Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Birmingham War Memorials

t1418w

Hi

I have Charles in my book about the Old Vesyans. Son of Frederick Thomas and Ada Sophie of 'Ellesmere' 26 Harman Rd. He attended Bishop Vesey's Grammar School between 1902 and 1908, before becoming a chartered account's audit clerk. He attested on 11 September 1914 in the 14 RWR as Pte 14/988 and was commissioned into the KSLI on 27 Nov 1914. He joined the 5 KSLI at Vlamertinghe on 22 Aug 1915.

2nd Lt. J Simon reported from hospital:

' we took 4 lines of trenches on Sept. 25. 2nd Lt. Smith was wounded in the back by apiece of she'll which paralysed him and this was between the 1st and 2nd German trenches. We laid him in a sap head. Afterwards we had to retire back to where we started. We looked carefully but could not find Lt. Smith or the sap head. The shelling was severe'

Another witness said that '2nd Lt. Smith commanded 10 Platoon and was a tall fellow (6ft) he did not fear death. He was leading his men when the shell took him.'

Dave

Top man I have been trying to find out about this Shropshire L.I., Officer for a long time, nothing reported in local newspapers at Shrewsbury archive, and very little in regi history,

many kind regards for your help.

Phil

Tony

I am researching soldiers of the King's Shropshire L.I., who died in WW1, and all have a Birmingham connection ie born, enlisted or resident in Birmingham at time of death many are regular army soldiers, do you have or know where I can find newspaper obituary's reporting their death, any help with this much appriciated

SHROPSHIRE.

Sergeant, Arthur Wood, 5932, 5TH K.S.L.I. killed-in-Action BATTLE OF HOOGE YPRES 25th September 1915,

Born Birmingham, enlisted Birmingham, resident Birmingham

Private, Benjamin Beddoe, 11490, 5TH K.S.L.I. Killed-in-Action in the trenches RAILWAY WOOD 17th July 1915, Age 30,

Born Coreley, enlisted Ludlow; Son of Thomas and M. A. Beddoe, of 87, Barrows Rd., Sparkhill, Birmingham

Private, James Carthew, 9081, 2ND K.S.L.I. killed in action 4th May 1915, Age 24,

Born Birmingham, enlisted Birmingham; Son of John and Emily Carthew, of 2/36, Rushton St., Ladywood, Birmingham

Private, Herbert Gittins, 16114, 5TH K.S.L.I. killed-in-Action in the trenches POTIJZE WOOD YPRES 18th October 1915, Aged 37,

Born Macclesfield, Cheshire, enlisted Hereford; Son of Herbert and Emily Gittins; husband of Eliza Rose Gittins, of 30, Benton Avenue, Medlicott Rd., Sparkhill, Birmingham.

Private, Matthew Handley, 8694, 2ND K.S.L.I. killed-in-Action Battle of NEUVE CHAPELLE YPRES 11th March 1915,

Born Birmingham, enlisted Birmingham

Private, Sidney Walter Knowles, 18443, 1ST K.S.L.I. killed-in-Action MORTELDJE ESTAMINET YPRES 22nd April 1916, Age 20,

Born Kidderminster, enlisted Broseley, Shropshire; Son of Mrs. Elizabeth Knowles, of 3/100, Sherborn St., Ladywood, Birmingham

Private, Thomas McGuire, 6103, 2ND K.S.L.I. killed-in-Action Battle of BELLEWAERDE RIDGE YPRES 25th May 1915, Age 37,

Born Birmingham, enlisted Birmingham; Son of Thomas and Catherine McGuire, of 89, Great King St., Hockley, Birmingham

Private, George Pitt, 9392, 1ST K.S.L.I. killed-in-Action HOOGE YPRES 9th August 1915,

Private, Alven Robinson, 11796, 5TH K.S.L.I. killed-in-Action YPRES 24th June 1915, Age 28,

Born Northampton, enlisted Oswestry; Son of Mrs. Rosanna Robinson of 6, Back, 119, Aberdeen St., Winson Green, Birmingham

Private, William Voce, 7185, 5TH K.S.L.I. killed-in-Action BATTLE OF HOOGE YPRES 25th September 1915,

Born St. Martins, Birmingham, enlisted Birmingham

Tony

do you have any obituarys for following

cheers Phil

Sergeant, Arthur Wood, 5932, 5TH K.S.L.I. killed-in-Action BATTLE OF HOOGE YPRES 25th September 1915,

Born Birmingham, enlisted Birmingham, resident Birmingham

Private, Benjamin Beddoe, 11490, 5TH K.S.L.I. Killed-in-Action in the trenches RAILWAY WOOD 17th July 1915, Age 30,

