Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Camp, Ripon Records

finkill

I am trying to trace my grandfather's WW1 service with the 232 Siege Battery as his Service Record is not in the National Archives. I have been informed from an earlier posting his number, 162488,

" .... would indicate a Gunner finalising his enlistment at the start of June 1917, unusually, at South Camp, Ripon. He could have attested via the Derby Scheme as early as Nov. 1915, but the June 1917 is when he started his service with the RGA...."

Are there any records from South Camp which will tell me when was sent to join the 232 who were already in France?

shirley

• 3 months later...

Hello Peter/Shirley

I am just wondering if it is worth contacting the North Yorkshire Archives to see if they hold anything for this period. There is also the Borthwick Institute at the University of York. It could turn out to be something or nothing, but it is worth a try to see how it pans out.

Regards,

Peter

............ and perhaps contact Ripon library - the local studies section may well hold something.

The South Camp RFA Depot at Ripon was used for convalescents. In 1918 my Grandfather was sent there, having lbeen discharged from hospital, until he was declared fit to return to his unit.

Bob

It would be very useful if you did find a roll of men that passed through Ripon, but very unlikely. To give you some idea the amount that passed through No.4 Depot, Ripon, from 1st April 1917 to 31 March 1918 was 12,023. The unusual thing about the batch that your grandfather was in was that it was relatively small. Some batches ran to 500 to 600 at a time. There is a possibility, and it's only a possibility, that he went to 1 Reserve Brigade (siege) at Shoreham, but the same thing applies there and he could have been forwarded to any number of places before being sent to a battery in the field. Frustrating isn't it?

Kevin

• 11 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 03/07/2019 at 14:21, Challis10 said:

Any idea how I can get a layout map of the south camp. I am researching the area as Ripon history very interesting.

I’ve attached maps onto your other post requesting maps 👍