Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Birmingham War Memorials

t1418w

Hi

I am new to this foroum. I have for some years been compiling a data base of war memorials in & around Birmingham. I now have information on about 6500 men from Birmingham. In addition, I have the names, rank & regiment of some12500 men & woman from Birmingham who died in the Great War. Please contact me if you need any information.

Tony

Tony, welcome to the Forum. As someone whose entire family on both sides was from Birmingham, I am really pleased to hear of your work. So let me begin with this one:

Private 13261 Albert Baker, 7th South Staffordshire Regiment. A Gallipoli veteran, he was killed in action at the age of 19 in the Battle of Messines Ridge on 7 June 1917. Lived at 31 Burlington Street in Aston. My grandfather's cousin.

Hi Tony

This seems a very interesting project, Tony. I have all Royal Warwicks who were killed in the Great War in my database and am currently entering nearly 3000 who are listed in the Birmingham Roll of Honour, 1925. I also have over 300 on the Bham Roll who cannot be identified from CWGC and SDGW. Can you identify other Royal Warwicks from other memorials apart from the ones I know about like the various Corporation Departments. I am more than happy to do some data swapping. I am in Access but can export any data into Excel.

Hi Tony

Welcome to Great War Forum. As you can see Chris does an excellent job running this Forum. Unlike my poor effort in trying to keep the Pals Forum free of spam etc.

Keep in touch Tony.

Terry

Tony, welcome to the Forum. As someone whose entire family on both sides was from Birmingham, I am really pleased to hear of your work. So let me begin with this one:

Private 13261 Albert Baker, 7th South Staffordshire Regiment. A Gallipoli veteran, he was killed in action at the age of 19 in the Battle of Messines Ridge on 7 June 1917. Lived at 31 Burlington Street in Aston. My grandfather's cousin.

Hi Chris

Many thanks for the information. I have not come across a war memorial for Albert Baker yet. He is recorded in "The Roll of Birmingham Men & Woman Who Gave Their Lives In The Great War",book. The book was produced for the opening dedication of the Hall of Memory on the 4th July 1923. During my research it is clear that a good many Birmingham men for what ever reason may not be recorded in the Hall of Memory, further research required.

I will update my records to include the information for Albert.

Many Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony

This seems a very interesting project, Tony. I have all Royal Warwicks who were killed in the Great War in my database and am currently entering nearly 3000 who are listed in the Birmingham Roll of Honour, 1925. I also have over 300 on the Bham Roll who cannot be identified from CWGC and SDGW. Can you identify other Royal Warwicks from other memorials apart from the ones I know about like the various Corporation Departments. I am more than happy to do some data swapping. I am in Access but can export any data into Excel.

Hi Alan

Thanks for the reply. I do have a number of records for war memorials other than churches. These include most of the Birmingham Council memorials, some works, school memorials,Masonic Halls & Clubs etc. I see you have a copy of the Roll of Honour for "The Birmingham Men & Woman Who Gave Their Lives in The Great War". I have found however that not all Bham men are recorded. Please feel free to email me on subotone@blueyonder.co.uk.

Tony

Hi Tony

Welcome to Great War Forum. As you can see Chris does an excellent job running this Forum. Unlike my poor effort in trying to keep the Pals Forum free of spam etc.

Keep in touch Tony.

Terry

Hi Terry

Great to hear from you. This forum is great. At last someone to talk to ref mutual interest. By the way you did a great job with the Bham Pals Forum. Its a pity it no longer seems to get much interest.

Had a great time at Avril,s in September & am going to send off for a plaque for Fredrick Mason from the 1/8th RWR, the one who's picture I sent you a while a go.

Speak again soon.

Tony

Hi Tony,

do you know if either of these two are on any memorials in the Birmingham area?

Geoff

John WILLIS

Private 12153 6th Battalion Dorsetshire Regiment.

Died of wounds on Thursday 5th August 1915.

George Watkin JELFS

Lance Corporal 15/1313 15th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Killed in action France and Flanders on Sunday 4th June 1916

Hi Geoff

Although Soldiers Died shows John Willis as being born & lived in Selly Oak Birmingham, I have no record of a memorial for him. He is not even mentioned in "The Roll of Honour of Birmingham Men & Woman Who Gave Their Lives in The Great War" which is the original list of names in Birmingham Hall of Memory.

Soldiers Died shows George Watkin Jelfs as being born in Birmingham but living in Bromsgrove. Again not in the Bham Roll of Honour or on any memorial I have.

Sorry I cant be more help.

Tony

Hello Tony

Wondering if there in any mention on a local memorial of my great uncle Ernest Gordon Bennitt, of the 15th Royal Warwicks, killedin June 1916. I already know from Terry he is not on the roll of honour. His family lived at Harborne.

