Deemed to have been enlisted into the Lincolnshire Regiment 24/6/16

Called up for Service 5/3/17

Transferred to the Labour Corps 14/5/17

Posted to 744 Area Employment Company 9/9/18

Posted to 277 Area Employment Company 6/3/19

Posted to 262 Area Employment Company 19/4/19

Transferred to Class Z Army Reserve on Demobilization 29/11/19

Discharged 31/3/20

I have to admit to little knowledge of Area Employment Companies. Could anyone offer details or point me in a suitable direction?

Thanks,

Andrew

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Andrew,

Labour Corps number 25664 places your man in the 4th Infantry Labour Coy Lincoln Regt. When the Labour Corps was formed this became the 43rd Labour Company.

Area Employment Coys were linked to a specific town or area.

The Guru Ivor Lee will have a lot more info.

Ian :)

Andrew

The 4th Infantry Labour Company Lincolnshire Regiment arrived in France on 23 March 1917. They appeared to have spent the early part of their time at MAILLY MALLET on salvage work.

In June 1917 they moved to INTERNATIONAL CORNER to work on road repairs. They appear to have continued on roadwork into December 1917. Clearly they were working within the range of German guns as on 17 August 1917 they had to move their camp to 28?/B.13.c.3.7 due to shell fire. (Sorry which part of sheet 28 was illegible).

On 30 January 1918 they were transferred to II Corps area although there is no location. In fact there is a bit of a gap until April 1918 when they were in the HABARCQ area. In June 1918 they were moved to the XIX Corps area. Whilst with XIX Corps they were involved in various tasks including salvage work, moving supplies and agricultural work.

744 Area Employment Company was also located in XIX Corps area in September 1918 – at LEDRINGHEM to be exact.

744 Company remained with XIX Corps until 21 March 1919 when it was disbanded, hence his transfer to 277 AE Company. Between September 1918 and March 1919 they were to serve at POPERINGH, MOORSEELE, COURTRAI, HAZEBROUCK, and CHARLEROI. However there is no reference to how they were employed at any of the locations!

277 Company was the Corps Employment Company for XIX Corps. Unfortunately there are no references to them for March 1919.

262 Company was the Corps Employment Company for II Corps. The only reference I have ever seen for them is that they were disbanded on 28 October 1919!

I am afraid that getting more detailed information about Area or Corps Employment Companies is very difficult. Generally they did not keep their own War Diaries and higher-level diaries rarely mention them. If they do it tend to be a location report only no reference to how they were being employed.

Whilst their initial role would be to support the Corps by undertaking roles including moving stores, clerical work, basic labouring tasks, traffic and guard duties etc we also know that at times they were used for salvage work and other more general labouring tasks.

Hope this helps.

Ivor,

That more than helps!! I am very appreciative of the details and the time taken to jot it all down for me.

All the best,

Andrew

• 7 years later...

Hello, my grt grandfather served in the 4th Bn (extra reserve) Kings Liverpool Regiment (11882) and the Labour Corps (413665).

On the Absent Voters List he is recorded as being in the Labour Corps 899th Area Emply.

Does anyone have any details on the Employment Company?

Rgds

Phil

• 2 years later...