Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sister Isobel Mackintosh

Roxy

The above named is the first name on the Nairn War Memorial. I could not find details on CWCG - can any Pals help/confirm that I have the details correct?

Thanks

Roxy

Roxy

I have fairly extensive lists of WW I & WW2 Nursing Sisters both CWGC & Non-CWGC, albeit neither are complete, and her name does not appear on either. However, if you have a pic of the memorial I would appreciate a copy and will keep in touch if I come up with anything.

In the meantime Jim Strawbridge may come up with an answer.

Seasons Greetings

Cheers

Tony

Roxy

have checked my database for her name - with no results

Chris

This is a copy of the inscription:

IsobelMackintosh.jpg

I read this as:

SISTER ISOBEL M MACKINTOSH K R ?

Roxy

PS Thanks - Merry Christmas

Roxy

what county is Nairn in please

Chris

Terry

thanks for that - obvious really - Im just thick

Roxy

I dont have any war memorials listed for Nairn on the Roll of Honour site

Chris

ROXY

Just seen your posts on SWMF and re-studied the pic that you posted for Isobel's name. I am now almost certain that the letters are R R C (Royal Red Cross) which would be more appropriate for a nurse.

You also list the names as Roll of Honour. Does this suggest that the names listed include people who served as well as casualties? The only female, Mackintosh, casualty listed on SNWM is Evelyn Mary, Royal Navy.

Hope I haven't spoilt your Christmas.

Cheers

Tony

Tony,

You have not spoiled my Christmas - not yet anyway! - I made up 'Roll of Honour'! I was just interested to find that the first name (even though they appear to be in rank order for the Great War) was that of a women. Maybe it was ladies first in Nairnshire in the 20's!

Roxy ;)

Here you are folks.

Isabel MacIntosh was the daughter of Mr A.R. MacIntosh of Glenlyon Lodge, Nairn and Kincorth, Forres, Morayshire. She had received her four years training at the Prince of Wales’ General Hospital, London and volunteered for service at the outbreak of war. From 1914 to 1916 she served in hospitals at Wimereux, Calais and Le Torquet. In 1917 she was appointed as Sister at Bermondsey Military Hospital, Ladywell. She had been night superintendant there before becoming sister in charge and she served there until her death from acute influenza/pneumonia on the 10th July 1918 aged 31. She was known affectionally as “Sister Mac” by her colleagues and patients. She had been awarded the Royal Red Cross (2nd Class). (copyright - Jim Strawbridge 2007)

Jim,

Thanks. It's definately ISOBEL on the memorial - but we know that that does not meananything!

Merry Christmas.

Roxy

Jim,

You are probably aware, but, Glen Lyon Lodge in Nairn is now a Guest House. I can't find much reference to Kincorth, Forres other than a previous occupant (Mrs H W Young) once provided a bronze piece for 'Some Forgotten Incidents and Personages in the Local

History of Shetland, by Gilbert Goudie'!

Roxy

Jim,

Thanks. It's definately ISOBEL on the memorial - but we know that that does not meananything!

Merry Christmas.

Roxy

You would not believe the number of anomolies with spellings that I have come across in my research of casualty women. I would say that about one in twenty will have differences in spellings depending on which base document you use. Not least amongst Scorttish women where Macs and Mcs are almost interchangeable - but not the case with Isabel/Isobel.

• 5 months later...

Jim

Was interested in your bio of Sister Isabel Mcintosh - as recored on Nairn War Memorial - can I ask where you found the information out and would you give permission for me to use it (with an acknowledment of course) in a publication on Nairn War Memorial (research is currently underway on those from the Great War).

Regards

Stuart Farrell

Jim

Was interested in your bio of Sister Isabel Mcintosh - as recored on Nairn War Memorial - can I ask where you found the information out and would you give permission for me to use it (with an acknowledment of course) in a publication on Nairn War Memorial (research is currently underway on those from the Great War).

Regards

Stuart Farrell

Stuart, from a number of sources but mostly from the British Journal of Nursing. Yes, use it with my blessing, as you have kindly asked, Jim

Stuart, from a number of sources but mostly from the British Journal of Nursing. Yes, use it with my blessing, as you have kindly asked, Jim

Jim,

Thanks very much for your permission.

There is only a brief obituary for Sister Mackintosh in the local paper, your research gives me a lot more.

Thanks again

Stuart

• 10 months later...
  • 9 years later...

How coincidental. Only yesterday I was researching this woman. For others doing the same, whilst she is Isobel on this memorial she was actually Isabel and can also be found as Isabelle on one of her two BRCS record cards. If anyone finds her in any 1901 census I should be pleased to know.

I went up to the IWM Women in WWI thing at the beginning of the week.  There was a comment about women's names appearing on War Memorials and I remembered seeing one recently, I thought it was some recent pictures I had taken but must have been an old one that I happened to look at.  So been going through collecting together the ones in my photographs but not come across yet the one I remembered seeing.

I had not realised that the forum software can find pictures just from the FLICKR URL, without extracting the image from it.  Quite a few forums are having problems with old pictures from Photobucket.