Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Common Invaders

john w.

In 1914 I believe a detachment of the Warwickshire Regt arrived and took over the village common in Stock, Essex.. is there anyone out there with a war diary that can confirm this please...

Mnay were billeted in the village during the war, I may never know who or how many, but I think they were the first.

John

John

They were almost certainly men from the 5th, 6th, 7th or 8th Bns RWR, part of the 48th (South Midland) Division TF. Their war station for mobilization was in the Chelmsford area. They were there until March 1915 when they went to France.

The war diaries are unlikely to be of little help, as they normally only start from the time of embarkation. I would be interested to see if anybody can provide the location of 1/7 RWR in Essex during this period though.

Terry Reeves

And some words to go with the picture:

There were soldiers marching on the common today -

They were there again this evening.

They paced up and down like seabirds on the ground

Before the stormclouds gathering.

From "Rumours of War" by Billy Bragg.

Tom

John;

Call them the 'Warwickshire Regiment' and there will be a delegation visiting with battery on their minds! (one of whom would have been my late Dad, WW2 member thereof...)

'Royal Warwickshires' to non-members of the 'family', Royal Warwicks to insiders. To call them 'Warwickshires' is very infra dig! ;)

Right! Lecture over...

(Ahh, regimental pride; it's like an officer of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards recently upbraided me for referring to the RSDG - the 'Royal Supply Depot Glasgow' as he called it - and said "We are the Scots Dragoon Guards, or Scots DG if you must, and I think you don't" Given the effort some Regiments and Corps for 'Royalty', to deny it bamboozled me!)

Regards

Phil :D