Born Coreley, enlisted Ludlow; Son of Thomas and M. A. Beddoe, of 87, Barrows Rd., Sparkhill, Birmingham

Private, James Carthew, 9081, 2ND K.S.L.I. killed in action 4th May 1915, Age 24,

Born Birmingham, enlisted Birmingham; Son of John and Emily Carthew, of 2/36, Rushton St., Ladywood, Birmingham

Private, Herbert Gittins, 16114, 5TH K.S.L.I. killed-in-Action in the trenches POTIJZE WOOD YPRES 18th October 1915, Aged 37,

Born Macclesfield, Cheshire, enlisted Hereford; Son of Herbert and Emily Gittins; husband of Eliza Rose Gittins, of 30, Benton Avenue, Medlicott Rd., Sparkhill, Birmingham.

Private, Matthew Handley, 8694, 2ND K.S.L.I. killed-in-Action Battle of NEUVE CHAPELLE YPRES 11th March 1915,

Private, Sidney Walter Knowles, 18443, 1ST K.S.L.I. killed-in-Action MORTELDJE ESTAMINET YPRES 22nd April 1916, Age 20,

Born Kidderminster, enlisted Broseley, Shropshire; Son of Mrs. Elizabeth Knowles, of 3/100, Sherborn St., Ladywood, Birmingham

Private, Thomas McGuire, 6103, 2ND K.S.L.I. killed-in-Action Battle of BELLEWAERDE RIDGE YPRES25th May 1915, Age 37,

Born Birmingham, enlisted Birmingham; Son of Thomas and Catherine McGuire, of 89, Great King St., Hockley, Birmingham

Private, George Pitt, 9392, 1ST K.S.L.I. killed-in-Action HOOGE YPRES 9th August 1915,

Private, Alven Robinson, 11796, 5TH K.S.L.I. killed-in-Action YPRES 24th June 1915, Age 28,

Born Northampton, enlisted Oswestry; Son of Mrs. Rosanna Robinson of 6, Back, 119, Aberdeen St., Winson Green, Birmingham

Private, William Voce, 7185, 5TH K.S.L.I. killed-in-Action BATTLE OF HOOGE YPRES 25th September 1915,

Born St. Martins, Birmingham, enlisted Birmingham

• 1 year later...

I wonder if you may have anything on either of these two Brummies, or their regiments.

Pte Albert Plumb 17448, 5th btn Ox/Bucks L.I. K.I.A. 3/ 5 /1917.

Lance Corp George Wood 6294, 2nd btn Coldstream Gds. K.I.A. 30 / 3/ 1916.

I have found G.Wood on the Cadbury`s Roll of Honour.

Thanks for looking.

Best regards.

• 1 month later...

Hi Tony

This seems a very interesting project, Tony. I have all Royal Warwicks who were killed in the Great War in my database and am currently entering nearly 3000 who are listed in the Birmingham Roll of Honour, 1925. I also have over 300 on the Bham Roll who cannot be identified from CWGC and SDGW. Can you identify other Royal Warwicks from other memorials apart from the ones I know about like the various Corporation Departments. I am more than happy to do some data swapping. I am in Access but can export any data into Excel.

Hello Alan.

I see that you are transcribing names of B`ham men who appear on the roll of honour.

A couple of years ago I was successful in getting two of my relatives K.I.A. in WW1 added to the roll of honour, and went to the ceremony at the Hall of Memory in Broad Street, but still I see that they do not appear on the online version of the Roll of Honour. Despite a couple of emails politely enquiring when they might be thinking of updating, I have not received the courtesy of a reply.

It would be nice to think that you would add them to your list at some time, as they do appear in the actual book in the Hall of Memory.

The two men are:

17448 Albert Plumb 5th O.B.L.I. K.I.A. 3/5/1917, and 6294 George Wood 2nd Coldstream K.I.A. 30/3/1916.

Many thanks for your time. Sorry for the intrusion.

• 8 months later...

Wondering if anyone can help me.

My grandfather, Christopher Lesley Elijah Chapman from Bournville served in the RFA from 1916. The family believed he volunteered below age and that he joined the Warwickshires then transferred to the RFA but the documentation I have found only refers to the RFA and was post his 18th birthday. Any suggestions if this is a plausible tale and how it could be verified?

The other mystery is that it's always been said he volunteered with 12/13 pals from Bournville and was the only one who came back. (His best friend Harry Lapwoth from Bournville was also in the RFA and was blown up next to him) This does not tie in with the Bournville war memorial or the figures on the Cadbury's Great War plaque but my 87yr old mother remembers a Roll of Honour in Bournville School with names of WW1 war dead. I haven't tried emailing the school but when I saw this forum I wondered if anyone knew if it still exists and whether anyone has a list of the names on it that they could let me have.

