Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th London Rifles to 10th London Regt Eventually !

londons

Hi,

I would be very grateful if anyone could shed any light on policies or events in WW1 that could have led to these timings, transfers and postings ?

My great grandfather Pte David Martin Vincent was in the 6th London Rifles TF from before the onset of WW1, married in 1914 and volunteered very soon after. In March 1916 he had a newborn son and a photo shows him in the TF uniform of the 6th London Rifles.

The medal roll shows him as serving the following:

- 269365 - 1st Royal warwickshire Regiment (RWR) 20/6/1917 - 5/8/1917

- 360789 - Labour Corps 6/8/1917 - 15/2/1918

- 424457 - 10th London Regiment - 16/2/1918 - 19/9/1918 KIA in Palestine

Ivor Lee has identified his Labour Corps number as that of a coy serving in Egypt so it makes most sense that the medal roll omitted the words garrison battalion from the RWR posting since it is not believed that he went to France and a photgraph postcard signed in his hand is dated July 1917 when he was supposedly in the 1st RWR. There is still a nagging doubt that maybe he did go to France, got wounded and shipped to Egypt via Marselles ? The RWR museum have found no details of him.

Were there events in Egypt / Middle East or elsewhere that would have led to the posting direct to a garrison battalion of a territorial soldier straight to Egypt in 1917 ?? Any reasons for the late posting in 1917 ?

Does anyone know of the Labour Corps Coy numbers in Egypt at this time, he was based in Abbassia, Cairo when with the 1st Gn Bn RWR.?

Could the medal roll have been wrong in that it left out the words garrison battalion ??

Any thoughts on these issues would be very gratefully received as I am researching for my elderly grandfather who never knew his father.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Lee Wotton