Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC take off accident, died of burns

Compo

Wow thank you so much that is very kind of you, is the large building 8 one or more hangers? Where would I be able to see a copy of NA AIR1/453 - Autumb 1918 Quarterly Survey of Stations? I am very much a novice in this field what is the CCI?

CCI is Cross & Cockade (International), an excellent journal for both researchers and for those exploring family histories (e.g. it covers the men and machines, though I suspect the numbers interested in the hardware is less than those interested in the squadron histories). They're currently issuing a fantastic set of ordnance survey type maps of the airfields of Great Britain.

Back issues of CCI are available on their website, including those when it was Cross & Cockade (Great Britain). One word of warning: in the days when it was CC GB there was also a sister CC I, whose successor is now known as 'Over the Front' and caters for aviation historians on the other side of the pond. The only point of confusion can arise with journal references, e.g. someone might say "there was a great article on xyz in CCI 1234 of 1980" when they meant the entity that was CC GB, so it's best to check the description of the contents prior to purchasing any back-issues.

On the subject of the Thunders of Lagore, Co Meath, from my notes he was the son of the late Maj. George Thunder (7th Bn. Royal Fusiliers) of Lagore, Co Meath, and of Margaret Pugin (formerly Thunder), daughter of the architect Augustus Welby Pugin.

Looking at the Irish parliamentary debates it'd appear that the Thunder estate was broken up in the 1920s:

http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/dail1926061500016?opendocument

and http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/Debates%20Authoring/DebatesWebPack.nsf/takes/dail1927031100021#N18

and http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/DebatesWebPack.nsf/takes/dail1944110800048?opendocument

The aeroplane shed was a coupled unit of 130 x 60ft HD pattern types. NA AIR1 453 refers to the file in the National Archives. CCI is Cross & Cockade International, the Society of WWI Aviation Historians. Why not check out our website at www.crossandcockade.com.

Cheers

Mick

PS I got Autumn wrong - pre SAFC v MUFC nerves; no need in the end.

Thank you Mick and Airshipped, for all the info.

Mick - is a coupled unit what it sounds - two hangers joined together?

I have only just worked out SAFC v MUFC are football clubs, I thought it was more aeronautical terms like CCI to start with.

best wishes

Sue

Two of the sheds were built adjoining each other, with no interior wall. Those shown below, at the left of the photo, were identical units to those at Mattishall - the photo shows its sister 51 Sqn aerodrome at Marham.

post-13730-0-89042900-1384289996_thumb.j

Thanx starlight and dolphin, I now know 1000% more about this than I have done for the last seven years thanks to the never ending amazing responses on this forum. Cannot think why I never thought of asking before.

This really corrects the family story that he crashed in the sea off Ramsgate on a training mission and drowned before they got to him, now where did thatcome from? huh.gif

I encourage any newbies, if in any doubt; ASK! no matter how simple. Some of us newer members with SOME knowledge are just dying to be able make some pay back by being able to answer sommething!

Regards and Merry Christmas to all,

Bill

Bill

I know just what you mean. I had been failing to find out about the fate of a particular soldier for 5 years. I finally put a simple request on the Forum last Friday. By 1130 that night I had full chapter and verse of circumstances of death and a picture. Incredible. I am perpetually in awe of the knowledge and generosity of our colleagues.

David

Thank you again Mick for the info on Mattishall and the photo of Marham that is a great help being able to see what they looked like. Have you ever seen any photos of Mattishall aerodrome?

Sue

Thank you again Mick for the info on Mattishall and the photo of Marham that is a great help being able to see what they looked like. Have you ever seen any photos of Mattishall aerodrome?

Sue

I've got photos of Marham and one of Tydd St Mary but Sod's Law says I've none of Mattishall - sorry.

• 1 month later...

Mick - do you have any plans to publish your "Gazetteer of Flying Sites" as a single book, rather than as a series of separate CCI articles? I'm sure there would be a strong demand.

Mick - do you have any plans to publish your "Gazetteer of Flying Sites" as a single book, rather than as a series of separate CCI articles? I'm sure there would be a strong demand.

The Gazetteer was intended as a series for CCI and the vast majority of those interested in early flying sites are probably members, so a book, as such, seems unlikely. There have, however, been tentative discussions about putting it out in digital format, with the site plans available for print out at full (A4) size. If that were to happen, it would be accompanied by a similar listing of non-flying RNAS/RFC/RAF/USAS sites (such as unit HQ buildings, Stores Distributing Parks, ground schools, RAF Hospitals etc) and details of home-based units in the format of the 51 Sqn summary earlier in this thread. Whether that happens or not, I don't know at this moment.