Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th Bn Som. L. I.

Joe Sweeney

Looking for any information on Pte Horace Norman Chant, 31952, of the 7th Bn Som LI.

I've done the PRO look and have found his Medal Role info, but unfortunately could not locate his service records.

Any information would be appreciated.

Joe Sweeney

Joe Sweeney,

I am looking at this at work, and so do not have my research material availible.

I have written a battalion history for the 7th Somerset Light Infantry - Forged by Fire - to be published by Spellmount Publishers in late 2003.

I will check my records and let you have what I have got.

Brendon Moorhouse.

moorhouse@Newmail.net

Joe Sweeney,

Sorry. I have checked my records and do not have anything.

Do you know where Chant came from? I have been through every Somerset paper for WW1 and (subject to having missed him) there is no trace. I have also been through many other papers (eg South Wales) where the battalion also recruited from in large numbers.

His name is not mentioned in any of the officers/soldiers accounts that I have come across.

If you would like information on any particular action then please e-mail me and I will see if I can help.

Brendon Moorhouse.

Brendon,

Thanks for the effort. The only info I have on him comes from the Medal Roll Index. The Medal Roll shows only service in 7th Bn and France.

I just noticed that this info came from Paul Reed (Flanders Research) about 10 years ago.

The original reason for the search is many many years ago I acquired his SD Jacket marked with his name "Chant 31952".

No service record that I can find.

I'm trying to place the history of the man with the jacket.

Thanks again for the effort.

Joe Sweeney

I can't help with service info on this man, however I can tell you that he was the son of Edwin Chant amd Mary (or Mercy) Louisa Chant (Nee Ford) of Norton-sub-Hambden, Somerset. He had and older brother Ewart Stanley Arthur and two sisters Evelyn Bessie amd Lilian Beatrice Hilda. His parents married in 1894. Afraid I don't know his d.o.b.

Heritage Plus,

Thank you for the information, this is wnderful.

By the way how did you come by it?

Census records or such.

Thank you,

Joe Sweeney

Joe

The name started the old grey matter working as I remembered it cropping up during a project I was working on a couple of years ago. I managed to find my notebook. Unfortunately I cannot tell you the original source as I failed to note that! It was a wrong connection and was discarded till now!

Joe

I have been doing a bit of digging.

If you would like to pursue this man further you should contact a gent by the name of John Chant who is reasearching the Chant family of Somerset.

He can be contacted on jchantss8@aol.com