Wondering if anyone can help me.

My grandfather, Christopher Lesley Elijah Chapman from Bournville served in the RFA from 1916. The family believed he volunteered below age and that he joined the Warwickshires then transferred to the RFA but the documentation I have found only refers to the RFA and was post his 18th birthday. Any suggestions if this is a plausible tale and how it could be verified?

The other mystery is that it's always been said he volunteered with 12/13 pals from Bournville and was the only one who came back. (His best friend Harry Lapwoth from Bournville was also in the RFA and was blown up next to him) This does not tie in with the Bournville war memorial or the figures on the Cadbury's Great War plaque but my 87yr old mother remembers a Roll of Honour in Bournville School with names of WW1 war dead. I haven't tried emailing the school but when I saw this forum I wondered if anyone knew if it still exists and whether anyone has a list of the names on it that they could let me have.

Hello htesh, and welcome to the forum. I have a document that I found online a few years back, which is the Cadbury`s Roll of Honour. Sadly, half of it has been lost, and I have not since been able to find it again online. What I have left, is half of the names only. I will dig it out tomorrow, and have a look for your chap`s name. I noticed with interest that you mentioned the Cadbury`s Great War Plaque. Could I ask what that is, and how it may be accessed? I have a great-grandfather that may well be on it.

• 2 years later...

Hi Tony, I have just found and joined the forum and I wonder if anyone can help. I am researching a soldier named Bertram Thomas Williams, born in Birmingham and served with the 1/6th Royal Warwicks. He was KIA on the somme 1st July 1916 and I am hoping to find a war memorial in Birmingham with his name on it, Thanks Ron

• 1 year later...
On 09/11/2009 at 21:23, Simon_Fielding said:

Hi there

I wonder if 15/1594 Pte John Heath 14th Royal Warwicks dow 29/8/1916 appears in any memorial other than the book of remembrance?

Cheers

Yes, I believe we may have Pte John Heath on our village war memorial (Fillongley) can you email me please on johooke@yahoo.co.uk? many thanks

• 6 months later...

Hi all, this has appeared on twitter, a WW1 plaque memorial dumped in a skip in Birmingham, it has been retrieved, does anyone have any knowlege of it and it came from, this is all the info I have, but it would be interesting to know who dumped this.

bye for now Jimmy

twitter link  

DomxkuKWwAQQYrx.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me if they have seen a memorial in Birmingham with our great uncle’s name on it please?  8556 Pte Alfred George Fairbrother 11th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regt KIA 10 April 1917 .  We have searched several possible areas but found nothing bar mention in the Hall of Memory. He lived at 12 Lime Grove Little Green Lane.  House is still there and grans across the road and he was employed as an engineer so there is a chance his name was on a works plaque.  Many thanks

Hi Alison

Have been searching but can't find anything, you would have thought he would have been on St.Andrew's memorial where he was married, however you may find this thread has a few avenues to search..  Born in Aston..  Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Thank you yes I did check St Andrews.  The family didn’t move around so I would hope he was remembered on some memorial in their area but perhaps it was destroyed in the 2nd war bombing or when anything of architectural value seemed to be demolished to make way for new roads and buildings.  There isn’t a grave that is known about but it would be nice to see his name locally.  

A bit off topic but may help some one

I recently attended a funeral in Birmingham,the"do"after being held at a bus drivers club,not being from the area I don't know where it is but can find out,there I saw a big memorial to Birmingham drivers who fell in both wars..

:poppy:

Do you mean this one Biffo, Birmingham Tramways Memorial,it commemorates both World Wars and WW2 civilian drivers killed :-

West Midlands Travel Social Club
Wheelers Lane
Kings Heath
Birmingham

Edited by Knotty

Hello Knotty,sorry its taken so long to answer BUT im still unable to see topics I have posted in come up as unread posts?.:wub:

could be as theres no photo cant tell,all I know is it was by the exit on the right hand side 

thank you for your post :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, BIFFO said:

BUT im still unable to see topics I have posted in come up as unread posts?

Biffo

That is the case and probably always will be.

Your own posts will never show to you  as unread because the system deems that you read them when you posted them. To view your contributions go to your profile and look at the tab marked  "Your Activity". 

Keith

7 hours ago, BIFFO said:

could be as theres no photo

Remedied, photo taken from warmemorialsonline.org 

6239CA3F-DBC7-40A3-A32B-EC44C478E5F9.jpeg

Thank you Knotty ,yes this is the one :thumbsup:

Keith this is what I do

:poppy: