The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Identifying my Lee Enfield

Cliff S

19 minutes ago, CMV said:

Hi CMV

Unfortunately this, as is clearly shown in the first pic, a WWII vintage Rifle No4 MkI which has been FTR'd (refinished)  post WWII (in 1958) to be a Rifle No4 Mk1/2 (with a hung trigger)

As such it is 40 years too late for this forum!

Just FYI it was originally made at the Royal Ordnance Factory at Fazackerley (nr Liverpool) and has a mis-matched, early Longbranch bolt in it.

Have a look over at gunboards.com on the Lee-Enfield site there.

Chris

Edited by 4thGordons

Just now, 4thGordons said:

Hi CMV

Unfortunately this, as is clearly shown in the first pic, a WWII vintage Rifle No4 MkI which has been FTR's post WWII (in 1958) to be a Rifle No4 Mk1/2 (with a hung trigger)

As such it is 40 years too late for this forum!

Just FYI it was originally made at the Royal Ordnance Factory at Fazackerley (nr Liverpool) and has a mis-matched, early Longbranch bolt in it.

Have a look over at gunboards.com on the Lee-Enfield site there.

Chris

Thanks so much, I’ll check it out. I was wondering if it was the original bolt. Sorry for posting in the wrong forum, thanks again!!

Just now, CMV said:

Thanks so much, I’ll check it out. I was wondering if it was the original bolt. Sorry for posting in the wrong forum, thanks again!!

No problem, you are very welcome

BTW I may have misread the refurbishment date I think it is probably 1948 not '58

Chris

2 minutes ago, 4thGordons said:

No problem, you are very welcome

BTW I may have misread the refurbishment date I think it is probably 1948 not '58

Chris

Thank you! As I come across Great War weapons I will post for all. I recently came across a Potsdam Musket that I acquired, but am assuming would be somewhere around 60 years too early for this board. Pretty good stuff here tho, I think I’ll stick around. Thanks again!!

Welcome aboard!

Chris

That is a No1 MkVI Trials Action look at the indent machined away also an A suffix Serial Number signifying non interchangeable parts.A8D836A8-2CEB-45E6-B17B-E7A225A22AA4.jpeg.1af966a14f45eb21b877653042448886.jpeg.bd68d7169b52ea33a34a5ae914e3b1c9.jpeg

download (1).jpg

6 hours ago, 303man said:

That is a No1 MkVI Trials Action look at the indent machined away also an A suffix Serial Number signifying non interchangeable parts.A8D836A8-2CEB-45E6-B17B-E7A225A22AA4.jpeg.1af966a14f45eb21b877653042448886.jpeg.bd68d7169b52ea33a34a5ae914e3b1c9.jpeg

download (1).jpg

Thanks!!! Good info!!

9 hours ago, 303man said:

That is a No1 MkVI Trials Action look at the indent machined away also an A suffix Serial Number signifying non interchangeable parts.

Oh good spot - I missed that!

I wonder if there are any makings indicating it was redone as a Sniper (as I believe a number of these Trials rifles were)

And @CMV just to clarify that is in reference to the rifle before yours, not yours!

Chris

• 3 months later...

I would like help identify 

This is everything I can read on rifle any help appreciated! 

S no4 mil*

C.a.i. Georgia VT.

.303 U.S.A.

71c1480

B

20210523_113053.jpg

Again a WWII rifle so outside of the scope of this forum. It is a Savage produced No. 4 MkI* (number four, mark one star) The C in the serial number is unique to Savage made rifles. The markings on the side of the receiver shown in your photo are the required information added by the importer when the rifle was imported into the U.S.. In this case Century Arms International Georgia, Vermont and the caliber, .303.  The factory markings should be on the same side of the receiver to the left of those shown in the photo.

• 1 month later...

An overall view of the rifle would help but what you have is exactly what it shows there

A MkIII Short, Magazine Lee-Enfield made by RSAF Enfield - I  cannot actually read the date but it may be 1911? _ I can't make out the last digit on your photos

So an SMLE MkIII  (post 1926 referred to as a Rifle, No1 MkIII)

The black (suncorite?) finish on the metal parts is later - possibly suggesting it went through a WWII or later refinish.

Chris

OK so - it has been "sporterized" (turned into a hunting rifle) - this was common practice from the 1930s to the 80s and explains the finish on the metal.

This one looks like it has been done professionally/commercially. A number of companies were doing it, there were several finishes from basic to very high standard. (There may be a stamp on the barrel indicating who did it - eg Parker Hale or Santa Fe for example). This looks like one of the Parker-Hale variants

They were usually supplied with smaller 5 round magazines instead of the issue 10round box. 

It no longer really looks like it would as a military rifle but is probably an accurate and reliable hunting weapon.

Chris

Thank for all the help my friend! What do you think this gun is worth? I bought it off Facebook for $200 

• 1 month later...

Would really like it if someone could give me more information on this 303,

very low numbers, all matching apart from the bolt 

EC9F8C35-1FCB-4028-A8F5-83D93A0617EF.jpeg

D1294E26-7A0A-4854-BB5B-732B0A19D208.jpeg

0E565977-7132-4169-BFF6-7177B3FF9011.jpeg

239D50AF-66B6-4167-9A40-38F42FC3B0F1.jpeg

E55B2F09-A61C-43BB-8F66-768B218668FD.jpeg

03E8A8F9-FDD0-440C-8B56-283C33539A63.jpeg

OK so it is a 1918 MkIII* (Mark three star) produced in 1918 at RSAF Enfield. The original serial number was x932 but that isn't really "Low" its just the 932 one in the X block (after running through the alphabet several times by 1918!) RSAF produced approx 623,000 MkIII* rifles in 1918 and ran through the entire alphabet of prefixes X coming at the end! The bolt has clearly been renumbered (you can see the filing)

It has been heavily modified by cutting down the fore-end and removing the handguards sanding the wood and varnishing it (and of course drilling and tapping the receiver to mount the scope.

This has essentially destroyed any collectability/historical interest in the rifle but it is very common and was a way to produce an accurate and reliable hunting rifle from a cheap (at the time) military surplus rifle that could be bought for a relative pittance up through the early 1990s

At some point the rifle was sold through the civilian firearms trade in the UK (those are the proof markings on top of the barrel)

I am not familiar with the Essex stamp but it may have been the gun dealer who modified or sold the rifle. At first I thought it may be a replacement commercial barrel but it does not appear to be based on all the other markings it looks like the original barrel.

Chris