Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st/6th Battalion

Guest gen_wizard

Guest gen_wizard

Hi,

I'm hoping that someone can tell me where the 1st/6th battalion was on the 7/8/1916 and what action was being fought on this date. I'm trying to help a friend who is trying to find out about her great uncle who died on the above date and is buried at Peronne Road cemetary. His name is Frederick Tibbot Hughes and was a rifleman in that battalion. His service number is 4277 and i have found his burial record on the Commonwealth Wargraves Commission site but have found little else about the battle that he died in and where it was fought.

Thanks for any help that anyone can help me with.

Mike (Gen_wizard)

HUGHES, FREDERICK TIBBOT

Initials: F T

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: The King's (Liverpool Regiment)

Unit Text: 1st/6th Bn.

Date of Death: 07/08/1916

Service No: 4277

Additional information: Son of Richard and Jane Hughes, of 59, Arundel St., Prince's Avenue, Liverpool.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. D. 8.

Cemetery: PERONNE ROAD CEMETERY, MARICOURT

(Which we needed for the Regiment!!)

7/8/1916 1/6th King's in 165 Brigade, 55th Division. The day-by-day account does not mention the 55th on the 7th August but on the 8th they attacked Waterlot Farm and Guillemont. 165 Brigade attacked along Cochrane Alley , south-west corner of Guillemont. The War Diary may give more information such as when they moved in to the location etc.

Aye

Malcolm

Guest gen_wizard

Hi Malcolm,

Many thanks for the imformation, i'll have to see if anyone has a copy of the war diary for that unit. Do you know anyone that may have a copy?

Again many thanks

Mike

Nothing in the regimental history for that day apart from a mention that they were to be in close support to the 1/7th Kings in the rear of the original frontline for the attack of the 8/9th August.

Dave.

From the battalion War Diary:

7th August 1916 - Trenches in front of Maltz Horn Farm.

Bn in support as above until evening, when A, B & C coys, with 1 officer & 40 men of D attached to C went into close support to 5th Liverpools; Capt J. B. McKaig moved to HQ 5th Liverpool for liaison work. C Coy, under Capt Turner dug advanced departure trench in preparation for further advance by 5th Liverpools. A difficult task satisfactorily carried out.

Casualties: Capt E.W.K. Bennet & 2 Lieut Jerrett wounded shell shock.

O.R. 6 killed, 35 wounded, 1 missing.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

My ancestor, Pte Joseph Wyndham Onions, #3773, of the 1/6th, also died at this battle on August 7, 1916 and is buried at the Peronne Road Cemetery in Maricourt, so I find this information very interesting. I am still trying to find where a memorial would be with his name on it. He was born in Wales, enlisted at Liverpool and resided at Wolverhampton. He is not listed on the memorial of his birthplace, and I am still searching Wolverhampton. This is a very informative forum, and I must thank Joe and Ken for past help!

Cindy

If you're interested in visiting the area, the site of Maltzkorn Farm is marked. On the road from Montauban to Guillemont, take a right turn just as you reach the eastern side of Trones Woods. The monument (commemorating the owner and site of the farm) is atop a ridge just about 1500m down the road. This postion could control anything out to Trones and Bernafay Woods (to the NW) and out to max. effective range in any other direction. The line Arrowhead Copse - Maltzkorn Farm still impresses me as some of the best defensive terrain I've seen anywhere.

The line Arrowhead Copse - Maltzkorn Farm still impresses me as some of the best defensive terrain I've seen anywhere.

Could you explain what you mean by this? I am familiar with the area, since my primary interest is the 1/9th King's Liverpool Regiment who, like the 1/6th, were a part of 165 infantry brigade. I do not have a military background so I would appreciate your views on the merits of the land for attack/defence.

Regards,

Ken

Well, I say that primarily because the line Arrowhead Copse - Maltzkorn Farm gives you both depth and mutual support.

Depth: first, you can see a long way. IF the terrain has not changed appreciably you can see from both positions out to the Maricourt - Longueval Road in the west with little dead space and farther beyond that w/ more dead space. To the northeast you can see out to the northern tip of Bernafay Wood (observation would have been better with no trees) and Trones Wood. From Arrowhead Copse its about the same but from there you could also see the dead space from the draw just east of Maltzkorn Farm. As well, to the south you can see almost beyond the small monument to the French 153 RI to Hardecourt. The significance of all this is that observation gives you depth; if you can see you can react; on interior lines the Germans could move forces and shift artillery in order to counter any attacks.

Mutual Support: If you were to lay a range fan of about 45 degrees and approx. 600-800 m on both positions the amount of mutual and complementary support for automatic weapons would be amazing. Positions at Maltzkorn Farm could have engaged anyone moving northeast against Arrowhead copse w/oblique grazing fire (most lethal form of automatic weapons fire); those on Arrowhead copse could have done the same against anyone advancing on Maltzkorn Farm from the west. This mutual support could have been enhanced if forward saps were used from the Maltzkorn line to the west-southwest of the farm itself. Both positions were suited to provide mutual support to each other and, from what i see, create the potential for a great engagement area.

That being said; if 165 Bde attacked towards Maltzkorn/Arrowhead Copse using what is now the

"Fond des Mara" on my IGN maps they would have been in the middle of that engagement area....not an enviable position.

Thanks for the reply. I'll probably print this thread and take it with me on my next trip. I have walked that area on a number of previous trips and your insight will help to put it into perspective for me.

Thanks again,

Ken