 Old Weston Daughter Old Weston Huntingdonshire

> Burbage, Rhoda 67 Yelden, Berkshire Wife Old Weston Huntingdonshire

> Burbage, William 71 Old Weston Head Old Weston Huntingdonshire

> Sayer, Archibald 1 Old Weston Grandson Old Weston Huntingdonshire

>

>

> Sayer, Charles 5 Old Weston Grandson Old Weston Huntingdonshire

> On the origonal 1891 census page(Emma listed as Sayer)-but on the print out listed as Burbage.(Transcribers error)(common practice)!

• 2 weeks later...

David:

My pleasure to help out!

gordon