Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 French Naval Uniforms

alfisherjr

The book Uniforms & Insignia of the Navies of World War II shows French naval officers and petty officers wearing a uniform with dark blue double breasted jacket, white shirt, black cravat, and white trousers. Also shown is a similar uniform but with white single breasted jacket. Presumably both were summer uniforms.

However, I have a couple of questions about the above uniforms which I've not been able to resolve on the web.

1. Would either be worn with a landing party or parade detail? If not, what?

2. Were similar uniforms worn during WW1? If not, what were?

3. Could you guide me to appropriate sources on the web?

Thanks . . .

Al Fisher

afisherjr@aol.com

Hello Al,

Alterations were made to the dress regulations for petty officers in 1921, & for officers in 1931. Ratings dress regulations go back to 1858. A new tropical dress shirt with short sleeves & square neck opening for ratings was introduced in 1925 [2nd illustration on page 45 of your book]. Unfortunately I don`t have anything on French naval dress for the WW1 period.

Petty officers could wear the same uniform as officers when walking-out and for certain other special occasions, but normally they wore the dark blue single breasted high collar uniform [2nd illustration on page 43 of your book].

Sources:-

Naval Marine and Air Force Uniforms of World War 2, Andrew Mollo & Malcolm McGregor.

The Armed Forces of World War 11, Andrew Mollo.

Cheers,

ARABIS.