Thanks and cheers Martin B

Hello Tony

Wondering if there in any mention on a local memorial of my great uncle Ernest Gordon Bennitt, of the 15th Royal Warwicks, killedin June 1916. I already know from Terry he is not on the roll of honour. His family lived at Harborne.

Thanks and cheers Martin B

Hi Martin

No look either except he is listed in the book "The Roll of Honour of Birmingham Men & Woman who gave Their Lives in The Great War." This means that his name will be in the Bham Hall of Memory.

Tony

Thanks Tony

I thought he wasn't on the roll. Thanks for looking

cheers Martin B

Tony, as we have all drawn a blank so far, are you able to tell us which memorials (or pehaps which areas of Birmingham) you have covered?

Hi Chris

Sadley a lot of memorials were destroyed during WW2. Since then there has also been the closure of many of Bham churches resulting in their memorials being moved & often lost. Most of the memorials I have been able to record are within the Bham area. I have also memorials for Solihull, Knowle, Meridan, Hockley Heath etc. The problem within Bham is gaining access to the churches. If any one has any records please let me know as this will save me from hours of greif getting into them. For information I have listed below some of the memorials already recorded.

My ambition. My ambition is to record all existing Bham memorials & create a data base containing as much information about those Bham men who died duing WW!. This I realise is an almost impossible task. According to the Roll of Honour for Bham Men & Woman who Gave Their Lives In The Great War, there are over 12500. Any help members of this Forum can give would be a great help to acheiving this particulary in the Smethwick are.

So here are some of the memoeials already recorded.

St John & Peters Edgbaston

St James Handsworth

St Giles Sheldon

St Cyprians Hay MillsSt Augustines EdgbastonSt

Ann's Mosley

Raddlebarn J.I. School Selly Oak (WW1)

Shard End R.B.L

Mosley School (WW2)

Ivy Leaf Sheldon

Friends Institute Highgate

Elim Pentecostal Church Sell Oak

Dorridge R.B.L

Bham CentraL School

Avery Soho Works

Aston Old Edwardians

St Marys Washwood Heath

St Mary & St Ambrose

St Nicholas Elmdon

St Nicholas Kings Norton

St Saviours Saltley

St Saviours J & I School

St Stephens Ladywood

St Thomas-in-Moors Balsall Heath

Stechford Cross Stechford

TA Barracks Sheldon

Bham Education Dept City Centre

Austin R.B.L

All Saints Church Four Oaks

Sutton South Parade Methodist Church

Memorial O/S Sutton Town Hall

St Giles Church Packwood

St Thomas Church Hockley Heath

St James the Great Church Shirley

Kingswood Meeting House Wythall

R.B.L Wythall

St Peters & St Pauls Aston

Our Lady of the Rosary Saltley

Christ Church Yardley Wood

Hockley Heath Memorial

Meridan Oberlisk

Solihull Council Civic Suite (WW2)

Central Sec School

Holy Trinity Church Birchfield

St Edburghas Church Yardley

St Margarets Church Olton

St Christophers Church Mosley

St Margarets Church Ward End

Quinbourne Cebtre Quinton

Castle Bromwich Alter of Remberence

Magnet Centre (LOST)

St Pauls Hamstead

Richmond Public House (WW2) Demolished now lost.

Chester Rd Baptist Church

Edgbaston Old Church

Edgbaston Cricket Club

St Alphege Solihull

Immanuel Church Kings Heath

St Mary's Church Hamstead

St Georges Church Edgbaston

All Saints Church Four Oaks

All Saints Church Small Heath

St Mary's Church Acocks Green

Lichfield Rd Wesleyn Church Aston

Meridan memoial cross Meridan

St Johns Church Sparkhill

Emanuel Church Sparkhill

St Beads Church Sparkhill (Demolished)

St Marys Church Selly Oak

BSA memorial Small Heath

Bham Police Roll of Honour

Bham Fire & Ambulance Service (WW2)

Acocks Green Methodist Church

All Saints Church Kings Heath

Bham City Tramways Kinks Heath

Bham Council House Treasures Dept

Bham Public libaries memorial's

Bishop Vesey School Sutton Coldfield

Bournville Social Club Stirchley

Cadburys Swimming Pool Bournville

Cambridge Rd Methodist church

Clareden Suite Edgbaston

Council House Belgium Exciles (WW2)

Council House Public Works Dept

I do have a number of other memorials but my finger is getting tired & it is after all Boxing Day.

Regards

Tony

Thanks Tony

I thought he wasn't on the roll. Thanks for looking

cheers Martin B

Marti

The Rool does not give much information except for the following,

Bennitt E G L-Cpl RWar R.

