Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any Worcs collectors among us?

Dimitri

Hi there-

I have in my posetion the pair to Pte Charles Pugh, born Hallow, Worcs and KIA first day of the 1st battle of Doiran, Salonika. According to the CWGC, he was part of the 11th Btl.

Looking through the web, I found a memorial in Hallow, Worcs, that indeed mentions Charles Pugh, albeit giving his unit as the 13 Btl. Now the question is, are these two people the one and the same? Well, logic tells me yes: Charles Pugh is not a common name (but not unique) and Hallow is not the biggest of places. Another point is that the 13th was raised, but never sent overseas as a unit. Instead its recruits were filtered to other Btls, so it is possible that CP joined the 13th upon enlistment before being trasnfered to Salonika and to the 11th.

So, are these two individuals the same person? Is there simply a mistake on the memorial, giving CP's original unit (there are other errors with the names on the memorial) instead of the one with which he lost his life? Was CP's original unit the 13th, and if so when was he transfered over to the 11th? I would appreciate if anybody out there could provide any information, best regards

Dimitri

Hi Mark-

Thanks for your reply. I have tried the regimental website and even posted a note on their forum. Unfortunately I have had to luck. I was wondering if anyone here could have offered a bit more information. Best regards

Dimitri

I think its a very reasonable assumption that 30688 Pugh, C. is your man on the Hallow memorial. The entry in SDGW records his battalion as the 11th, born Halesowen, enlisted Worcester, resident Hallow.

The only other Pugh on CWGC that has a Worcestershire connection is 25747 Pugh, Charles Albert, 2nd Battalion Worcs. SDGW says that he was born and resident in Kemerton Gloucs, enlisted Tewkesbury Gloucs.

Hi Greenwoodman-

Thank you for your reply to my message. I basically came to the same conclusion through the same route you did, even though I only used the CWGC site. However, I was wondering if anybody knows when recruits from the 13th were trasfered to the 11th. I also need to confirm tha CP's original Btl is the 13th. Any help anyone? Best regards

Dimitri