Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt John Stanley Horsfall Shafto MC

Guest J.Woodward

Guest J.Woodward

I am searching for any info on John Stanley Horsfall SHAFTO MC, Second Lieutenant 8th Bn The Buffs (East Kent Regiment) who died on Saturday 12 August 1916 and is buried in Bray Military Cemeteray Somme. Transferred from reserve battalion to the 8th Buffs 13th November - with seniority from 10th April 1915. M.C Gazetted 23rd June 1916. He was educated at Truro School (then Truro College) Cornwall. Any pals able to help with what the MC was awarded for or any other gen about him? Tried the London Gazette site, but as useless as ever,

Cheers Joe

Joe

The info I have to hand at the moment is as follows;

He went overseas to France on 5 Oct 1915 and was entitled to BWM/VM/1914-15 Star. Nothing else on his MIC other than "DEAD 12/8/16".

There is a mention of him in the Regimental History although I can't remember what for. I'll look him up tonight when I get home.

There is something in LG but again I can't remember what it is.

ODITGW states that he was killed in action.

There is nothing held on him in the Regimental archive.

What is your interest in him ?

Michael

Guest J.Woodward

Michael,

Thanks for the gen. I'm an old boy of Truro School and am trying to compile a database of Old Trurorians killed in the Great War, J.SH.Shafto is one of the few I have been definately able to place so far. The search goes on!

Cheers, Joe

I'm an old boy of Truro School and am trying to compile a database of Old Trurorians killed in the Great War,

If any of your Old Trurorians were Royal Artillery officers send me their names and I will send you what I have on them. Regards. Dick Flory

Guest J.Woodward

Dick,

thanks for the offer. One of the chaps is a H.A.Millard, I;m not 100% certain but I think he may have been Lt Harry Albert Millard MM, 58th Bty, 35th Bde RFA, KIA 16 Sept 1916 age 22 and buried at Corbie Communal Cem. Extension. His parents were from Orpington, but Truro is/was a boarding school and he is the closest match I've come across on the CWGC register. Would be gratefull if you have anything on him to conform or otherwise,

Thanks very much

Joe

Joe

I was wrong, I don't have any LG details for Shafto. Here is the text from the Regimental History which explains why.

'The 4th June [1916] brought the birthday honour list; Lieut C Lindsay received the MC............whilst 2nd Lieut Shafto heard a week later that he also had the MC.'

Can we assume that Shafto got his MC in the honours list ? I can't answer that, but if he did, it would explain why he doesn't have a citation.

I looked at the 8th Bn history for 12/8/16. They were in reserve on the Carnoy-Montaubin Road. This is the text. 'The 12th August brought an unusually severe hostile shelling. On this day two poor wounded fellows who had been lying out for 3 days were brought in by B Company, and, in an attempt to bring in a third, Ptes Jordan and Stevenson were themselves wounded by a machine gun from Guillemont'.

Surprisingly, there is no mention of Shafto being killed on this day. The war diary may tell more.

There is no entry for him in De Ruvignys.

His service record is at the PRO. When I get it out I'll let you know what is in it.

I'm going to ask Ali if he appears on her 1916 cdrom

If you have any more info on Shafto I'd be grateful if you could let me know (even the smallest detail)

Michael

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...

Joe

The mystery of the Military Cross award is solved

Michael

I too am researching John Stanley Horsfall Shafto for our war memorial, could you please let me know how he got his MC

Thanks

Ann