Regards Tony

Hello,

I dont suppose you could have a look and see if either of these two are commemorated in Birmingham?

Horace Edward Stait, Private, 890, 15th Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Died 26th September 1916, aged 24, Commemorated at Thiepval.

or

Henry Samson George Stait, 11929, Northern Command Depot (Ripon), Fitter, Royal Field Artillery, died in Ripon on 11th March 1917, aged 47.

If it helps they were from the Handsworth area I believe.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hello - I'd be much obliged if you could have a look to see if you have a record of:

ADAMS, ARTHUR HENRY Pte 311018 , 1/1 Warwickshire Yeomanry

Date of Death: 08/11/1917 GAZA WAR CEMETERY. apparently a Birmingham native.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Hello,

I dont suppose you could have a look and see if either of these two are commemorated in Birmingham?

Horace Edward Stait, Private, 890, 15th Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Died 26th September 1916, aged 24, Commemorated at Thiepval.

or

Henry Samson George Stait, 11929, Northern Command Depot (Ripon), Fitter, Royal Field Artillery, died in Ripon on 11th March 1917, aged 47.

If it helps they were from the Handsworth area I believe.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi

I have no records of memorials for either Horace or Henry. Neither are listed in the Roll of Honour for Bham Men & Woman Who Died In The Great War.

I have found some information about them that might be of help.

Horace Stait. Soldiers Died shows him as being born in Aston Bham, Enlisted Bham, Living in Handsworth Bham & KIA.

The 1901 Cencus shows Horace aged 9 living at 32 Nett Inn Rd Handsworth Bham. Quite a large familey, Father William aged 52 a Carpenter & Joiner, Mother Elizabeth aged 52. Brothers & Sisters Ellen 29, William 25, Edith 22, Jessie 21, Elizabeth 19, Walter 17, Leonard 15, Cecely 12, Horace 9 & Beatrice 7.

Henry Stait, Soldiers Died & his Medal Card Index show him as Harry same number. He was born in Bham, enlisted in Southhampton & Died at Home. The CWGC show him as the son of William & Elizabeth Stait. However, only the CWGC shows him as Henry. The 1871 Cencus shows him as Harry aged 1 living with his parents William a Carpenter & Joiner & his mother Elizabeth at 9 Woodbourne Terrace Edgbaston Bham. I am unable to locate him on the 1901 Cencus but had moved away from the familey.

The only Stait I have listed is Fredrick Stait on the St James church memorial Handsworth. Possible relative.

Hope the above is of some help

Tony

Hello - I'd be much obliged if you could have a look to see if you have a record of:

ADAMS, ARTHUR HENRY Pte 311018 , 1/1 Warwickshire Yeomanry

Date of Death: 08/11/1917 GAZA WAR CEMETERY. apparently a Birmingham native.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Hi Chris

Adams Arthur Henry is listed in the "Roll of Honour of Birmingham Men & Woman Who Gave Their Lives in The Great War".

He is listed as Adams A H J, Tpr War, Yeo. He is therefore remembered in the Birmingham Hall of Memory. Soldiers Died list him as born, enlisted & living in Birmingham, Killed In Action 08/11/1917.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards

Tony

Many Thanks Tony.

Much appreciated.

Chris

Many thanks for the information. It seems a shame that neither are in the Roll of Honour for Birmingham Men & Woman Who Died In The Great War. Still there memories are not entirely forgotten.

As to Frederick Stait, thank you for that. I will look into it as there was a very strong Handsworth connection, though we know not of Frederick.

Thank you,

Hugh (a descendant of Edith Emily Stait, Horace and Henry's sister).

Tony

Please will you have a look to see if Private John William Perry 37206 1st Bn. Worcestershire Reg. appears on any of the Birmingham memorials. He was married to Harriett Amanda Perry 191, Bromfield Lane, Erdington, Birmingham and was a resident of Birmingham where he enlisted. He was killed in action 31st July 1917.

Myrtle

Hi Myrtle

I have no records for John William Perry. He is not listed in the Birmingham Roll of Honour. I am surprised thet having lived in Bromford Lane Erdington he is not remembered on the St Barnabas Church Parish memorial which is just around the corner (sadley recently involved in a serious fire).

Is it possible that the familey moved back to Wales following his death as I see his parents lived the Elan Village Rhayadar Radnor Wales & that John was born in Bala. This would account to there being no records. Bham Hall of Memory was not opened until 1923. It may be worth trying Elan Village to see if he is on their war memorial.

Regards

Tony

Tony,

Having earlier giving us your impressive Bham area memorials covered list until your typing finger ran out of energy what about a list of the rest? It would be much appreciated.