Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Tunneller

Rouen Military Prison

Tunneller

I am trying to research my Grandfather , Sapper 197760 Thomas Young MM 179 Tunnelling Coy RE.

I have a copy of the 179 Coy War diary, and there is an entry in August 1917 stating that my Grandfather and 2 other Sappers were taken by the APM to HMP Rouen. I can find no records regarding any Court Martial or prison details.

Can anyone give me any information about the prison or likely whereabouts of local disciplinary panels that may have dealt with him.

My mother and her family, or now in their 80`s have no idea what he was sentenced for , so i am trying to deal with this family mystery.

Thanks

Jim

birchp
I am trying to research my Grandfather , Sapper 197760 Thomas Young MM 179 Tunnelling Coy RE.

I have a copy of the 179 Coy War diary, and there is an entry in August 1917 stating that my Grandfather and 2 other Sappers were taken by the APM to HMP Rouen. I can find no records regarding any Court Martial or prison details.

Can anyone give me any information about the prison or likely whereabouts of local disciplinary panels that may have dealt with him.

My mother and her family, or now in their 80`s have no idea what he was sentenced for , so i am trying to deal with this family mystery.

Thanks

Jim

Jim

for starters - The first two Military Prisons in France were opened on ships moored in the harbours of Le Havre (500 Prisoners) and Rouen (700 Prisoners). By 25th January 1915 they were full. The prisoners worked 12 hour shifts unloading ships, supervised by MPSC personnel armed with revolvers

Paul

sotonmate

Jim

There was also a prison on land near Rouen:

No 1 Military Prison,

Abancourt,Blairgies North Camp,ROUEN.

There is a bit about it in the website of the Western Front Association.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Tunneller

Thanks for your replies on this one. I now have a starting point.

Seasons greetings to all

Jim

goz

Have you tried downloading his records from ancestry.co.uk ?? On my g-grandads records it says the following :

C.C.123bde c.crimes trial from 7-12-15. Tried by f.g.c.m. 14-12-15. sentenced to 3 months F.P. No1 for overstaying leave from 7-12-15 to 10-12-15.

Remission sentence remitted by army commander (unable to read next bit ) then 37th division Dcv /319/21-12-15.

I didnt know this until I downloaded the records from the above site. Hope this helps....goz.