Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identifying my Lee Enfield

Cliff S

6 hours ago, 303man said:

That is a No1 MkVI Trials Action look at the indent machined away also an A suffix Serial Number signifying non interchangeable parts.A8D836A8-2CEB-45E6-B17B-E7A225A22AA4.jpeg.1af966a14f45eb21b877653042448886.jpeg.bd68d7169b52ea33a34a5ae914e3b1c9.jpeg

download (1).jpg

Thanks!!! Good info!!

9 hours ago, 303man said:

That is a No1 MkVI Trials Action look at the indent machined away also an A suffix Serial Number signifying non interchangeable parts.

Oh good spot - I missed that!

I wonder if there are any makings indicating it was redone as a Sniper (as I believe a number of these Trials rifles were)

And @CMV just to clarify that is in reference to the rifle before yours, not yours!

Chris

• 4 months later...

An overall view of the rifle would help but what you have is exactly what it shows there

A MkIII Short, Magazine Lee-Enfield made by RSAF Enfield - I  cannot actually read the date but it may be 1911? _ I can't make out the last digit on your photos

So an SMLE MkIII  (post 1926 referred to as a Rifle, No1 MkIII)

The black (suncorite?) finish on the metal parts is later - possibly suggesting it went through a WWII or later refinish.

Chris

OK so - it has been "sporterized" (turned into a hunting rifle) - this was common practice from the 1930s to the 80s and explains the finish on the metal.

This one looks like it has been done professionally/commercially. A number of companies were doing it, there were several finishes from basic to very high standard. (There may be a stamp on the barrel indicating who did it - eg Parker Hale or Santa Fe for example). This looks like one of the Parker-Hale variants

They were usually supplied with smaller 5 round magazines instead of the issue 10round box. 

It no longer really looks like it would as a military rifle but is probably an accurate and reliable hunting weapon.

Chris

• 1 year later...

Hey y’all, I’ve recently come into ownership of an enfield and I was just wanting to get some background info on it. I believe I’ve already found out some stuff but it appears y’all know way more than me so I figure I’d let y’all take a crack at it! I appreciate the help! 

3B61E0B7-2E7A-4AB1-A125-5BDB14DE51E5.jpeg

69C28C65-B4CC-4F7E-849F-06DB9AD4E697.jpeg

4D1E0B6E-5648-45BD-AB25-29290D1D2BB3.jpeg

19 hours ago, PAWIII said:

Hey y’all, I’ve recently come into ownership of an enfield and I was just wanting to get some background info on it. I believe I’ve already found out some stuff but it appears y’all know way more than me so I figure I’d let y’all take a crack at it! I appreciate the help! 

3B61E0B7-2E7A-4AB1-A125-5BDB14DE51E5.jpeg

69C28C65-B4CC-4F7E-849F-06DB9AD4E697.jpeg

4D1E0B6E-5648-45BD-AB25-29290D1D2BB3.jpeg

An overall view of the rifle would help. This one also looks like it has been "sportered" however originally it was 

A MkIII* (mark three star) produced by Birmingham Small Arms Co in 1917

It looks to have been converted to MkIII format (adding a cuto-off) in the inter war period the barrel is dated 1937 (although from the views you share it is hard to be sure - it looks like this was done at Enfield as there appear to be Enfield marks on the barrel ) Inter war production was low an one of the ways they kept skills up and machines running was by rebuilding rifles to MkIII status.

The mass of stampings on the right side of the barrel are British Civilian proof marks (for the .303) - indicating this rifle at some point passed through the gun trade in the UK.

The serial number D48219 should also appear on the bolt handle and on the underside of the rear sight (it would also appear on the foresight protector if that is present)

That's about all I can get from these pics - an overall view of both sides might show more (is cutoff present, is original rear sight fitted etc) 

Chris

3 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

An overall view of the rifle would help. This one also looks like it has been "sportered" however originally it was 

A MkIII* (mark three star) produced by Birmingham Small Arms Co in 1917

It looks to have been converted to MkIII format (adding a cuto-off) in the inter war period the barrel is dated 1937 (although from the views you share it is hard to be sure - it looks like this was done at Enfield as there appear to be Enfield marks on the barrel ) Inter war production was low an one of the ways they kept skills up and machines running was by rebuilding rifles to MkIII status.

The mass of stampings on the right side of the barrel are British Civilian proof marks (for the .303) - indicating this rifle at some point passed through the gun trade in the UK.

The serial number D48219 should also appear on the bolt handle and on the underside of the rear sight (it would also appear on the foresight protector if that is present)

That's about all I can get from these pics - an overall view of both sides might show more (is cutoff present, is original rear sight fitted etc) 

Chris

Just grabbed some pictures of the whole rifle. Unfortunately it has been sportered which kinda sucks but ain’t much I can do about it ***

CA52D792-62A8-44EA-8596-AB9D3E6419BC.jpeg

BE22E278-8680-45D2-91EC-FDDC56ADFE04.jpeg

9E704F78-6E3A-45B7-AFF1-4F448355C847.jpeg

Thanks!

Looks like a much reused rear sight but it is correctly renumbered.

I see it does have the cutoff slot but cutoff is not fitted. You could return the rifle to original appearance using reproduction wood now available but that, the work to fit it and the extra metal fittings you would need to buy would not make it very economical but it could be done if you wanted it to look as it originally did.

Seeing a rifle cocked like that makes me nervous! If you hold the trigger down when you close the bolt it will close and remain uncocked.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

So I saw this thread today and saw it had some recent activity so I felt like I needed to post some photos of a Enfield I have found. From what the markings tell me it is a no1 mk3* but to me it looks like this gun has been refurbished at least once maybe more. The markings are strange and appear to be shaved off like many MUMs on Arisaka rifles and the model was (what looks like to me) scratched back into the metal and I see a year either reading 1966 or 1956 but the gun seems way older than that and the date looks crudely marked as well. some metals looks like newer repairs most notably the right side of the wrist metal looks new and has no markings. I unfortunately don't have a full photo of the gun as it photos were taken at the owners home I was looking at it and said I wanted to learn some more about and get back to him but the rifle is in a full size stock that runs all the way up to the barrel like most Enfield's I have seen. If I had to guess it seems like a old rifle that has traveled around the world and seem a few battles but that is just my gut reaction to what I am seeing. I apologize in advance if this rifle is newer than WW1 but I couldn't find any good info on the markings I saw and it looks like someone with good knowledge on these rifles has been very active in this thread and providing lots of good info for people looking for help. THANKS       ALSO I recall not really seeing anything else significant on the rifle so I didn't take photos of anything else on it

IMG_6027.jpg

IMG_6028.jpg

IMG_6026.jpg

IMG_6024.jpg

IMG_6025.jpg

IMG_6023.jpg

IMG_6021.jpg

IMG_6022.jpg

IMG_6020.jpg

Edited by Dunk0

This as an Indian Factory Refinished rifle.

this refinish was indeed done in 1966. These were very thoroughly scrubbed of markings so usually very hard to tell much about original rifle

the furiture(wood) on the rifle is WWII or later ( see reinforcing plate at back) 

I suspect the rifle will also have squared off « ears » on the foresight protectors.

several of the marks you show are US import stamps (and the importer)

The stamps on the Butt are typical of Indian rifles, as are the stock repairs, these rifles saw heavy use as you can see.

During the year this rifle was being refinished the main production at Ishapore had switched to the 7.62mm 2A/2A1 version of the rifle.There was a short production run of rifles in .303 in the early 70s and another small final batch in the mid- late 89s ( probably assembled from parts in stock)

Chris

• 2 weeks later...